Wildman Drago Should I be disappointed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhkaiser

Reaction score
Being new to Rocket building I am lacking in what is proper expectations. Today I received the Wildman Drago kit. First, which is not a really big deal, the kit came with plastic rail buttons instead of the advertised 1/4 lugs. Although the lugs were part of the reason I chose this rocket.

More disconcerting to me is the way the parts fit. I expected to have a snug enough press fit that the rocket would stay together for a before photo. Not the case. The fins fall out, the centering rings on the motor mount are so loose that I can't use them to hold the fins in place.

Is this common? I thought I would have to do some sanding but now it looks like I need shims.

Is this normal?

at the risk of sounding pompous, did you try calling Tim at Wildman? on occasion some kits go out the door with issues with fit. your kit might have gotten some rings ment for the thickwall tubes.
Rex

Don't think I ever had a FG kit from any vendor that stayed together for a dry fit. Most, if not all FG kits I've built have always come with rail buttons. Wouldn't use anything else these days. Like Corzero, just build it!

They are kits that require assembly. They are not snap-tite plastic models. Your expectations sound high to me. And what do you mean "lugs"??

I'm sure he can send you some "lug" material. But like others have said, why bring this to a public forum where you know you are going to get many differing opinions, just call Tim! He will answer all the questions you have and do what it takes to make it right for you.

rail buttons are actually better then lugss, as rails don't whip. Most clubs are moving (or have already) toward rails for mid and high powered rockets.

Fiberglass kits are true "builder" kits. As such, they take a little more time and attention to detail to get parts fit, some more knowledge of glue choices, and some different skills. I equate Wildman kits as the rocket equivalent of Japanese garage resin model kits. Awesome value, fairly complete, a little rough around the edges, and if you have the skills and patience = AMAZING rocket. You get a more polished 'kit' with tighter initial parts fit from MadCow and some others, but you're going to pay for it. Either way, you get a highly functional rocket.

That said, once you build one, they're pretty much the same until you build an L3 project. Plenty of build threads to get you through. If you see something you don't understand or don't like, just ask and we'll set you on the right path.

Last edited:
I have a Drago and that's normal. Its a great kit and really flies well. Rail buttons are the ONLY way to go now days, I think I was the last person in America to admit it, but they are far superior to launch lugs.

Fiberglass kits are true "builder" kits. As such, they take a little more time and attention to detail to get parts fit, some more knowledge of glue choices, and some different skills. I equate Wildman kits as the rocket equivalent of Japanese garage resin model kits. Awesome value, fairly complete, a little rough around the edges, and if you have the skills and patience = AMAZING rocket. You get a more polished 'kit' with tighter initial parts fit from MadCow and some others, but you're going to pay for it. Either way, you get a highly functional rocket.

That said, once you build one, they're pretty much the same until you build an L3 project. Plenty of build threads to get you through. If you see something you don't understand or don't like, just ask and we'll set you on the right path.

Thanks Tom, most helpful.

Wow!

It's 3FNC.

I'de love to see the look on this guys face if he got a TLP Kit!!:lol:

If this is your first FG build, it's understandable that you're a bit frustrated and/or confused. It can be quite a new experience for someone not used to "shell" kits. My wife and I actually made a great set of directions that may be helpful (attached).
Tim is always willing to help, but if you can't reach him, feel free to PM me with any or all questions.
Directions here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3VyEjCG-d_KU2d3YzNvbWlkbEk/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh, on that note... My wife just flew her Drago on an H399 WT to 3711ft at MMWP in 15mph winds. This is a great rocket to use the Jolly Logic Chute Release. It'll launch on $8 or $40... You decide.

If this is your first FG build, it's understandable that you're a bit frustrated and/or confused. It can be quite a new experience for someone not used to "shell" kits. My wife and I actually made a great set of directions that may be helpful (attached).
Tim is always willing to help, but if you can't reach him, feel free to PM me with any or all questions.
Directions here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3VyEjCG-d_KU2d3YzNvbWlkbEk/view?usp=drivesdk

Great directions!

Minor note, OR is Java, not Flash based.

HTH,
-dh.

Mine's been loaned out to dozens (literally) of people who haven't flown Mid power. Toss a 7 second delay G in it, and its a great park flyer.

-CzTeacherMan

I have downloaded your instructions and will study them, thanks!

Wildman tells me he is sending new centering rings, thanks Wildman!

Tom I have to disagree here.
I make some of the best and complete kits on the market .
Look at my Extreme line of kits they come with nothing but the best quality components available like stainless steel quick links and welded or machined eyebolts High quality nylon shock cord and a Kevlar bridal.
My Mini's and other mid power kits come with Kevlar shock cords nylon parachutes standard not an option like the other guys.

Last edited:
Look at my Extreme line of kits they come with nothing but the best quality components available like stainless steel quick links and welded or machined eyebolts High quality nylon shock cord and a Kevlar bridal.
My Mini's and other mid power kits come with Kevlar shock cords nylon parachutes standard not an option like the other guys.

Not denying that Wildman kits have great parts. I LOVE the new FW nosecones, and your instructions are really good and easy for 'every man' to understand. Full disclosure: I have 5 or 6 of your kits of a variety of sizes in my build pile and spent over $300 in your trailer at Red Glare this year.

I have never once complained about your kits, and only asked here once about proper usage when I got a 12" parachute instead what the kit said I should have a 15", which you PROMPTLY sent out to me. The only other question I've ever had I emailed you and your responded back to me with instructions in under 24 hours. To me, that's awesome service from such a small shop, and the reason why, directly or through gifts from my wife, that we've spent over $1K with you in the last year since becoming a BAR.

I was just offering my opinion in the normal discourse of this forum and in context of owning/building/flying a decent sample of your kits (DarkStar Mini is my favorite go-to flyer, and I'm about to start a build of a clear red tube DarkStar Junior) but for someone doing their FIRST fiberglass kit coming from the usually tight parts fit of cardboard/wood without a frame of reference, there are kits out there with a different level of attention to detail to complete cuts on tube ends and in the circles of centering rings, and tighter initial parts fit. Heck, one VERY popular kit supplier out there who just expanded wipes the dust off of EVERY PIECE OF FIBERGLASS prior to bagging. That's gotta cost something. Me, I'd rather forego that in favor of a parachute or some Kevlar. Again, why I've spent lots of my coin of the realm with you and not somewhere else, and why I advocate your minis as first fiberglass builds.

The CUSTOMER pays for that difference up front in $$$, but the first time buyer doesn't always know that or recognize the difference, or this thread wouldn't be here.

Last edited:

Yeah,

Ditto that. If it's an economical sport kit expect the basic parts and not anything more than what is posted on the website. You want just about everything in a larger HPR kit it's there except maybe retention and one's choice of parachute on the larger
ships. Kurt

Do the Sport kits, including the Drago come with kevlar and a chute? It doesn't say as much on the site.

Each kit is different. Drago does come with it.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 5.37.30 PM.jpg

Of course the simple way to find out is just call to verify.

Sports com only with the fiberglass parts that is an economy line but I have been looking into changing some of it .
I will look at that this week end.

I'd say just make sure that's clear for the Sport kits on the site 'cause some of us have the harnesses, chutes, nomex protectors, retention and buttons of our choice already and don't mind providing them. In fact I think the economy will lead to more impulse buying from customers.:smile: Kurt

Sports com only with the fiberglass parts that is an economy line but I have been looking into changing some of it .

I've always loved the shell kit concept for those of us that already have all the fixings... however, it would be cool to see some add-on pricing. The more someone adds on, the cheaper the bundle.
Of course, running the website side of that might be a real pain.

Tim has always provided a quality kit at a reasonable and fair price. His site is a one stop shop for everything you need to complete your project. I also like that Tim offers a membership (which I need to renew) that provides additional discounts to his buyers. On top of that he is always there to offer his expert advice. With all that being said and if you are not happy with the way certain parts fit give him a call. I'm sure he'll help resolve any issues you may have.

I was just curious. I knew it wasn't listed on the site, except for the Drago, which I've drooled over for about 2 years now. I get chutes from everywhere depending on how I feel at the moment and I like to pick the color/colors. No real need to change the shell kits. I have two Wildman kits and bashing up a 3rd, never any issues going together or flying. Never any complaints about Wildman.

Mike

More disconcerting to me is the way the parts fit. I expected to have a snug enough press fit that the rocket would stay together for a before photo. Not the case. The fins fall out, the centering rings on the motor mount are so loose that I can't use them to hold the fins in place.

Is this common? I thought I would have to do some sanding but now it looks like I need shims.
I'm glad Wildman is sending you some replacement centering rings.

IMO, poorly fitting parts are unacceptable in kits at any price point, since there's no reason for it. Plywood and fiberglass are dimensionally stable enough that parts should be able to be cut for a near-perfect fit.

Agreed. Some of the responses to the OP were a bit harsh. As a new builder, he asked a legitimate question in the MIDPOWER forum, not the "Scratchbuilding, L3, 1,120,674 N-s burned in 2016" forum. Geez.

If something is sold as a "kit", then there is a reasonable expectation that the parts fit together and there is some level of instructions included. Poor documentation is a pet peeve of mine. Many rocket vendors (kits, motors, and electronics) would benefit from a little more effort and proofreading in their documentation. Maybe even hire a technical writer for a few hours to do the job.

dhkaiser: This forum is usually the best advice out there for kit building, like Crazy Jim's posts and CzTeacherMan's info above. Search the many build threads to find good examples similar to yours.

Edit: I forgot to mention JohnCoker's very educational website. Awesome.

Last edited:
Back