WOOSH Launch at Bong State Park May 21st and, 22nd.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
Anyone else going? Or is it just going to be me eating freshly purchased Cheese Curds and, swatting Mosquitos?

Looking forward too returning to my HOME STATE (Yes...I'm originally a Cheese Head and, darn proud of it!) and, flying with my friends from up North eh!

Bringing-

1. An Aerotech Mirage on some thundering G motors...(Can't really start a fire with that.)
2. Some Estes stuff crammed full of Hot Rod D motors...Wooooooo! :D
3. Maybe, just maybe a Madcow Bomarc with a slight tinge of C.T.I *Sparkage*...:hot: "PUT ME ON THE PEA GRAVEL BOYS! THIS ONE MIGHT GET HOT!":lol:

Looking forward to seeing all of you along with a rare occasion to see my Mentee Sabrina and, throw down some Smack...Maybe :rolleyes: get some Drag Race action going on!

I know...i know...i can hear it already- "Mr. Gus you better bring your A Game, because i've been busy building some serious Whup Azz in a cardboard tube!"

Young people now days, so ready to prove themselves...Wait till older age and, treachery hits the Swamp!

Last edited:
I'll be there. Likely Sunday. Trying to get the paint on a new semi-scale Alamo AA-10 in time to fly it. Maybe I'll give the Titan IIIe another try.

Still have a two stager waiting for its full up test, a usb camera to fly the first time, more testing of my Eggtimer Quark chute minder, and on and on.

Saturday I'll be 1 mile due north of the rocketry area. Probably filtering some apple and pear table wines for bottling the next weekend.

Last edited:
Aiming for Sunday. Saturday is a big maybe. Either way, I have an overnight trip to Great America with bus loads of graduating students Saturday into Sunday

I will be there on Sunday
Teresa is graduating on Saturday

So, let me get my priorities straight-

I'm bringing several bags of fine curds...:D
Charles will have some of his fine Cider too...:p
AND, I know personally that Eric never travels far without a good book...;)

:surprised: Sounds like a "Cheese, Poor Man's Wine and, Literary Event!"... Along with a launch or two all in the peace and, serenity of the beautifull Bong State Park!

Kind of like a quasi hippie cosmic event...:lol:

Plus! I get full run of Tim's trailer too! :tongue: That has been known too get scary on the pocketbook...

Oh Eric? (Alas i know him well.) Please continue my good man, thy King's English is sooooo....eloquent whilst reading thy Poe-

That's "Edgar Allen" too the rest of you. :no: R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

To be in a place called BONG surrounded by smokey water and, fire in the sky...Strange things have been known too happen...

Last edited:
I'll be there with the family on Saturday... probably not Sunday. Weather looks good- no idea what I'm going to fly yet.

Tim,

Congrats for Teresa.

I'm assuming that means no trailer on Saturday, rather than no Tim. I was going to pick up some more of the printed rail guides - tired of waiting for 1/4" rods.

Guess I'll just have to bring some glue along on Sunday.

Haven't heard from the Grimracer so far...:rolleyes:

He's back in Vis-Con-Sin now...

No excuses for not showing up! :no: ;)

I'll be there Sunday, may have to bust out some AMW skids for Gus!

Preston

I'll be there Sunday, may have to bust out some AMW skids for Gus!

Preston

Wooooo! :surprised: Pretty colors....:surprised: Pretty SPARKS!....:surprised:
Wooooooooooooo...:eek:

Lol to the mighty Sparky Flame...

(There's a reason why Tim is very low on 29mm CTI Sparkies- as of last weekend!)

Muh-hahahaha! :lol:

Let's DO THIS in style!

I'm slowly learning that NAR people's are very quiet...:caffeine:

First rocket I send up Sunday will be a Sparkie. :point:

That should wake the Tadpoles in the Swamp!

Tick...Tick.....Tick........

Face it, you're just a troublemaker!

Touche'

View attachment 291417

Ohhh....There have been sooooo..... many names since the beginnings of mortal time. Diabolus, Old Scratch, Teufel...Many long forgotten to the ears and, tongues of mankind but, i like "The Gus" for now...

It suits my transparency amongst the living...

Can i just fly a Rocket this weekend? I mean, i really need a day off...It's not been easy being EVIL for thousands of years....Jeeeeezzz! :sigh:

Last edited:
"It's not easy having a good time! Even smiling makes my face ache!"
-- Dr. Frank-N-Furter
:dark:

Happy Birthday, Mike T...
I'll be there Sunday:
Wildman 3" Punisher - CTI I350 SS (38-5) - expecting roughly 3800ft, standard HED
Wildman Interceptor Sport - CTI H123 SK (38-2) - expecting roughly 3500ft, APE sled popping the nose at apogee, JLCR opening chute lower.

Bought two motors last weekend. Flying two motors next weekend. It's like I have a compulsion or something.
Oh, Gus... ... ... Notice the "SK"? It's a wee lil one, but ... sparks...
And I'll have my redhead with me. She's an awesome lady. Fairly pregnant at this point, but still truckin along with me.

I'll be tired, for sure. I have a Graduate overnight at Six Flags the night before. I'll try to get a LONG nap in Saturday afternoon and maybe nap on the bus and the ride to Bong... Monday is going to be hazy, I think...

Wildman Interceptor Sport - CTI H123 SK (38-2) - expecting roughly 3500ft, APE sled popping the nose at apogee, JLCR opening chute lower.
Bought two motors last weekend. Flying two motors next weekend. It's like I have a compulsion or something.
Oh, Gus... ... ... Notice the "SK"? It's a wee lil one, but ... sparks...

Really? Is that what "SK" stands for....:confused: Let me check my Range Box here for my current weekend burn stash...
*rustle* *rustle* Nope not that...*rustle* * rustle* Nope not that.....*rustle* Ah ha! Here it is- a C.T.I. H-123-15 SKidmark in 29mm 4grain style! :eek:

What are you going to do with that Mr. Gus? :eek:
"I'm going to shove it up the tailpipe of a Madcow Bomarc and, let it break some serious wind!"

It came to my realization the other day that it was rude of me to make a launch announcement like the first post without consulting the Board or any of the members of this fine club...So i went to- wooshrocketry.org and, proceeded to cut and, paste the weekends itinerary here so that some of you that may not be familiar with them would know what too expect...;)

WOOSH ROCKETRY TWO DAY ROCKET LAUNCH MAY 21st-22nd. BONG STATE PARK...

Come join the friendly members of WOOSH ROCKETRY as we celebrate our two day launch during the month of May! Directions to our field can be found on our header page under our launch sites. Look for- "Da BONG!"

Our schedule is as follows...

Saturday

9am- Start range setup.
10am- Ask for volunteers to HELP with range setup.
11am- Start flying.
12am to ?pm- Keep flying.
8pm- Wet T-Shirt Contest sponsored by Wildman Hobbies! (must be 18years or older to participate) Grand prize winner receives a $100 gift certificate to Wildmans! So put on a REALLY tight T-Shirt and, take the plunge into the Swamp for your chance to win...(Woosh Rocketry NOT responsible for Leeches, Malaria or generally looking like/smelling like/ feeling like hell after said plunge...)
9pm- FREE Concert with the Da Yoopers! Sponsored by Miller Genuine Draft at the Beer Garden tent.
9:30pm- End of Concert, Fireworks over the Swamp begins! (Remember everyone, Alcohol and, fireworks don't mix...:no: SO CHUG'M before you light them!)
10pm- Secure range.

Sunday

9am- All you can eat Pancake Breakfast, only $5 per person...Sponsored once again by Wildman Hobbies! (No gift certificate.)
10am-11am- After Pancake feast, morning nap.
11am- Start flying.
7pm- Secure event.
8pm- Ask for ANY volunteers to help out so we can get out of here!

Waiver both days has been adjusted to 24,999' and, were happy to announce that the speed limit within Bong State Park has been raised to 60mph on pavement and, "Safe but, prudent" on gravel....Aka-Let it rip! :D

Vehicle passes available at the Park entrance for one/two day(s) or all season....OR....Someone distract the Ranger and, a bunch of you slid around the LEFT SIDE of the Shack REAL FAST LIKE!

Hope to see you there! :eek:

I would like to point out that i am skipping my own launch with Indiana Rocketry this weekend just to make the trip to see all of you. I really appreciate the hard work of our members and, will owe them BIG TIME at our next launch.

But, this is the ONLY time between now and, Midwest Power in November that i will get a chance to see/talk/spread the knowledge....and, Evil with Sabrina and, that's worth more than most of you can ever know.

See you all there Sunday- Look for the guy eating a huge bowl of Fruit Loops while sitting on the tailgate of a large black Dodge Ram... Can't start my morning without my Fruit Loops! :p

Last edited:
Somehow I get visions of Gus visiting a Woosh Rocketry Club meeting and it goes very much like this...

[YOUTUBE]uxtdWqfpxqI[/YOUTUBE]

Gus
Sat. was a good day also. Winds look better today. Don't fly to high winds out of the North, Stay out of the trees to the South. Its a jungle out there.

Gus
Sat. was a good day also. Winds look better today. Don't fly to high winds out of the North, Stay out of the trees to the South. Its a jungle out there.

;)

Just waiting on some friends right now. Lot is starting to get busier...Ate TWO BOWLS :D *burp*!

EVERYTHING makes me burp...

Got lots of SUN on Sunday... Mom had a real nice flight of her 2.6 DarkStar on a H115 SU Metalstorm/DarkMatter motor.

I won 4 of 5 drag races :neener: (without cheating at all - as far as you know) :surprised:

Thanks for the awesome shirts!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

I'll have my AT Mirage ready to drag next time we meet. :dark:

IMG_20160522_111750.jpg

2016-05-22 11.52.57.jpg

2016-05-22 11.55.23.jpg

2016-05-22 13.22.26.jpg

Wish I could have made it up there. I haven't had Fruit Loops in a long time...
I heard Glen has joined me in having clothes with a permanent "Bong" smell :puke:

Adrian

I won 4 of 5 drag races :neener: (without cheating at all - as far as you know) :surprised:

I'll have my AT Mirage ready to drag next time we meet. :dark:

Thanks for handing my a$$ets to me...
No, i mean it...Beat me with my own stick. :sigh:

I had a great day at Bong today flying with WOOSH and, several of my friends i see way too little of-

Special thanks go out to...

WOOSH for putting on a great event and, treating this former "Son of the great State of Vis-Kon-Sin" so well! ( I grew up about 35 miles west of Bong ).
Sather Ranum and, Eric C. for all their help in giving me some higher power in lighting a small *burp* of Mohave Green...
Evan and, Joshua for allowing me to justify my side job and, help them with there Tripoli L-2 Certifications...Evan had a GREAT flight to step up and, Josh had some minor issues.

Josh, if your out there...Double check your connections on your RRC3 and, lets do it again sometime! Beautiful Rocket and, a great attitude, even when having a bad string of luck at the pad!

Jackie Lehr of Wildman Hobbies for enduring a dusty and, warm day to bring me and, everyone else our much needed supplies. ;) Missed you Tim!

Great too meet so many new faces today along with running into Bill B. from up der in der UP! Judy Lubin, Manny, Scotty G., Rex and, everyone else that my sun burnt brain is failing to mention...

Most of all, thanks to the Sager Family for coming out so that i could teach/learn from Sabrina! :wave:

Considering the fact, that in today's world...filled with SO many distractions (both good and, bad) for the younger folks out there- If you can take them away from the bad and, show them something positive.
Then maybe you did something right...
And, the sunburn and, a$$ whupping don't hurt at all.

She's NOT a little girl, she's a MONSTER! Kinda of like Manny when he was younger...:lol: My how you've grown young lady...

I'm glad I didn't put an E in this Sprint XL. Asa would have had an even longer walk.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464004048.069614.jpg

Alex with his Argent-based sport scale Vympel R-27
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464004129.293021.jpg

And me? I flew motors almost as old as I am. Two flight on Centuri BP 13mm B4-5s. An Estes Blender and my Photon Disruptor downscale. Those blenders love big motors.

No pics. I can do video when I'm back on wifi.

Now, off to file my observations with the NAR expired motor program.

Last edited:
Ok... Here's what I've got...
My first flight of the day was a Wildman 3" Punisher on a CTI I350 Smoky Sam (38-5grain). This was the first flight with a re-built av-bay, and I'm SO glad I rebuilt it. Turning on my switched was a SNAP. I got around 3300ft (I'll have to download RRC3 data later). Landed about 10 feet north of the away pad. Could not have asked for a better flight.
2016 05-22 Wildman Punisher I350SS (4).jpg
My second and final flight of the day was a Wildman Interceptor Sport on a CTI H123 Skidmark (38-2grain). Didn't realize until after I got home that this rocket's first flight was on the same motor. This one didn't go exactly as planned. It hooked downwind on takeoff and then drifted downwind. Took a LONG walk South to find it. Trudged through some interesting farmland to get it back, but (Yay trackers) I did eventually get it. Got to meet and hang out with Brad Marsh and help him autoposy his Punisher flight while out there.
2016 05-22 Interceptor Sport H123Sk (6).jpg
Also... Picked up a LOST rocket in the same field It was a cardboard white rocket with black fins, checkerboard pattern in the middle. Bright green chute. If you lost that rocket on Saturday or Sunday, Woosh has it. And you owe me about 30 extra minutes of walking through farm just because I saw a chute. :wink:

Next up, I got a bunch of pics of other people's rockets. If you know whose it is, let me know. If you want originals, PM me with your e-mail.
First, Bill Bertoldi's team put up a red rocket just before my Interceptor.
2016 05-22 Bertoldi Red Rocket (8).jpg
Next, Bill's team also put up a Darkstar. Very nice flight on a Blue Streak motor
2016 05-22 Bertoldi Darkstar (8).jpg
Here's a pic of Brad Marsh's 3" Punisher going up on a CTI I540 WT
2016 05-22 Brad Marsh Punisher I540WT (3).jpg
Evan McConnell's L2 cert flight on a fiesty green something...
2016 05-22 Evan McConnell L2 Cert Flight (23).jpg
Someone got an L1 cert on a very nice White/Red rocket...
2016 05-22 L1 Cert Flight (7).jpg
The NWU team had two unfortunate CATOs... I only got pics of one, but the pics are pretty amazing.
2016 05-22 NWU Sparky CATO (14).jpg2016 05-22 NWU Sparky CATO (18).jpg
Russ W had a beautiful up with his Wildman Competitor 3" on a CTI K815 Skidmark
2016 05-22 Russ Westergard Competitor 3 K815Sk (11).jpg
to be continued...

Sabrina and Gus had a couple drag races... Here's one where she beat him off the pad by a nose.
2016 05-22 Sabrina-Gus Crayon Race (5).jpg

And a couple unknown to me flights...
2016 05-22 Unknown Black Rocket (10).jpg
2016 05-22 Unknown White Rocket (11).jpg

Thanks for sharing those pictures Eric! :D

I almost forgot, i NEED to thank Mr. Bob Jablonski of County Line Hobbies for the most unselfish gift...He handed me a pretty impressive "Little Motor" :rolleyes: FREE for my upcoming Birthday-

I just had to go by his house and, pick it up on the way to Bong. Thank you again my friend for the *humble* surprise! :eek:

Back