Shooting the tube... So, how do you paint intakes all pretty like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok in OR it's simple(ish), you use an inner body tube and adjust it to match the inside of your ring fins...

But when it comes to paint: How do you do it?

How 'bout the sim drawing, or pics to help visualize what you are trying to do?

What colors? Usually go light to dark.

Edit:

something like this?

100_3716.jpg

Last edited:
That is a challenge that I am contemplating for my next project.

One thought is to mask off the glue line and then prime the whole tube. Once the whole thing is primed, it should be an easy matter to mask off the outside and paint the inside.

The other option would be to attach the tube fins, and prime the rocket as usual. Once everything is primed, carefully mask the inside edges of the tubes and apply liquid masking to the outside edges leaving enough to overlap with tape on the outside, then mask everything else off and spray the inside.

I have had some other thoughts on this but they are really just variations and combinations of the same techniques.

It seems like it would be easier to paint the insides first and then mask off when dry. Then apply the external color(s) afterwards.

It seems like it would be easier to paint the insides first and then mask off when dry. Then apply the external color(s) afterwards.

That's how I've done it. With a heaping helping of patience. The key to no bleed is either airbrush or spritz the tape edges with the color under it to seal it, and then hit it with your main color.

BlackJack, that is AWESOME paint work!

Last edited:
Using colored tape or adhesive monocote might be another option. You can cut out the sections that require attachment/glue points.

Back