Wildman Drago Should I be disappointed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, poorly fitting parts are unacceptable in kits at any price point, since there's no reason for it. Plywood and fiberglass are dimensionally stable enough that parts should be able to be cut for a near-perfect fit.

While I don't expect perfection, I agree parts should fit, perhaps be too tight and require sanding (so there is a good fit after surface prep).

The pile on of "it's a builders kit" and "this is how big boy kits are" comments are offensive and rude. When you buy a kit, it should fit, and it should be clear about what's included.

As for opinions on including laundry or not.... For me, I'd rather pay a few bucks more and get a cheap top flight chute and kevlar with each kit in this size. Fly 'em, stuff it back in and be done with it. Sure at some point I'd rather swap chutes between rockets, but that's probably around the 3-4' size.

OP - Should be a fun build and a great flying kit.... enjoy and be sure to post some build and flight photos here :)

Agreed. Some of the responses to the OP were a bit harsh. As a new builder, he asked a legitimate question in the MIDPOWER forum, not the "Scratchbuilding, L3, 1,120,674 N-s burned in 2016" forum. Geez.

If something is sold as a "kit", then there is a reasonable expectation that the parts fit together and there is some level of instructions included. Poor documentation is a pet peeve of mine. Many rocket vendors (kits, motors, and electronics) would benefit from a little more effort and proofreading in their documentation. Maybe even hire a technical writer for a few hours to do the job.

dhkaiser: This forum is usually the best advice out there for kit building, like Crazy Jim's posts and CzTeacherMan's info above. Search the many build threads to find good examples similar to yours.

Edit: I forgot to mention JohnCoker's very educational website. Awesome.

Most of my kits do have instructions. And on top of that they are specialized per kit not one set for all kits.

The pile on of "it's a builders kit" and "this is how big boy kits are" comments are offensive and rude.QUOTE]
I just went over the whole thread and couldn't find any of the comments you are talking about except from you.
As a manufacture I am caught between a rock and a hard place .
I would prefer tight rings that I sand to fit each kit, however there have been several (notes) here about needing to sand our rings so we started sanding them.

Last edited:
As a manufacture I am caught between a rock and a hard place .
I would prefer tight rings that I sand to fit each kit, however there have been several (notes) here about needing to sand our rings so we started sanding them.

I certainly recognize that, damned whichever way you go. My comments were in general to people comments on fit. I've never had a fit issue with a wild man kit, my mini eagle claw was nice... Darkstar and wild man were good fits after light sanding, and the WME I've got on the bench is all fit well.

Last edited:
Agreed. Some of the responses to the OP were a bit harsh. As a new builder, he asked a legitimate question in the MIDPOWER forum, not the "Scratchbuilding, L3, 1,120,674 N-s burned in 2016" forum. Geez.

If something is sold as a "kit", then there is a reasonable expectation that the parts fit together and there is some level of instructions included. Poor documentation is a pet peeve of mine. Many rocket vendors (kits, motors, and electronics) would benefit from a little more effort and proofreading in their documentation. Maybe even hire a technical writer for a few hours to do the job.

dhkaiser: This forum is usually the best advice out there for kit building, like Crazy Jim's posts and CzTeacherMan's info above. Search the many build threads to find good examples similar to yours.

Edit: I forgot to mention JohnCoker's very educational website. Awesome.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh, But a fin slot that's a tad undersized I can make perfect with a few swipes of sandpaper and centering rings a tad small on the motor tube side or large on the BT side don't jerk me as I don't mind
'cause I can easily make them "perfect". Plus it's pretty derned hard to make every piece "perfect" in bulk production. Granted really sloppy undersized, oversized or smashed parts are not acceptable but requiring a modicum
of effort out of the customer for a final fit is not out of bounds in my book. Kurt

I think I am ready to epoxy the fins on to the BT. I have sanded the interior of the BT and the motor mount along with the fins. I did sand the fins higher up than in the photo so the fillet will have sanded area to adhere to. Any suggestions on aligning the fins while the epoxy dries?

6C0A6710.jpg6C0A6713.jpg

Hmmm....Something strange in your print settings, I'm guessing. Make sure it's not set to "fit" the page. You want it to print it actual size. I've never had a problem from mini motor tubes on up to my 4 inch HP rockets.

This fin guide tool is amazing, and worth a little investigation in your settings to get it to work right. I know it's frustrating, but I can't express just how valuable it is for any size and scale of rocket.

Hmmm....Something strange in your print settings, I'm guessing. Make sure it's not set to "fit" the page. You want it to print it actual size. I've never had a problem from mini motor tubes on up to my 4 inch HP rockets.

This fin guide tool is amazing, and worth a little investigation in your settings to get it to work right. I know it's frustrating, but I can't express just how valuable it is for any size and scale of rocket.

That was it, printer setting to shrink oversize prints. Thanks again!

That was it, printer setting to shrink oversize prints. Thanks again!

Good deal, man. Glad you got it figured out. Good tools make a job, especially a new or complicated or intricate job so much easier. NEVER pass up the opportunity for another tool! :)

David a cheap TFR chute?????????? Are you talking price or made cheap??

I wouldn't fly them if I considered them cheaply made ;)

I don't think that anyone has ever accused TFR chutes of being cheaply made, but we all do agree that the price point is amazing!

^ what this guy said :)

My L2 cert rocket rolls on top flight-
9120834869_49cf3d8b94.jpg
10028732995_918ce1dcbd.jpg
14064619443_d9fe3f9077.jpg

To the OP: here's an example of payload bay guides in action-
7618580848_a4eafcd89b.jpg

David I mounted my fins today, did not think to use two fin guides. Great idea, I will use it when I do the Scorpion.

6C0A6715.jpg

I think I may have used too much 2 part foam. :) The Drago is done until I decide to paint or go naked. While I wait for parts for a launch rail I will start on the Scorpion, shown here press fit together...

20160525_182951_resized.jpg6C0A6722.jpg

I think I may have used too much 2 part foam. :) The Drago is done until I decide to paint or go naked. While I wait for parts for a launch rail I will start on the Scorpion, shown here press fit together...

View attachment 292158View attachment 292159

Looking good!

PML recommends pouring two part foam in batches, and I can tell you from experience that it's a good recommendation. It is neat stuff to watch expanding though!

It also helps to spend a couple of minuets to tape off the entire rear fin area and inside the MMT in prepping for the pour, just in case it spews over like that. It makes for a much easier clean up.

Looking good!

PML recommends pouring two part foam in batches, and I can tell you from experience that it's a good recommendation. It is neat stuff to watch expanding though!

It also helps to spend a couple of minuets to tape off the entire rear fin area and inside the MMT in prepping for the pour, just in case it spews over like that. It makes for a much easier clean up.

Thanks. I did tape over the motor mount so nothing got inside. Next time I will tape over the outside of the BT. Had some sanding to do on this one.

Successful maiden launch of the Wildman Drago today, flew on a G40-7 to almost 1500ft.

_49A1913_DxO.jpg
_49A1944_DxO.jpg

Attachments

• _49A1933_DxO.jpg
    _49A1933_DxO.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Congrats on a successful flight! And tell that boy he has great taste in music and attire...

Latest posts

Back