New guy needs advice on NC bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhkaiser

Reaction score
I have constructed a NC bay for a BRB900 GPS tracker for the Wildman Drago. This is my first attempt at such an undertaking and so am not concerned about appearance. Basically my concern is will it work? :)

I used a 38mm motor mount and two centering rings sanded down to fit inside the NC. Attached a 38mm Retainer with a fiberglass bulkhead trimmed to fit inside the retainer, eyebolt attached. 5 min expoxy was used throughout.

My biggest concern is the retainer separating from the motor mount. Will the epoxy hold or should I add set screws? Photos attached.

NC  BAY.jpgNC BRB900 Sled.jpg

I have constructed a NC bay for a BRB900 GPS tracker for the Wildman Drago. This is my first attempt at such an undertaking and so am not concerned about appearance. Basically my concern is will it work? :)

I used a 38mm motor mount and two centering rings sanded down to fit inside the NC. Attached a 38mm Retainer with a fiberglass bulkhead trimmed to fit inside the retainer, eyebolt attached. 5 min expoxy was used throughout.

My biggest concern is the retainer separating from the motor mount. Will the epoxy hold or should I add set screws? Photos attached.

View attachment 291436View attachment 291437

Unless there's a huge weight in the nose, I'd lay odds that the retainer will take the strain. You can always try a ground test. The weakest link I'd bet would either be the eye bolt (if it's not forged), or the fiberglass attaching it to the retainer.

It's stronger (has greater surface area epoxied between the retainer and phenolic tube) than a bulkplate epoxied into a phenolic zipperless coupler, which must withstand similar separation impulses. That's a very nice design! The weak point is the phenolic tube. For a heavy nosecone I would use G10.

Last edited:
Well if his one bulkhead epoxied works then my two cr's should do fine. His looks a lot better.

Keep in mind, the bulkhead only holds the weight of the nosecone itself. The sled is held by the u-bolt.
Your design will work for sure.

Back