3D Printed Sewing Foot for attaching shroud lines to parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaHybrids

Reaction score
I was sewing a parachute the other day (192" diameter) and because of the size I am using a larger shroud line. I have a Singer sewing machine with a corded foot, but this cord is 3/32" diameter and definitely won't fit through that foot.

Our library has a 3D printer that you can print on and they charge a dime a gram. I have Solidworks so I modeled a sewing foot for this cord. Sent it in today and I picked it up after work. The print was definitely rough around the edges, but 5 minutes with some sandpaper and a file and it was in fine shape.

Put it on my machine and it kept the cord centered just as it should as I was able to sew on all 24 shroud lines in no time. The right tool for the right job makes all the difference.

Pros about 3D printing for this - cheap, fast, produces a functional part. Cons - rough finish.

I'll definitely take the time to take the shape and produce some G-Code for my CNC router and produce a nice finished part out of Delrin for everyday use.

Edward

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Very cool. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but I lack the skills with 3d modeling programs.

Wow,,
Really impressive Alpha...
You have to be super accurate to accomplish this...
I don't know anything about the software that runs a 3D printer though...
This seems like a difficult thing to do...

Teddy

There was a lot of measuring, sewing on a blank piece of paper, measuring to make sure that it lined up with the middle of the cord. I'm printing another with a couple features so that I don't have to do a lot of cleanup.

I'm also going to make one for 550 Paracord.

Edward

I have had a few inquiries on these feet. I'll be putting them up on Shapeways as soon as I verify all the dimensions. I'll also include an E-Bay link to the quick change sewing foot that they use. It looks like the Shapeways cost is <$5 plus shipping.

Edward

Quite impressive! Look forward to when they become available. Put me down for two Singer low-shanks. Thanks!

Later!

--Coop

If you print with abs you can smooth the finish with acetone . That's what I do with the nosecones and fincans that I print.

I'll be putting one of these to use the day I get one. Thanks for making these available.

Most higher end machines come with something like that as a standard feature. But that is very cool what you made.

I have not released the link on shapeways - I had them print one, and because they are a bit more accurate than the library I'm adjusting the dimensions again.

Edward

Put me down for three low-shank feet... picked up another machine. This one even has a reverse--that sure takes some getting used to!

Later!

--Coop

Back