airbrush

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
After doing a search and reading users that have these, it seems these 2 airbrush sets are a safe bet to try.

Paasche H and HS sets.

Low on the coin, good name/quality , good pattern 1/16 to 1 1/2 for painting rockets. Easy to clean.

The only thing I see different between the two is that the HS has threaded bottle connections. (?)

I bought an AZTEK double action gun set years ago. Like the one pictured, but also came with a plastic external feed gun.
I hate the freakin thing. Paid good coin for it too. I'm packing it up and sending it to me son.
He can mess with it. He does the plastic car models. Hes big into it. Builds different cars with different parts, trades parts/pieces with others,ect.
I want a basic single action, good quality, easy to use , easy to clean, and low on the coin ($50-$100) airbrush set.
And again, this will be for pigmenting rockets, and maybe T-shirts,not doing custom murals on cars.
That's why I believe the Paasche H series is a safe bet.

airbrush hs.jpg

airbrush.jpg

aztek.jpg

I actually make my living as a professional model builder and the Passche model H is my go-to airbrush for 95% of my airbrush work. Once in a great while I need to do a line finer than 1/16", I will break out my more expensive dual action airbrush.

I an still using my 25 year old model H....the air tip and spray tips have been replaced a number of times. I manage to bend an air tip every year or so by dropping the airbrush...:(

I do recommend a small HVLP touch up style spray gun for overall painting on larger model rockets and mid power and high power rockets. Much easier to get a coat of paint on the entire model while the paint is still wet everywhere as it only takes a few moment to coat the entire model.

High Volume Low Pressure ...what type of paint do you use in that gun?
Same as in the airbrush?

There's a great thread over here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-best-practises-and-HVLP-setup&highlight=HVLP
that talks about how to get started. I was interested in it too, but haven't taken any steps to begin.
Thanks.
I like the Cobalt Blue Pacer.
I actually went to Auto Body Repair school for 4 years. That was a while ago 73-77. We had Dupont lacquer and enamel paint. Sprayed with big Devilbis syphon guns with big tanks hanging off the bottoms.
Its a bit different now with the clear coats and all.

I actually make my living as a professional model builder and the Passche model H is my go-to airbrush for 95% of my airbrush work. Once in a great while I need to do a line finer than 1/16", I will break out my more expensive dual action airbrush.

I an still using my 25 year old model H....the air tip and spray tips have been replaced a number of times. I manage to bend an air tip every year or so by dropping the airbrush...:(

I do recommend a small HVLP touch up style spray gun for overall painting on larger model rockets and mid power and high power rockets. Much easier to get a coat of paint on the entire model while the paint is still wet everywhere as it only takes a few moment to coat the entire model.

What he said about the model H +1 . The AZTEK is a piece of crap. Very gimmicky and way to many parts and pieces. The wife bought me one a few years back (bless her heart)

I use an Iwata Revolution. It's their low end model that goes for about $70 but has served me very well. I have had a couple of more expensive models but sold them because the Revolution was easier to clean and I don't need the fine precision of an illustrator's AB. I also purchased a studio compressor that rocks but was waaay expensive. One thing for sure, getting a decent AB is a heck of a lot of fun.

I'm torn.
Got on YouTube and got totally confused on what airbrush to get.
Dual vs single action.
Brand..one guy loves the ****** and another guy hates the ******
Types of media the gun is good for.
What you are using it for.
And on and on , AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to detail rockets. I can get a HVLP for spraying whole rockets or even stick with rattle cans.
I also would like to spray T-shirts.
I am somewhat of an artist.I do drawings and have all me life.
More of a cartoon type and detail like stripes, designs and effects.
Not looking to do a painting that looks like a photo.
I just don't know.
Of course the coin it will cost also.
I don't know, but thinking a dual action that can also do single action. ??????
For what the Paasche H cost, I guess its a good beginner to see if this airbrushing thing is really me game.

I use an Iwata Revolution. It's their low end model that goes for about $70 but has served me very well. I have had a couple of more expensive models but sold them because the Revolution was easier to clean and I don't need the fine precision of an illustrator's AB. I also purchased a studio compressor that rocks but was waaay expensive. One thing for sure, getting a decent AB is a heck of a lot of fun.
That (Iwata) had good reviews and was one that came up on YouTube.
Also came up when I searched "Best Airbrush"

I'm actually interested in both airbrushes for smaller rockets and HVLP for larger ones. I have done tons of Google searches, but I still have lots of questions, and have never felt confident enough to buy.

With HVLP, it looks like the ideal system has all kinds of filters and stuff hooked up to a wall. Is there some kind of starter set? I actually have a decent painting booth set up inside, but I'm not sure I can do HVLP without a full shop setup.

As for airbrushes, there are a couple sets on Amazon which include a compressor and "everything you need" including a how-to book I might go for. They both look similar.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Professional-Airbrushing/dp/B006FQCBZK

Here's the other:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Professional-Airbrushing/dp/B006HJCP8S

All I want to do is be able to get a decent surface without going outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I was only interested in basic airbrushing, I found a closeout deal at Michael's for 50 bucks. It's a Badger 200, single action, bottom feeder and it's been a pretty good brush for my needs. I wasn't interested in fine line drawing so a dual action wasn't necessary. It was the kit version. Came with the Propel and an extra air hose. I just use the air pump HF sells for airbrushes. Works great. Kinda like using a rattle can but a lot smaller version. Ya get a lot of mileage out of your paint with airbrushes too.

I have a Paasche H that I've had going for 31 years now. It's been through several rebuilds and needle replacements, and is still my #1 go-to tool for anything smaller than an HVLP spray.

I'm actually interested in both airbrushes for smaller rockets and HVLP for larger ones. I have done tons of Google searches, but I still have lots of questions, and have never felt confident enough to buy.

With HVLP, it looks like the ideal system has all kinds of filters and stuff hooked up to a wall. Is there some kind of starter set? I actually have a decent painting booth set up inside, but I'm not sure I can do HVLP without a full shop setup.

As for airbrushes, there are a couple sets on Amazon which include a compressor and "everything you need" including a how-to book I might go for. They both look similar.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FQCBZK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's the other:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HJCP8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

All I want to do is be able to get a decent surface without going outside.

You can do LOTS with HVLP without a full shop or complicated or expensive air filtration. It helps, but if you're only doing a few a year, and rockets and not cars, an acceptable standard is very easy to achieve.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ractises-and-HVLP-setup&p=1574294#post1574294

Last edited by a moderator:
The key is to make a decision and use that brush and get to know your tool.

My personal favorite is my Badger 150. It has three needles and three tips so it is pretty versitile, going from fine lInes to wide coverage. Overall, not a bad performer for the price.

I never had much luck with external mix tools like the Pasche but that is just me.

Iwata brushes are popular in the scale modeling community.

Aztecs are universally cursed in the scale modeling world. I did have one at one time and even got some decent results with it but it was more of a pain to clean than my Badger 150.

You have most likely seen this said many times in your research by now but cleaning is key. I know of people who do some beautiful work with an airbrush they got at Harbor Freight. They keep the brush clean.

Scotty:
I'm a retired professional Sign & Design painter, I'm still using my 40+ year old Paasche-H (actually have 4 in nearly continous use). Also have that exact same Axtec dual action air bursh used solely of extremely fine detail portrait artwork.

For what we are doing with Model rocket painting; Noone ever need spend the coin for a dual action airbrush. A simple, single action is all that is required and will outlast the dual action brushes by a very long time. Badger makes a pretty good single action brush also. I don't use them simply because I've been using the Paasche-H for so long:)

Ps: The Harbor Freight Detail spray gun is another great addition for very little money. Particularly for primers and other stuff:)

Passhe-a1-sm_SingleAction utility airbrush type HS_12-06-06.JPG

Passhe-a2_Backroom Airbrush type HS set-up drawer_12-06-06.JPG

Detail Sparygun-a-sm_4oz cap. cup_10-07.JPG

Last edited:
I'll catch some grief for this, but I picked up a Master airbrush on Amazon for $40 and it works well enough for me at my skill level. All these were laid down with the Master airbrush:

Primer:

First color coat:

Final color coat and first mechanical details:

I just got a Paasche H a few weeks ago and used it for the first time to touch up a repair on one of my HPR birds a few days ago.

I will be hard pressed to use spray paints for LPR and MPR rockets again. If it had a larger pattern I'd probably even paint larger rockets with it but it would just take a long time. Little to no overspray and it only took a moment to dial in the right amount of paint.

I just got a Paasche H a few weeks ago and used it for the first time to touch up a repair on one of my HPR birds a few days ago.

I will be hard pressed to use spray paints for LPR and MPR rockets again. If it had a larger pattern I'd probably even paint larger rockets with it but it would just take a long time. Little to no overspray and it only took a moment to dial in the right amount of paint.

Try the #5 needle in your Paasche-H, I've used it a lot on BT-101 (3.93") models over the years for both Primer and paints. Has a very nice wide pattern nearly as wide as the Harbor Freight detail gun.
Hope this helps.

Try the #5 needle in your Paasche-H, I've used it a lot on BT-101 (3.93") models over the years for both Primer and paints. Has a very nice wide pattern nearly as wide as the Harbor Freight detail gun.
Hope this helps.

I was using that needle, but unless I kept the brush within about 6" the paint coverage got very light. I think I may have needed to thin the paint a little more or maybe used more air pressure? I had my line set to about 25 psi. I was using an oil based wall paint that I thinned out a bit.

Back