Paint Sticky After A Week

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksm2001

Reaction score
Thought I'd post my problem and see if anyone else had this happen to them.
I painted a fiberglass body tube week ago and its still very tacky, cannot touch at all or it will leave fingerprints and possibly stick to my hand.

Primed first with Duplicolor Filler Primer using the cans in the picture below, then after 30 min painted the top coat with Rustoleum 2x Painters touch.

I used a different duplicolor primer (with Alkyde Polymer) written on the can, that I had left over and primed a smaller fiberglass body tube and used the same can of black painters touch and its good,dry not tacky at all after only a few days. Both were painted in the same location and the same day.

IMG_3830.JPG

Thought I'd post my problem and see if anyone else had this happen to them.
I painted a fiberglass body tube week ago and its still very tacky, cannot touch at all or it will leave fingerprints and possibly stick to my hand.

Primed first with Duplicolor Filler Primer using the cans in the picture below, then after 30 min painted the top coat with Rustoleum 2x Painters touch.

I used a different duplicolor primer (with Alkyde Polymer) written on the can, that I had left over and primed a smaller fiberglass body tube and used the same can of black painters touch and its good,dry not tacky at all after only a few days. Both were painted in the same location and the same day.

View attachment 292211

Sorry for your trouble: It's a pretty simple explanation:
You didn't let the Primer have enough time to out-gas before sealing it's thinners and vehicle under your gloss top coat.

Remember the Sniff Test: With you nose ON the surface of the painted part, If you can smell paint (actually thinners and vehicle)...it is NOT ready for sanding or additional top coats.

The good news is: It will eventually cure, but it may take several weeks or months depending on your local humidity levels. Until then, if you handle it you will in fact be adding permanent finger prints imbedded in the soft underlaying primer.

Haste almost always makes waste! Which is particularly true when painting. Finishing anything takes 3 to 4 times as long as building. That is just the way it is.
Take your time priming & painting, be sure the previous layer or coat is Cured before moving on to the next coat or color.

If you have an inferred heat lamp that should decrease your wait time but be very watchful of the gloss painted surface, as the heat can also crack and craze the outer surface painted finish.

Last edited:
Thanks John for the quick reply and your expert knowledge.

Haste almost always makes waste! Which is particularly true when painting. Finishing anything takes 3 to 4 times as long as building. That is just the way it is.
Take your time priming & painting, be sure the previous layer or coat is Cured before moving on to the next coat or color.

I'm glad to hear I wont have to strip off the paint and redo. I rushed this one:facepalm: which I normally don't on paint due to the dreaded wrinkles so this one threw me because the finish looks good.

Last edited:
I always wait at least one day between primer and color coat. But if you are using lacquer it is usually recommended to do all color coats and clear coat within the same day to prevent crazing. I rarely do this so I don't think it's a big problem.

What did the Duplicolor Filler Primer state as far as dry time on the can? I have seen a lot of different recoat and dry times with different brands and even the same brand but different types of paint. I came across this the other day with Rustoleum regular and Rustoleum 2x spray paint each had different options on the recoat window and dry times.

Best regards,
Brian

Thanks everyone for your comments, very much appreciated and helpful.

I have it sitting under a 150 watt inferred lamp now. Hopefully in the next day we will get some sun and heat back so I can set it outside.

Brian
The Duplicolor primer instructions say 10 min between coats and 30 min between sanding and painting.

I've had good luck with situations like this by lightly sanding off the top surface of the paint with some fine sandpaper. It seems to expose the underlying paint surface to facilitate drying.

Update
I placed the body tube outside in the sun these past couple days, parts such as the fins and upper section of the body tube are dry to touch. Unfortunately some airborne fuzz from trees and a couple small fly's did stick to the paint but I'll leave that alone until its completely dry. Then as Pat recommended I'll wet sand it lightly with 600 to take off the contaminants and apply the decals and hopefully can give it a coat of clear. I have until the end of June before launch.
I have used Rustoleum Painter Touch Gloss clear not the 2X with good success on previous rockets so I'm crossing my fingers it works out.

Back