Somebody please cheer me up....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichhcirm

Reaction score
Just found out today that I'm taking over work from someone who is being laid off. I guess I'm feeling survivors guilt. Wish I had time to start a rocket build...

Been there and that does indeed suck. When my company had a drug fail in Phase 3 we went from about 200 employees to about 48 in one day which we now refer to as "The Apocolypse."

Survivor guilt is real, especially when those you are taking over for are your friends. I got through it by telling myself that I would be disrespecting the people who were layed off if I did anything less than my best. Otherwise, I should have been the one let go, and that would have taken it from a situation that sucked to one that was downright unjust, and I wasn't going to be complicit in that.

I wish I could be more helpful, good luck.

Just found out today that I'm taking over work from someone who is being laid off. I guess I'm feeling survivors guilt. Wish I had time to start a rocket build...

Not that this will cheer you up but I'm betting they double your workload and no increase in pay, right? Man, I'm so sorry for you, been there, done that...for a while. Threatened to quit so they gave me a .20 an hour raise...a whole $8 a week. I quit and spent the next 14 years driving and/or owning taxi's...I'd look into options, a situation like that can't be good...

Go out and fly some LP rockets, take your mind off of things for a bit. If that don't work at least you got to fly some rockets :)

It happens. It sucks, but it's life man. Just do what you can, and don't kill yourself to swallow 2 jobs. If there's enough work for two, they'll have to rehire. If not... that's just business and that's how it goes.

Go buy a bottle of whiskey and celebrate making it.

I had it happen to me. I was promoted to manager and was in that position for 45 days when I received notice that another person was being demoted and he was taking over my position. I was bummed out! Years of hard work to get there, then wham bam your back at your old job. My replacement hated the job and I went on to be the best person for my old job and received awards for my work and government recognition. He retired with out any recognition.

Prove to management that you are the best person for that position and work hard. There was a reason that management released the others. It was not your fault or your doings.

I'm sure that the other person isn't feeling all that great right now. However, this is an opportunity for them to make a change. In 2009, I was a travel agent. I got laid off, and went back to school. Now, I have a degree, and I'm employed... And I'm in China. It doesn't always seem that way, but sometimes its for the better. I know that my co-workers never dreamed I'd be here right now.

Been there and that does indeed suck. When my company had a drug fail in Phase 3 we went from about 200 employees to about 48 in one day which we now refer to as "The Apocolypse."

Survivor guilt is real, especially when those you are taking over for are your friends. I got through it by telling myself that I would be disrespecting the people who were layed off if I did anything less than my best. Otherwise, I should have been the one let go, and that would have taken it from a situation that sucked to one that was downright unjust, and I wasn't going to be complicit in that.

I wish I could be more helpful, good luck.

I couldn't of said it better myself.

I can't relate, but I know if from the management side and I can tell you that it weighs hard all around.

It's business. It happens.

It's usually not good for the person who was laid off, but you had no control over the layoff.

You need to take advantage of the opportunity given to you, or else look for another job.

And the sun will come up tomorrow, and you'll get to build and fly rockets.

Bob.

Survivor's guilt is very common in a case like this. That's probably indicative of your empathy and compassion. Don't take on too much guilt though. There may be more to it than you know. Just focus on the job for now. Best wishes!

I know your pain. I was one of a small group of folks to be selected for a promotion and new position. Several of my good friends and colleagues were not selected and received separation orders or lousy assignments. It feels terrible to hear their stories when you do not share there predicament. You have obviously done something they did not do that attracted company to retained you. Honor their loss without harming yourself.

Thanks to all. The ax might still be falling...I'm pretty sure I'm safe, but I have a few people reporting to me and I'm not 100% sure they, or others in our group, are safe. Just trying to keep looking forward and hoping for the best.

Look for another job.

Obviously the company doesn't give a jack-$#$# about the people they laid off, and more obviously they don't give a jack-$#$# about YOU, since they are now getting the work of two (or more) people out of you for the same money, and even more obviously they'll cut your throat too the second they think they can dump your work on somebody else.

The idea of "company loyalty" in this day and age is a hoot. Of course you should work hard and do the best job you can for every second you are punched in and on the clock, but beyond that you don't owe them a damn thing.

Get a better job and get the hell out of there. And when you get the better job, don't give them two weeks notice, don't give them 30 seconds notice; throw your keys on the table and slam the door behind you.

If you work and do your best
You'll get the sack like all the rest.
But if you laze and bugger about
You'll live to see the job right out.
The work is hard, the pay is small
So take your time and sod 'em all
Or on your gravestone neatly lacquered
Will be these three words
'Just bloody knackered'.

Back