Estes Supernova (2011) questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggr

Reaction score
I recently saw a supernova and I kind of like the lines. I spent some time with OR and came up with a couple of clones. I'm curious if someone out there has built one of these?

If so what did you think of this model?

The first question would be, given my OR file, do I have the construction right? My concern would be with the staging, and how much damage is done to the booster at separation.

The next question has to do with upgrading the clone to accept 24 x 95 mm motors. Will the same construction work OK? In the attached OR file I felt it would be a good idea to enlarge the booster fins to keep the stability within acceptable limits.

FWIW - I wouldn't plan to fly it with the clear payload bay.

Comments and opinions would be welcome.

Diggr

View attachment Estes Supernova E.ork

View attachment Estes Supernova.ork

Last edited:
I had the original back in the 90s. One of my favorites.

The .ork file appears correct. I would imagine the only damage would be some soot/charring.

As far as the 2xE motor version, I would think that at 3500ft you would need some way of tracking it as I'm sure it would not be visible at that height.

@BEC That re-release is what sparked my interest in this model. I had never seen one.

@Cabernut You make a valid point. That motor upgrading would put this model somewhere in the cosmic void in very short order. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it's a good idea!:lol:

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Ah - gotcha. I just put a couple in my AC Supply order. I'd been thinking of cloning it - now don't need to. I'll have to ponder your 24mm motor approach.

I just received the new #7248 kit yesterday. Can't wait to dig in to it - after scanning the fins and decals of course.

Back