808 mount?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
OK, I just got my L1. And while I've had good success with using electrical tape to mount my 808 camera on my rockets, I need to do something better because A: I just pulled off a chunk of paint :( and B: it looks like poop and C: Eventually, I would find the speed/g-force limit of electrical tape and have a Bad Day.

What do you use to mount your cameras? I'm wondering if I could make a little pod of some sort. Maybe 3d print something....

I just got one of these and was thinking the same thing, there has to be a better way to mount this thing. I used masking tape and put one on a Viking, it was not very aerodynamic and spun around like crazy. I put it on an Emerald Streak with a custom fairing cut from cereal box cardboard as a prototype. It flew pretty well, but I took a still picture just before launch by mistake instead of turning on the video, so I got no video, but the fairing helped it fly straight. I was almost thinking of fashioning a special camera payload section that has the camera integrated and could have transitions for different rocket body tube sizes. But I would like the camera to face down during recovery rather than up at the chute. Still thinking about this. Apogee sells a formed fairing.

image.jpg
The cardboard fairing on the Emerald Streak, camera has been removed, it sticks out just a little. The green tube is a payload section, so the camera would be facing up after the chute opens. I am thinking of making a cardstock fairing that looks a bit nicer, just for low power flights.

Last edited:
Andrew at Additive Aerospace sells 3D printed shrouds for the 808 and Möbius. But, here's video proof that masking tape with electrical tape are VERY good at securing a camera, regardless of G forces...
https://youtu.be/I8SwSdsnRlc
And here's a picture of the ballistic re-entry ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1463538335.160034.jpg

Andrew at Additive Aerospace sells 3D printed shrouds for the 808 and Möbius. But, here's video proof that masking tape with electrical tape are VERY good at securing a camera, regardless of G forces...
https://youtu.be/I8SwSdsnRlc
And here's a picture of the ballistic re-entry View attachment 291326

Is that your Madcow kit? Is this after the video you posted? Do tell...

Is that your Madcow kit? Is this after the video you posted? Do tell...

Yes, that's the Madcow BB II. This was the maiden flight on 4-16-16. This happened before the other video you seen on the other thread. Lol. My fault, not enough black powder.

I think I'm going to get one of those cases and then, if I can... I'd like to see if I can do some sort of mount using T-nuts; the idea being I have the camera in the pod, then I just screw it onto whatever rocket I want to use it on that day.

Another low power BT20 or ST7 body tube size mount, a prototype from cardstock as a proof of concept, shown here on a Viking. Kind of made it up as I went along, but could refine this into a printable template and work out some other body tube sizes. Here a tube wrap slips over the rocket. You can add tape around the mount at the top and bottom and to secure the camera at the bottom.

image.jpg
image.jpg

after putting together the franken-shroud prototype, I cut it apart and flattened it to see if I could make this into a printable template, so here is a cleaner version prototype rev 2. Going to try this one out on a ST-7 body tube of my Excalibur 3 stager. If I get the hang of this I will try to make a printable template for the popular size tubes of a Crossfire ISX and an Amazon, from the Estes Tandem X starter set, hopefully some folks might find that useful.

DSC_6683.jpg

DSC_6684.jpg

DSC_6685.jpg

the larger diameters are a little easier to work with. Here are the Tandem X 808 camera shroud prototypes. I like to make these by hand, then take measurements and figure out how to combine the parts into one large flat piece with folds, etc. After building a few Dr Zooch kits (especially the Shuttle) you start to think of how you make just about anything from cardstock.

DSC_6686.jpg

DSC_6687.jpg

DSC_6688.jpg

DSC_6689.jpg

For my Mr Jaguar project, which was focused on velocity and altitude, I put my 808 cam inside the body tube. It turns out that these 808's fit perfectly in 54mm body tubes. The mount is just a piece of scrap deck material with silicone 'molded' to the shape of the cam.
image-mr-jaguar-camera-mount-200-300-124115130805959.jpg

For future projects, I've ordered a few of these off ebay to experiment with (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mounting-B...500734?hash=item258c9711fe:g:D8QAAOxylpNTS17x). I figure these could either be used to mount the cam inside the body tube facing outward (like the Mr Jaguar mount); or with some modification, outside the rocket facing downward like these shrouds.

A while ago I had the idea to mount the 808 cam inside the body tube and attach a mirror outside, so that you'd still get downward-facing video while also avoiding most of the aerodynamic effects caused by a large shroud. But I have yet to follow through on this.

ALAK, I sent you a PM, as I have an extra 3D printed 54mm 808 mount you can have.:)

Star Trooper 24mm Carbon Fiber Fins 2016-05-23 009.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I just got my L1. And while I've had good success with using electrical tape to mount my 808 camera on my rockets, I need to do something better because A: I just pulled off a chunk of paint :( and B: it looks like poop and C: Eventually, I would find the speed/g-force limit of electrical tape and have a Bad Day.

What do you use to mount your cameras? I'm wondering if I could make a little pod of some sort. Maybe 3d print something....
Blue painters tape works really well and does not take off the paint. While there's nothing wrong with a shroud, painters tape is lighter, less expensive and probably more aerodynamic, but it doesn't look as pretty unless you paint the airframe blue.

Bob

Absolutely love these designs! Cardstock = simple with outstanding weight savings versus the alternatives I was working on.

I am mounting an 808 on a 34mm BT. While attempting to replicate your genius last night, I thought, "Maybe GlenP completed his printable template?!"

Any such luck?

Well, this thread seems to have come back from the dead so I guess I'll add that I now have aerodynamic shrouds available for the 808 camera in 2", 3", and 4" sizes. Follow the link in my signature to check them out.

Back