Centuri X-24 "Bug" Build Started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to this one, I might print one of these up and follow along. I just got one of those 808 keychain cameras, and this might be a really cool rocket to fashion a forward-looking window or belly mount to get a "Bug's"-eye view of the lift off and glide recovery. Might be a challenge to get the right combination of weight/balance for proper glide and the best camera view.

I had one of these many years ago, they were a challenge to get anything approaching a "glide" out of them. Had a fair amount of clay strategically placed to balance it, and it still was more like a horizontally-oriented drop than a glide.

I had one of these many years ago, they were a challenge to get anything approaching a "glide" out of them. Had a fair amount of clay strategically placed to balance it, and it still was more like a horizontally-oriented drop than a glide.

I agree! Just looking at it and you can see that it has the glide of a bucket-shaped plane! :wink:

I had the Squirrel Works version and enjoyed it until an over energetic C6-5 blew it to pieces. Best it would do is a swirly glide-drop, but it was still fun.
2015-03-01%2013.06.28_1.jpg

DSC_6690.jpg
DSC_6691.jpg
DSC_6692.jpg
DSC_6693.jpg
I ran out of white 110# paper, so I printed one of these up on blue paper as a practice/test run through. Put way too much glue on the internal bulkhead and it got the main shroud too soft. Lesson learned for next time. Instead of the BT-20 internal tube, I used a 24mm tube lined with dryer duct tape and made a little 18 mm engine mount as a rear-eject pop pod, will add a cord and streamer to it. I made a conical nose cone from cardstock and painted it black. Colors are a little different when printed on the blue paper, but still looks pretty cool. The tubes and even the fin-support launch lugs were rolled from the blue cardstock paper. I got one of those color assortments that has red, blue, yellow, and used up all the white sheets, so I have got to find something to make with all that color cardstock.

I might put some of that high-temp BBQ paint inside the shroud to help protect it from the engine plume heat.

Last edited:
The blue paper looks really good.

I have a Squirrelworks one that was my first Fathers day gift. Unfortunately it got squished in a move a few years ago. Gotta figure out how to fix it with out adding to much weight. A fun flier for sure.

Thanks! I sprayed some high-temp Rustoleum inside the shroud, hopefully this will help it last a little longer. I need a break in the rain to do some test glides in the grass to adjust the balance. Still thinking about how I could mount an 808 camera in this thing. Might have to build another one for that.

DSC_6694.jpg

The nose cone I made from PayloadBay.Com: Dia1=.759 (ST-7/BT-20), Dia2=1mm, L=1.5" I can't get a cone point down to zero, with the 1mm I can roll it around a pencil tip.

Last edited:
Thanks! I sprayed some high-temp Rustoleum inside the shroud, hopefully this will help it last a little longer. I need a break in the rain to do some test glides in the grass to adjust the balance. Still thinking about how I could mount an 808 camera in this thing. Might have to build another one for that.

View attachment 292222

The nose cone I made from PayloadBay.Com: Dia1=.759 (ST-7/BT-20), Dia2=1mm, L=1.5" I can't get a cone point down to zero, with the 1mm I can roll it around a pencil tip.
@GlenP how did it fly. I made one and I put aluminum tape on the inside, how many grams should one weigh?

Back