NAR Memberships

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dford

Tada
Reaction score
Wondering if most new members wait to become members until they are ready for an L1 flight attempt considering membership expires after a year.
Wouldn't it be smarter to wait?
What other benefits becomes of a membership number?
What are the differences between NAR Tripoli etc.. and benefits to each??

Both organizations help ensure that the hobby remains legal and available. Both sponsor local clubs that provide launch space, insurance, and opportunities to meet other rocket enthusiasts. Both have HPR certification and motor certification authority. NAR provides a bi-monthly Sport Rocketry magazine; TRA offers an online Rockets Magazine download. Both publications are excellent and informative. TRA members can attend LDRS; NAR members can attend NSL.

As for differences, TRA leans more toward HPR; NAR leans more toward contests and modeling. NAR cert levels never expire (though you must be a member in good standing in order to use your cert and insurance), while TRA's expire upon loss of membership. Both bodies' HPR certs are reciprocal.

For more info, read the web sites of each organization.

Actually TRA's certification level doesn't reset until you've gone a year since expiration of membership.
The minor children of a TRA member are covered by the adult member's TRA insurance, whereas NAR insurance only covers the NAR member. Children who opt not to receive the NAR magazine pay a very reduced amount for their membership.
The best reason to belong is because all the money either organization collects helps to benefit the hobby for all. The organizations participate in NFPA rule making which is what is what provides a mostly uniform set of regulations that we can abide by. Without that, individual AHJs might have taken unilateral steps which would have prohibited model rocketry and high power rocketry.
Also, remember that if it weren't for TRA & NAR, ATF would still have APCP on the explosives list. We sued the ATF, took them to court, and proved that it wasn't an explosive, thereby making it possible to have composite rocket motors without a LEUP.

Membership is the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy and would probably still be a bargain at twice the price. And they're your lobby voice whenever federal/state/local authorities alter/add any rules.

WoW. Insurance is a huge benefit. So it sounds like I won't need to worry about waiting to join. I'll just go for it like I do with models. Learning experiences. I like the idea of supporting the hobby above all benefits.
NAR seems like a good place to start.
Thanks yall.

You may want to consider location as well. Is there a club near you ? Which national organization are they affiliated with ? Of course, may folks here have dual citizenship and I wouldn't discourage it if you have the means.

You may want to consider location as well. Is there a club near you ? Which national organization are they affiliated with ? Of course, may folks here have dual citizenship and I wouldn't discourage it if you have the means.
That's probably the determining factor of most folks.

There are still a few misconceptions about the differences between NAR and TRA, and Steve did a good job pointing out most of the differences in his post.

In reality, however there are only 2 major differences between NAR and TRA:
  • NAR has a model rocket program and sponsors model rocket competitions and TRA does not.
  • TRA allows L2 and higher HP certified members to make their own motor and NAR does not.

These are the current numbers that backs up the difference noted above:
  • NAR is larger with ~6400 members versus TRA with ~4,000.
  • TRA has ~3365 HPR fliers versus NAR with ~3132 HPR fliers which is only 7% less.
  • NAR has ~3287 uncertified members who fly model rockets whereas TRA has only ~680.
  • TRA has more than twice as many L3 members as NAR.
  • NAR has 60% more L1 members than TRA.
  • NAR has four times the Junior level HP participants members than TRA.

There is a mutual acceptance of memberships at each others launches with a few exceptions.

NAR and TRA have reciprocity and accept each others certification levels. The only differences are:

• TRA members can participate in all NAR model rocket and high power launches but can not compete in the model rocket competitions unless they are also NAR members, and TRA TMP members can not participate in NAR Jr. L1 member activities unless they are also NAR members.
  • NAR members can participate in all TRA launches but they can not make and launch their own motors unless they are also TRA members, and NAR Jr. L1 members can not participate in TMP activities unless they are also TRA members.

The similarities far outweigh the differences, so you probably should join which ever group sponsors your local club, and if you fly a lot of high power I would encourage you to join both as ~60% of the HPR folks do.

Bob

As one NAR's 3287 uncertified members, I joined NAR when I moved from my hay fields to my neighbors hay fields, which were larger and with the NAR's insurance, the ranch owner was comfortable with me flying there. Since I fly LP and MP mostly, I have consider getting a L1, but a driving 5 hours to a club launch to get certified never thrilled me. The other reason for joining either NAR or TRA is that the rocketry safety codes have kept the local law enforcement and fire departments off my back.

So, I suggest you join either or both and good luck.

if you take a hiatus from the hobby say a few years and you come back, does that affect your status? If you are L1 or L2 nothing changes or do you have to re-certified yourself with NAR?

if you take a hiatus from the hobby say a few years and you come back, does that affect your status? If you are L1 or L2 nothing changes or do you have to re-certified yourself with NAR?

"NAR HPR certifications, once earned, are valid whenever NAR membership is current, and are reinstated upon request after membership lapses." Quoted from the NAR L1 HPR Certification page.

We sued the ATF, took them to court, and proved that it wasn't an explosive, thereby making it possible to have composite rocket motors without a LEUP.

This stunning victory will forever earn my support of NAR. I thought there was no way in hell that a puny hobby can challenge Big Post-911 Government and actually win. NAR leadership (maybe TRA, too. I don't know. Seems like NAR was at the forefront of the issue) really came through. They held steady through the longest-running case on the docket (I think) and didn't waiver over all those years, including during that goofy "Enzi Bill" distraction. These guys will get my $65 every year and then some, if another such problem arises.

This stunning victory will forever earn my support of NAR. I thought there was no way in hell that a puny hobby can challenge Big Post-911 Government and actually win. NAR leadership (maybe TRA, too. I don't know. Seems like NAR was at the forefront of the issue) really came through. They held steady through the longest-running case on the docket (I think) and didn't waiver over all those years, including during that goofy "Enzi Bill" distraction. These guys will get my $65 every year and then some, if another such problem arises.

NAR and TRA paid equally and worked together on every detail. I donated to both, using payroll deduction at my work. Many others donated much more than I did.

Last edited:
They got my $104 Canadian dollars. And they will again next year.

Joining NAR/TRA/CAR/local club helps the hobby, getting certified helps the hobby as well.

This is the golden age of Rocketry. Glad to be a part of it! NAR currently has it's highest number of members ever and growing.

*There is strength in numbers.*

When I started flying rockets with the Cub Scouts I joined to get the insurance (and the magazine). I don't get to build very often (though I have enough kits to last me many, many years) so the magazine and this forum are often my main connection to the hobby.

Back