Replacement shockchord mount - ideas?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
So my L1 rocket flew and got me my L1. It then on a latter flight suffered a blown tube so at last I've cut all the tubes and gotten round to rebuilding.

This is the fin that I am left with.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464631827.734990.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464631838.963242.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464631848.352088.jpg

I plan to use a std but if coupler tube which is 8" between fin can and air frame.

Ideally the rocket is just single deployment.

How best to add a new point of shock chord mourning.

Throw an eye bolt through another centering ring and install.

11/12 = 99%? You sure about that?

I could do a new CR that fits inside the coupler and do it that way.

Can you explain more please.

You could notch the coupler on the inside and outside edges, then tie your shock cord to that before you glue it in.

Me? I'd use a cable anchor (think small U bolt), and attach that to your new CR. Then after gluing it in place you take a length of Kevlar that is just shy of twice the length of the replacement body tube tie loops into both ends, and attach your normal shock cord (tubular nylon, elastic, whatever) to the loops. When you want to inspect for damage, you just pull one side of the kevlar around until you can see the bottom edge. If you need to replace it, tie a new piece of kevlar to one end of the old and pull it through.

I'm using 1" wide Kevlar from OnebadHawk.

I'm thinking a new ring with eye bolt or ubolt. Glue that in as low down as possible. The. Glue the coupler on top of that. Still ease of access to inspect and change. Coupler holds it in place.

Here's how I do it.

First the parts, Just coupler section, another smaller one with slice out of it to fit inside main coupler.
This rendition just to fix a broke cord. So it's short.

DSCN5005.jpg DSCN5007.jpg DSCN5013.jpg

For adding back a section of airframe just do same with full size coupler. I no longer tie knots on end, not needed. [pun..lol] Pics make it self explanatory. I do Y-harness, makes the fincan drop straight, rather than a single cord, which makes it fall leaning. You decide whether a Y-harness or single cord.

Easy fix. This is 1in. Flat Kevlar like you describe.

100_4552.jpg 100_4557.jpg 100_4558.jpg

100_4581.jpg 100_4585.jpg

Back