Official Summer Build Off Contest sign in thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
The time has come..Start Your Builds!!!
This is the thread to let us know that you are entering the "My Own Design Summer Build Off Contest."
Let us know who you are and post a link to your build thread.
Doesn't have to be a Start to finish build thread, altho it would be nice. We just need a few pics of your build and some kind of proof of a successful flight.
Have fun.
Oh ya. we do have some rules.
General Rules
1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-Off" will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are as follows:
A. the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

B. The largest motor used in the rocket may be no larger than a 29mm OD.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Prizes
1. The prizes will be distributed as a "kitty box" type manner. All prizes will be placed in a pool. The first place entry gets the first choice on their prize, second place gets second choice, etc.

Thanks

Scotty Dog

Last edited:
I'm in.
I'm thinkin' cluster multistage combined glider airbrake and horizontal spin recovery.
code name: Chimera

Woo hoo!

Tie Men A BoddL [ TRF Summer Buildoff ]
flyingpig.gif

1:1 scale boddl rocket, baby!

Last edited:
WooHoo it is off and running . Thanks to Scotty Dog for promoting the idea and helping bring it reality and thanks to all the others behind this great build off. I plan on participating and hope to get started soon . This is going to be great.

Doc Brown

Started too early to be eligible and probably won't be flown by August 29th, but I'll link it here anyway because I think of it in my mind as a summer contest build (though it really isn't).

Biohazard

I'm game. Let's see if I can take what's in my head and turn it into something flyable.

So many spectacular designs so far! My entry will pale in comparison to what's already being built, but I'll jump in for the sake of participation.

I've settled on the idea of fall-away side boosters, each with their own parachute or streamer.

At the moment, I'm thinking two 24mm with a long-burn central 29mm like an F15 with two D12s. I have to tinker with RockSim a bit to finalize a design before I start a build thread.

Might take me a while, but I'm in!

...aaaand here is the build thread - just a start.

Last edited:
This is strange. Scotty posted something that never appeared on this thread. But I got an email notification of it......:confused2:

This is strange. Scotty posted something that never appeared on this thread. But I got an email notification of it......:confused2:
I tried to post a Current Participant List that BB sent me with links to the builds. For whatever reason its not posting live links.
Anywhoo... I'm very pleased with the number of entries up to this date. And the builds..well..crazy stuff!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to post a Current Participant List that BB sent me with links to the builds. For whatever reason its not posting live links.
Anywhoo... I'm very pleased with the number of entries up to this date. And the builds..well..crazy stuff!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are going to have a bunch of build threads to read.

Just to be clear, we can use fiberglass and carbon fiber, correct? From what I recall, it's generally considered in the same group as plastic when viewed in terms of rocketry, but I want to make sure. :)

ABSOLUTELY NO-problem!

Hmm, maybe I'll document my D R/G model for NARAM. It has to be free flight; they disallowed R/C this year. Planning on foam wing cores, vac bagged 1oz kevlar, CF boom slide wing design. Unfortunately OpenRocket will not handle this very well :)

Back