Level 3 Build "The Grand Optimist" Ultimate Wildman

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
I really hadn't planned on doing my L3 certification this year but I came across a smokin deal on a 6" Ultimate Wildman kit from a local guy I met at a launch, plus I have been meaning to this for about 20 years :).

This will be a Tripoli certification build/flight, both of my TAPS have signed off on my certification package and rocket design so the building has begun.

This kit is a few years old and comes with 1/2" plywood centering rings and G10 bulk plates unlike the newer version with aluminum bulk plates and G10 centering rings. It came with the 60" booster and 48" payload. 18" AV Bay coupler and 6" switch band.

The items I will need down the road are the main parachute (12' Rocketman), harnesses (7/16" tubular kevlar from onebadhawk), and of course...the motor (AT M1350W). I have almost everything else I need, the Y-harness arrived today from Teddy so I've been working on the motor mount.

Most of the pics will be the same ones I am sending to my TAPS via email so they will be annotated for clarity.

Here are the obligatory kit pics and first dry fit. Motor mount pics to follow.

Kit.jpg

Kit2.jpg

20160515_122855.jpg

Nice detail - even down to the shirt! Will be watching with much interest!

I ended up finishing the motor mount tonight, the Y-Harness attached to the (2) 1/4" u-bolts was the last step. That 5/16" swivel that onebadhawk sells is a serious piece of hardware, it's huge! I know some will say that the thrust ring is a bit overkill but it is already drilled and tapped for the Aeropack flanged retainer which makes install a breeze. It also bolts to the rear CR which is attached to the 2 fore CRs via 5/16" all-thread making this one strong setup, and that red anodizing just looks cool.

20160516_141544.jpg

20160516_155917.jpg

20160509_190531.jpg

20160516_141555.jpg

20160516_141559.jpg

20160516_155703.jpg

20160516_155716.jpg

20160516_163113.jpg

20160516_163458.jpg

20160516_163340.jpg

Last edited:
Watching. I have an older version of this kit and can't wait to see how you build it.

Very nice Jeff. I hope you are planning a Airfest level 3 ...maybe? Whenever or where ever, good luck!

Very nice Jeff. I hope you are planning a Airfest level 3 ...maybe? Whenever or where ever, good luck!

Actually Bill, the plan is to do my cert flight at Airfest in September if at all possible. My TAPS suggested that they might go this year and I think that would be the perfect place to fly this. Plan B will be to fly down is Asa Texas on the HOTROCs field in October.

Thanks guys, they don't show 5.5/98 but I see they do custom so looks to save a lot of time and I like were it transfers the load

Thanks guys, they don't show 5.5/98 but I see they do custom so looks to save a lot of time and I like were it transfers the load

The 5.5"-98mm size is not on the drop down menu but they do show it on the main listing. Give them a call, they may have that in stock since it is a pretty popular LOC tube size. Otherwise I'm sure you could order one from them.

7162061_orig.jpg

Last edited:
I also did some work on the Nosecone AV bay the other night. I thought about making one myself but I decided to go with the Attebery Performance Engineering head-end nosecone bay, I have one in my Thumper Jr. and really like it. Chris does great work and this thing is well designed, well made and robust. Assembly and installation is pretty straight forward.

20160508_113823.jpg

20160507_174323.jpg

20160508_113759.jpg

20160507_174338.jpg

20160507_174259.jpg

20160510_094342.jpg

Actually Bill, the plan is to do my cert flight at Airfest in September if at all possible. My TAPS suggested that they might go this year and I think that would be the perfect place to fly this. Plan B will be to fly down is Asa Texas on the HOTROCs field in October.

Hey you can come to pawhuska, ok in september for High Frontier 13 to do Level 3!!!!!!!!! I remember you came last year.

If you need a tap for Airfest, you don't need one anymore I will be there and happy to sign off for you.

Hey you can come to pawhuska, ok in september for High Frontier 13 to do Level 3!!!!!!!!! I remember you came last year.

I'll definitely be at High Frontier 13 Andrew, hopefully as a L3 flyer by then. That was one of the best run and most organized launches I have ever been to and I love that field. My son and I had a blast that weekend and he already asked if we were going again this year. I will see you there!

I ended up finishing the motor mount tonight, the Y-Harness attached to the (2) 1/4" u-bolts was the last step. That 5/16" swivel that onebadhawk sells is a serious piece of hardware, it's huge! I know some will say that the thrust ring is a bit overkill but it is already drilled and tapped for the Aeropack flanged retainer which makes install a breeze. It also bolts to the rear CR which is attached to the 2 fore CRs via 5/16" all-thread making this one strong setup, and that red anodizing just looks cool.

I also did some work on the Nosecone AV bay the other night. I thought about making one myself but I decided to go with the Attebery Performance Engineering head-end nosecone bay, I have one in my Thumper Jr. and really like it. Chris does great work and this thing is well designed, well made and robust. Assembly and installation is pretty straight forward.

Wow Jeff, you do some nice work and I like your decisions. I look forward to watching this thread progress and wish you well on your L3 attempt.

Scott at SC precision will do custom work, he just made a custom 8" x 98mm thrust plate and he was great to deal with. I had to go custom because it is for a build that has MMT for the CTI pro 150, so the holes had to be at specific locations. Having the 3 larger holes inner and out spaced 60 degrees apart was just a preference.

I went ahead and finished the AV-bay but I am not going to start drilling out the sled until I decide exactly how I want it laid out and which switches I am going to use, more on that later.
What a pleasure this is going to be to work on, 18"L x 6"D, as Donald Trump would say "it's HUGE!!!" Quite a jump from trying to squeeze a DD setup into a 38mm av-bay :bang:

I decided on a 12" x 5" sled using a sheet of black G10 which will give me more than enough room for electronics,batteries, etc. The 5" width will put the switches right up against the air frame for easy access through the vent holes. I attached the sled to 1/2" aluminum angle iron with (3) 8-32 screws/nuts and drilled 5/16" holes for the all-thread. I am using (4) 1/4-20 18"L all-thread rods.

Eye bolts are welded 5/16" polished stainless steel (onebadhawk) and the charge canisters are 1" copper caps from Lowes (painted black), drilled and mounted with 6-32 screw/nut through the bulkhead. I really like the machined aluminum charge canisters from MAC but I just can't justify spending $40 on those, these 4 caps were less than $5 and they work great.

20160506_144201.jpg

20160506_173837.jpg

20160506_205021.jpg

20160506_215024.jpg

20160506_173915.jpg

20160506_215033.jpg

20160507_184250.jpg

20160516_163919.jpg

Love the button head and countersunk bolts on the Retainer/thrust plate. Very nice work all the way around!

Awesome, I always liked the older Ultimates a little better. Just did my L3 with a new one and it went perfectly, I'm sure yours will too.

I also used the AT M1350W and the motor performed beautifully. The epoxy expands a little so I wrapped some wide blue tape around the top of the case to prevent a spill over. Remember the motor needs 24 hours to cure before flying, so if you're picking it up from someone else you'll need to get it at least a day before the launch day.

Awesome, I always liked the older Ultimates a little better. Just did my L3 with a new one and it went perfectly, I'm sure yours will too.

I also used the AT M1350W and the motor performed beautifully. The epoxy expands a little so I wrapped some wide blue tape around the top of the case to prevent a spill over. Remember the motor needs 24 hours to cure before flying, so if you're picking it up from someone else you'll need to get it at least a day before the launch day.

Thanks for the info James. I will have the motor well in advance of the flight so I should be good to go with the assembly. Congrats on the flight!

Back