Wildman Drago Stability concerns with a NC bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhkaiser

Reaction score
My Drago is due to arrive tomorrow. I have been playing with the idea of flying it with a BRB900 mounted in the nosecone. I am not much of a do it yourself'er so I put the NC bay together with off the shelf parts.

OpenRocket has the stability between 2 and 3 with the NC bay. By shortening the BT by 3 inches the stability becomes between 1 and 2 depending on the motor used. If I shorten the BT will there still be room for the chute, shock cord and dog barf? Other issues?

I include a OR file with the original 30" BT. Ideas, criticisms or suggestions most welcome.

Attachments

• Wildman Drago BRB900 2016-05-17.ork
    15.5 KB · Views: 14
rockets tend to build heavier with the cg further aft than what the design file says. that said, design for the biggest/heaviest motor you intend to fly. personally I would probably leave the tube length alone. you probably need about 8" (add a couple inches if using dog barf instead of a chute protector)of airframe to pack the recovery gear into.
Rex

Why shorten it? No need unless going for super altitude & then it would need to become a minimum diameter 54.

Have fun & no worries about stability......leave it original length. By the way, I have the first one.LOL

I didn't open your file, but I can tell you it's really a great flyer & stability isn't a issue. I added a coupler in mine to repair a burnt shock cord (from over 100 flights) and it's still doing great!

Rex and Jim, thanks for the replies and knowledge.

I didn't open your file, but I can tell you it's really a great flyer & stability isn't a issue. I added a coupler in mine to repair a burnt shock cord (from over 100 flights) and it's still doing great!

Can't beat that recomendation! Thanks!

Back