Cavanaugh Flight Museum 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
As many of you know, I go to the museums open house every year. This year there was supposed to be a half dozen visiting Mustangs but again the national weather kept some of the birds in their nests. However, we were not disappointed. They did fly two Sky Raiders , one AD-5(multi seat) and an AD-6 (single seat). The AD-6 was just acquired about a week ago !---20160521_111225.jpg20160521_112453.jpg--There were Two Mustangs---20160521_102032.jpg20160521_111249.jpg and of course that STINKIN BEAUTIFUL Corsair flew-20160521_110529.jpg--We did have a surprise visit from a B-25H , I believe the only flyable one of this variant-20160521_103450.jpg20160521_111731.jpg- she was a little rough around the edges( character). All in all , the show did not disappoint! I won't post pics of everything else since I did that last year but here are a couple of extras-20160521_101823.jpg20160521_114731.jpg20160521_115552.jpg

Corsairs are beautiful...

But Mustangs just ooooze...

Pure sex...

Neat. When did that museum open? I grew up only a couple miles from there.

David

I have been going there off and on since the early 90's myself. I always hit Discount Model Trains when I'm there. Pretty cool day! Haven't been in a couple years, might need to swing by soon.

I have been going there off and on since the early 90's myself. I always hit Discount Model Trains when I'm there. Pretty cool day! Haven't been in a couple years, might need to swing by soon.

I have not hit Discount Model Trains yet---I need to make plans to do that, I've heard it's amazing if your into that sort of stuff.

It used to be better but then again, so did everything else. I still enjoy going just to look around.

Says it was established in 1993.

Ah. I moved away in 86, and the rest of the family followed in 89. All my friends up there are now all in the Lewisville area, so haven't been past the Addison airport in many years. Need to stop by there next time I'm up.

Thanks for posting these Bill, great shots. Are you still on the weekend shift ?

I'm with Grouch, much love for the A-1 and Close Air Support.

Last edited:
There was a time in my life when I could have told you everything about everyone of those planes with such authority. Now I can't remember a thing other than the way they make me feel when I see them. That said, I seem to recall the A1D was the last piston powered combat plane built at the end of WW2. I also seem to remember it being able to carry as much bomb load as a B17. Lastly I seem to remember reading about one that actually took off an flew a pattern with the wings folded but I can't recall where that bit of knowledge came from. It's just such a cool plane. It's not P51 sexy but powerful in a battle axe sort of way. Good, all good.

There was a time in my life when I could have told you everything about everyone of those planes with such authority. Now I can't remember a thing other than the way they make me feel when I see them. That said, I seem to recall the A1D was the last piston powered combat plane built at the end of WW2. I also seem to remember it being able to carry as much bomb load as a B17. Lastly I seem to remember reading about one that actually took off an flew a pattern with the wings folded but I can't recall where that bit of knowledge came from. It's just such a cool plane. It's not P51 sexy but powerful in a battle axe sort of way. Good, all good.

Yea, I'm the same way. I used to know everything about all of them. Funny thing is, the day before the show , the birds were flying around the area and I'd run outside every time I heard a Mustang to see it . Then something came GROWLING over, it was that A-1H , and yes , I still call them A-1's and not AD's. Sorry, I'm Navy :wink:

Any piston engined aircraft that was used for close air support in the 70's is pretty darn good in my book.

Back