Motor Storage?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 20 packs of 1/4A - E9s...

In their retail packs they take up a shoe box.

I want to take them out of their blister packs and put them into a Plano-like tray. Which one works best?

Make sure it is air tight. I use air sealed food containers in a marine grade orange plano box.

Why? I am in SoCal so there is little humidity to do wrong. If anything... I am worried about cycling engines in 68F OC air and the 138F Lucerne Valley air!

This is mine, it is a tackle box I found for something like 8 dollars at the outdoors store.

20150827_202700.jpg

This is mine, it is a tackle box I found for something like 8 dollars at the outdoors store.

+1, I use a similar box for my BP motors, a sealed container is a good idea though, like you, I live in the desert so humidity is not much of an issue.

The box that Ryan (Flyfalcons) posted is a Plano 2-3730 ProLatch tackle box. It is absolutely perfect for any 70mm long motors stood on end. I have a couple of these with bigger motors in them (24mm Es, 24 and 29mm composites) but they're less satisfactory for that.

Plano also makes a half-height version that's great for 13mm motors, and a spinnerbait box that's perfect for the black powder 29mm motors.

For me, travel and who know what the humidity will be at the next launch site.

Why not leave them in the sealed packages. Oxman surplus in La Mirada should have any army surplus ammo can you need

Longer term storage: Ammo Cans

Short Term: Plastic Marine box

I use the plastic boxed for the launch because they are lighter.

I live in Washington DC. one of those Humidity prone area of the country.
I've always stored my BP motors in boxes i've made out of other things (a Neon Transformer box, an Ammo Can and a plastic Long term Storage foot locker that contain my unopened stock.

I regularly fly OOP motors from a far back as the mid 1960's. and have a rather extensive stock of these Oop motors that have been in my possesion all these years.
In all the years I've flown in the DEL-MAR-VA area, I've never had a bit of problem with motor humidity swelling or any other weather related problem other then HEAT CYCLEING which is the only real BP motor problem.

As a matter of fact I've conducted my own tests by purposely Heat Cycled a number of different MMX, 13, 18 &24mm BP motors, leaving them in my Van for a couple years to cycle from 0-degrees in the winter to +155degs in mid summer. Of those motors I've only been able to Cato a few of them by flying them outside the 75deg mark of the hottest temperature to which they have been exposed. ie 155degs - 75 = 80def F. As long as I fly these marked motors at 80 degrees or higher they have preformed as designed. I have Cato'ed a couple D12-5's flying them in the 75degree range. Funny thing is I have been unable to Cato a MMX 7.1mm motor even after Heat cycleing them for 4 years straight in my van and flying them in winter in the mid 30 deg temps.
Conclusion: As long as we don't HEAT CYCLE our BP motors they will last indefinitely. If your motors are kept in a climate controlled house or garage you shouldn't have to worry about them at all.

Heat Cycling is really the only problem area for BP motors. I hear folks talking about motors swelling with humdity and have to say BS! the only humidity swelling would take 100% humidity for weeks. Sorry folks; I've tried very hard to make "Humidity" a factor in BP motor longevity but have been unable to prove or observe any "Moisture" related problem, at least in my humid neck of the woods.

If any are looking for inexpensive 30cal ammo cans: Harbor Freight has some all Plastic rubbler hinged lip sealing cans for 4.99 each at the moment. I use them for long term ammo storage...not motors but if you really think you need ammo boxes these do the job at a really reasonable price;)

Bulk BP Motor Chest-c-sm_2 pic pg_03-20-04.jpg

Ready Motor box-d-sm_3 pic page_12-90.jpg

Last edited:
When I travel and don't want to carry five of the Plano boxes (post 6) full of motors, I use two of those Harbor Freight boxes (post 15). I got them when I drove to NSL in 2013 and used them again going to NARAM in 2014. They still have some dust in them from the first use.... :)

Last edited:
Those are what I use for all my Estes BP motors. One for little motors, another for A, B, and Cs, and a third for Ds and 29mm BPs. Love 'em.

Estes motors fit perfectly. That's why we love 'em. They're cheap too.

Back