Rocket Guitar, Summer Build Off Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skp

Reaction score
I only have a mindsim at the moment, but I am going to attempt a guitar with a forward mounted cluster of 6 motors. You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic that wins this thing.

I only have a mindsim at the moment, but I am going to attempt a guitar with a forward mounted cluster of 6 motors. You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic that wins this thing.

Totally Awesome. Can't wait to see the mindsim hard copy. Just like the HAL 9000 gave Dave the hard copy read out on the imminent failure of the AE-35 control unit. Six canted tractor motors? I have the Big 8 clip whip ready. So at the launch I will say "Hey Pad Fuhrer, I am having a problem with the blue tooth communication unit in my pod car. Maybe you can come over and take a look." While we are distracted in the pod you can hook up 6 of the 8 clip whip leads!

Are the motors in line with the fins or is there going to be some flame fin action? Inquiring minds want to know! Were you thinking of a sleek electric or something a bit more acoustic?

Are the motors in line with the fins or is there going to be some flame fin action? Inquiring minds want to know! Were you thinking of a sleek electric or something a bit more acoustic?

I am currently mindsimming the motors in line. I have picked the electric guitar that I most would like to replicate. I had though that the motors could represent the tuning pegs, but the guitar I am looking at doesn't really lend itself to that. Mostly been avoiding my computers. They are all infected with Microsoft windows upgrade virus.

Guys, I saw saw Skp at the launch yesterday. Showed him the clip whip and asked if he needed any 18mm motor tubes for the six C6 motors he was going to use. He told me he was not going to use 18mm. That it is going to be MICROMAXX Powered!

220px-Scoleciphobia_gummi_worms.jpgHome_alone.jpg

SCREAM! PERMANENT Macaulay Culkin FACE !

MICROMAXX!
Robbie_Rist_Cousin_Oliver_Brady_Bunch_1974.JPG

CRAZY!
Ann_B._Davis_1977.jpg

ODDROC!
The_Brady_Bunch_Eve_Plumb_1973.jpg

MARSHA! MARSHA! MARSHA!

Our Level Three Certified LCO said it was a completely stupid idea and that he loved it! Canted, clustered, tractored, micromaxx motors. Is it possible?

All I know is that what ever happens it will all be over in a second.

MICROMAXX BOMBSHELL DROPPED!

Last edited:
I have done a Quadracant on the Nakajima B6N and lit eight on the Lancaster. But a Sixy-cant, micromaxx, Guitar shaped oddroc? It will be like watching the Naked Gun movies: THE SMELL OF FEAR. Like hearing rumors of an eight tractor motored, plus three mid canted sea monster rocket somewhere back East. I can see grown, Level Three certified men terrified of a micromaxx rocket!

I have never launched a micromaxx and have only seen Skp launch them once at NARAM. I have heard the lore of "Chan lit ten for the win" with a spider on an R-7. Would some sort of hanging spider flashing on each side do the trick? Can you use regular micro igniters (no pryro) and get six to light at the same time? I guse with plenty of juice and maybe a little assistance you can light anything quick.

A Micromaxx rack rocket... oh my. :eyepop: Ever been done?

No micromaxx booster motors I have heard of. Just the little A boosters, and how much can one of those lift?

Oh my. Now watch out for contest entry rack rockets! Built my tiny bamboo skewer rack rocket. Used two marsh mellows and a piece of chocolate for the nose cone. Enjoyed a nicely roasted SMORE at recovery site.

Last edited:
It seems Daddy is making a macro out of a micro. They said man could not fly, and look at us now. They said we would never reach the moon, they were wrong. They said we could not grow potatoes on Mars, who is laughing now. They said we would never colonize the 4th planet orbiting Sualocin, and they were finally right. This will be an interesting project that will force me to try new things, like dipping micromaxx ignitors in pyrogen and possibly even a relay launch setup. I only have the summer to do it in. The only thing I can say is I am going to go small or go home.

Skp;
6 canted MMX-II or MMX-II-NE (sort of boosters) is not out of the question. While I haven't built a tractor Micro cluster, I've built and flown many 6, 8 & 10 motor standard cluster micro models including a 6- inline XB-70 pmc (Super Heavy)

You are absoluely correct you will need pyrogen tipped igniters (supplied Q2's with a pyrodex-NL dip works well.) and a RELAY ignition system with the HD battery at the launcher.

Keep in mind no matter how well made a clip-whip, it is ONLY an extension of the Launch system to which it is connected to. Your clips leads should be kept as short as practical for you application (try not to exceed 18-20") and should be at least 16ga Stranded copper wire. while connecting these leads to igniters try to leave a small loop of wire that will allow the model to begin to raise before ripping out the igniter.

I've successfully flown 6 motor MMX clusters from a 10amp DPDT relay (it is important to break both Pos & Neg poles) using a freshly charged 7amp/hr gel-cell battery.

My only concern with this project is the SIZE and expected Mass of your Guitar. I also play the guitar so have a pretty good idea of general size. You haven't mentioned what Scale you will be building this Odd-Roc. Could it be a ukulele instead of a full size guitar? Are you planning on down-scaling the guitar model to keep the model somewhere around 42g to 85g??

MMX-II and MMX-II-NE motors are .285Ns motors both have an average .854s delay but the NE motors have no ejection charge (used as Booster motors). MMX-II's initial weight is 1.1g, MMX-II-NE initial weight is 1.0g. Perhaps these numbers will help a little. 6 MMX motors will give 1.71Ns of thrust (a very low end A motor) so if it were my model I'd try to keep the LOWt. around 42-50g to give it any chance of somewhat decent altitude (the XB-70 gets about 12feet).

something else to bare in mind; by canting the motors we are also reducing the applied thrust, meaning the model should be built on the lighter side.
Good luck, Can't wait to see a drawing or photos of the finished Odd-Roc.

MM 337h2-sm_XB-70 6 motorcluster Wired for 1st flt_09-18-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01a1c-sm_XB-70 cluster clip connect_09-22-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01a2_6x MMX Cluster Valkyrie almost apogee_09-22-07.jpg

MM 337h-sm_XB-70 Valkyrie 180th Micro Cluster PMC_09-10-07.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Micromeister, for your extremely valueable practical experience, knowledge and numbers. It demostrates that I am not completely out to lunch, brunch perhaps, but not lunch. Out to lunch would be Jimmy Page's double neck guitar with 12 canted, in-line, Micromaxx tractor motors. Oh, that sounds amazing:surprised: Maybe next year if this project goes okay.

10-led-zpelin-083007.jpg

Like in "This is Spinal Tap" Skp is blowing by 11 and going straight to 12! Hopefully he will put down inches instead of feet for the dimensions on the napkin design. Resulting in a micro sized model similar to the one that was in the move. The effect will be much larger than the Stonehenge model was for the band.

Guitar Rockets ROCK!:headbang: Just think of the interactive simulation software! Just like the video game. Learn to build canted tractor motored rockets by following the colors on the screen! Metal is great, especially for nosecone tips, fin cans, motor cases and even for ingredients in the motor. Go to the School of Rock.

I placed an order with Fliskits for necessary parts for my rocket, and Jim Flis had a server malfuction that caused him not to ship my order for about 4 weeks. True to his advertising word he sent me an "Overdue"! I feel like I have won the lottery. I will of course do a build thread in a bit, but for now I am way behind on my contest build.
Overdue in the bag.jpg

Back