MAWD programming

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket86

Reaction score
I'm trying to program my old MAWDs with a new battery threshold voltage, and also want to retrieve flight data. I have the Perfectflite DT4U data cable and software. I install to COM port drivers and USB serial adapter, and they are reported in XP and Win 7 to be operating. The Datacap software finds the new COM port and all appears well. When I try to make the connection to the altimeter with the 'acquire' button I get "no altimeter found" error. Everything is connected, the altimeter was beeping, but always it's the same result. I have 2 MAWDs and both react the same. I have tried the legacy MAWD datacap and instead of listing COM ports there are 2 blank buttons with no port number, and no port can be selected. I tried legacy drivers, and tried changing the port settings on the new drivers to match the old ones, all with the same failure. I have been unable to contact PF to ask them.

Does anyone have experience with doing this (and remember how), and can you give me any insight to make it work? I had hoped to use one in a new project this weekend, but now that's looking unlikely.

Thanks very much.

I had problems with windows 7 and 10 connecting with Stratologgers. Try turning on the altimeter THEN hit the aquire button, worked every time. However, that is not the way the instructions tell you to do it.

Select COM port. Turn on altimeter. Quickly select "identify."

That is how I remember it. I believe that "acquire" is to download the flight data once the altimeter is "identified."

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. So far nothing has worked though. I'll keep fiddlling with it when I get a chance and see if I can get them to work.

... the altimeter was beeping, but always it's the same result...
I have a MAWD and had the same problem. Here's what the manual says:

"As mentioned in the miniAlt/WD manual, the altimeter will only respond to the serial port during the period before the continuity check beeps begin and at any time after a flight. I/O through the serial port is disabled as soon as the continuity check beeps start and remains disabled until the end of the flight. "

and

"With the proper port selected, turn on the altimeter, which will begin to beep out its switch settings. At this point you can select the Altimeter>Identify menu item, which will stop the beeping and return a dialog box describing the model of altimeter and the revision number of its firmware and transfer software."

Buckeye's instructions are correct - you have to choose Identify right after power-on or it won't communication with the altimeter.

However I have run into a situation where installing the drivers for one altimeter created an issue for a different one. I was able to program my Raven's just fine until I installed drivers for another altimeter. After that the FIP was never able to see the Ravens again even after I tried reinstalling the drivers. So it could be something messed up the driver.

Good luck,

Tony

Update: I tried it again with Buckeye's sequence, and it did actually work. No port identification ever appeared, I just clicked the 2nd of the two, and tried "Identify" and it worked. Flight was a success too. Thanks very much everyone for helping and providing ideas.

Glad to hear you got it working.

I still use the serial port interface, and the COM port shows up correctly. Just have to be quick to select "identify." If you wait too long after power-on, you might not connect.

When using USB interface, yeah, I have seen the same thing with MAWD and other electronics - no COM port appears in the drop down box, leaving you to guess.

Latest posts

Back