Official Summer Build Off Contest sign in thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, maybe I'll document my D R/G model for NARAM. It has to be free flight; they disallowed R/C this year. Planning on foam wing cores, vac bagged 1oz kevlar, CF boom slide wing design. Unfortunately OpenRocket will not handle this very well :)

I say build what you desire. Do not be a slave to the pink book, unless you are competing for real. This is friendly and fun using most of the rules you would find at your local club launch. Relax and expand your horizons. Mindsim is OK here.

Hah, I *am* competing for real, and will be at NARAM for maybe the 14th time. This will be kinda a new build for me, never made a slide-wing in this power range before.

I'm planning on building something for this. The trouble is that every time I think I have it sorted out, I look at some of the other Rocksim files I've created and think I've found a better choice. So, I'm down to 5 or 6 that are likely candidates; narrowing it past that is tough. Either way, I don't think I'll have time to work on it prior to URRF3, so I'm not worrying about it too much yet...

I've had this one stuck in my head for a while. So this year I'll attempt:

X2 - Evel Knievel

View attachment 293465

Of course, you could just buy this:
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-snake-jumper-ka-14/
Though it might not be as scale as you wanted...

For what its worth, my interpretation for this contest was for unique designs, as in the form of the rocket was something unique that the builder devises. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would think that a scale model goes against the spirit of the contest, since you aren't generating a new, unique design, but copying an existing design in smaller scale. I don't mean to be a stickler, but I'd like to be clear on Scotty's intent here.

Last edited:
Well, the nature of my question comes not because the Semroc kit exists, but rather because the design you're building is a scale replica of rocket vehicle that existed. The Evel Knievel rocket cycle is definitely unconventional, and way cooler than a typical 3FNC rocket. I agree that there are different interpretations of the term. I took "unique" in the intellectual property sense - that the design in question is new, novel, or is otherwise without precedent. Its sort of like how all cars have 4 wheels and an engine, but if Brand X starts directly patterning Brand Y for style and shape, Brand Y takes them to court (for that reason, automotive styling is also typically protected as well naming). So, really the question is what do we mean by "unique" within the scope of this competition? Is it something that's not directly derived from something else, or is something that is simply unconventional? I suppose that asking even that question opens up a bunch of other issues, and comes down to where is the line drawn? My own interpretation was that he meant "unique" as not derived from, or inspired by, another rocket (either model or full size).

Part of the reason for asking the question isn't to stomp on your build, I swear, but rather open up options for me. If Scotty Dog says that's within the scope of what he envisioned, then its OK by me, I just want clarification since I haven't decided what I'm building yet. If designing a scale model of an unconventional or uncommonly modeled subject is OK, then I might well build the model of the Boeing Delta III rocket that I've been meaning to do. The Delta III is also a unique rocket, in the sense that its shape and configuration are different than other similar rockets, and in that isn't really ever modeled. But that's a different sense of the term "unique" than I used before, and different from what I assumed his intent to be. If his intent is that the builder is to devise a rocket that isn't directly inspired by another rocket, then I'll have to go with something else.

I apologize for injecting anal retentiveness into what is supposed to be a light-hearted and fun challenge. Again, its not my intent to be a pain, but unfortunately as soon as there are rules governing a competition, it complicates things... :bang:

Last edited:
I would think any scratch build you are designing yourself will do. It can be scale or even a kitbashing like a goony. As long as you add some sort of uniqueness. In the end it is the people's choice anyway. That will decide the big money prizes��.

Funny thing is that I didn't even think about scale builds when this contest started, but that is a good question. While the rules don't state anything specifically on it, it does note:

"2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule. "

So whether a scale build is an "original design" would be the question I would think. However the judges can update and change rules to clarify...

Judges? :gavel:

Funny thing is that I didn't even think about scale builds when this contest started, but that is a good question. While the rules don't state anything specifically on it, it does note:

"2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule. "

So whether a scale build is an "original design" would be the question I would think. However the judges can update and change rules to clarify...

Judges? :gavel:
Well, we the board have decided that the X-2 will not be allowed as an entry. I sent a PM to danb notifying him of this decision.
I will apologize for not getting this matter taken care of sooner. It was brought to me attention by one of the board members just recently.

If his intent is that the builder is to devise a rocket that isn't directly inspired by another rocket, then I'll have to go with something else.

I apologize for injecting anal retentiveness into what is supposed to be a light-hearted and fun challenge. Again, its not my intent to be a pain, but unfortunately as soon as there are rules governing a competition, it complicates things... :bang:

One part you hit the nail on the head..unfortunately as soon as there are rules governing a competition, it complicates things... :bang:
Again, to try and keep it simply, the more "MY OWN" in the design the better. I do believe people here on TRF know Scotty Dog enough to get what he's looking for.
We could kick and pick the rules to death,but, that aint happening.
There are 3 of us making the decisions on what's allowed and what's not.
Fair enough in me book.

One part you hit the nail on the head..unfortunately as soon as there are rules governing a competition, it complicates things... :bang:
Again, to try and keep it simply, the more "MY OWN" in the design the better. I do believe people here on TRF know Scotty Dog enough to get what he's looking for.
Fair enough in me book.

Shout out to Scotty and the judges for setting this up! I can see it's not easy and so the time and sacrifice is well appreciated. I think we can say that so far it's a rousing success! :clap:

BTW - Do I get extra points for
brownnoser.gif
?

Shout out to Scotty and the judges for setting this up! I can see it's not easy and so the time and sacrifice is well appreciated. I think we can say that so far it's a rousing success! :clap:

BTW - Do I get extra points for
brownnoser.gif
?
Thanks!
I couldn't agree more on saying its been a rousing success up to this point. And I'm sure there is more cool designs to come.
I am very very excited over what Ive seen so far.
I think by the end of summer, we all will have witnessed some of the coolest build threads on TRF!

Thanks to all!
Keep-em coming.
I'm thinking all the builds would make for a real cool calendar. :wink:

Brown nosing ..no. However,sending brownies to the judges is cool.

Last edited:
Fair enough in me book.
Thanks for clearing that up. I don't want to worry about rules any more than the next guy either, I just wanted to make sure I had a grasp on the spirit of the contest...

I guess no one noticed that before 5pm est I deleted all my posts and renamed my build thread. No "decision" was required!

Please do note that the design and build continues!

No hard feelings at all. Good luck to the participants. :)

I guess you are rite.
Hey, the contest goes all summer. Nothing saying you cant entertain us with a different design.
Im sure theres more.
Thanks for the interest and come on back ya hear.

WOW- AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not online much in the summer. Its been awhile since Ive checked in on the contest.
Just want to say its really wicked cool seeing all the wicked really cool designs.
You guys are making the contest awesome!

I'm gonna say good luck to the judges... there's a crazy assortment of cool stuff getting built right now. I supposed at least some of them won't get finished and flown before labor day, which will thin the herd a bit, but... it is gonna be some hard picking. Right now I'd have no idea how to choose a winner the way things are going.

I'm gonna have to pull out of this competition. 1, I have no chance when I look at some of the other builds. :p 2, I have 2 other builds that will be taking the majority of my time. 3, I won't have access to a launch field until after Labor Day. So I officially pull out of this contest. :)

The time has come..Start Your Builds!!!
This is the thread to let us know that you are entering the "My Own Design Summer Build Off Contest."
Let us know who you are and post a link to your build thread.
Doesn't have to be a Start to finish build thread, altho it would be nice. We just need a few pics of your build and some kind of proof of a successful flight.
Have fun.
Oh ya. we do have some rules.
General Rules
1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-**** will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are as follows:
A. the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Prizes
1. The prizes will be distributed as a "kitty box" type manner. All prizes will be placed in a pool. The first place entry gets the first choice on their prize, second place gets second choice, etc.

Thanks

Scotty Dog
ioki

Back