Drogue and Chute Release?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? As I'm thinking about building bigger/more powerful rockets (HOORAY LEVEL1), it struck me that it would be COOL to learn how to do dual deployment, but I'm not sure I want to store black powder at my house right now, and besides, DD is a LOT smaller flying-to-prepping ratio. That said, I could see how on a bigger rocket, the "pseudo drogue" effect of the un-deployed Chute Release becomes pretty minimal; even with the chute-lump out and the nosecone flapping around, I could see a fiberglass rocket getting pretty speedy. So what about a system where you have a smaller drogue chute that pulls out the Chute Release and the big chute, then the Chute Release pops the big one at a lower altitude.... any reason that wouldn't work?

Yes! It definitely works, and can even increase descent rate on some larger rockets (by having the booster drop vertical). I have been flying a 4" Crayon (~40 oz dry) with a drogue on the nose and the main + CR halfway down the recovery harness, works great and drops about the same speed as without the drogue, but descent is much more consistent and stable (it drops vertical instead of tumbling). No interference here, just mind the shock cord lengths and chute shroud line lengths.
P1020716.jpg

Yes! It definitely works, and can even increase descent rate on some larger rockets (by having the booster drop vertical). I have been flying a 4" Crayon (~40 oz dry) with a drogue on the nose and the main + CR halfway down the recovery harness, works great and drops about the same speed as without the drogue, but descent is much more consistent and stable (it drops vertical instead of tumbling). No interference here, just mind the shock cord lengths and chute shroud line lengths.

Awesome, that EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. I like DD, but I think the CR means that I can get away with a lot of power before I need to start messing around with av-bay electronics.

Awesome, that EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. I like DD, but I think the CR means that I can get away with a lot of power before I need to start messing around with av-bay electronics.

Seems like a good plan. The CR is awesome for exactly that application. That said, using electronics is awesome when the rocket deploys right as it hits apogee :dark:

Another cool trick is to use the Chute Release on the drogue. I have done this so that it separates at apogee then descends drogueless until it releases the drogue at 1000 ft, and then the main is deployed at 500 ft.

Huh. And I just looked at NAR's website. According to it, as far as I can tell, you don't even need DD for Level 2. Not that I'm getting level 2, but if I ever did, I could - theoretically - pass the test and launch something on a J motor with a Chute Release. :D

Huh. And I just looked at NAR's website. According to it, as far as I can tell, you don't even need DD for Level 2. Not that I'm getting level 2, but if I ever did, I could - theoretically - pass the test and launch something on a J motor with a Chute Release. :D

Yup, and many (myself included) would suggest that KISS-principle is wise to exercise with ANY cert flight! I don't have a Chute Release, and need to get used to the fact that CR does not always mean Centering Ring...but my brain keeps auto-expanding it anyway.

That is correct. You do not need to use electronics on a L2 cert flight.

Has anyone tried this? As I'm thinking about building bigger/more powerful rockets (HOORAY LEVEL1), it struck me that it would be COOL to learn how to do dual deployment, but I'm not sure I want to store black powder at my house right now, and besides, DD is a LOT smaller flying-to-prepping ratio.

Like everyone else my advice is to enjoy your L1 and have fun flying whatever configurations you (and the RSO :)) feel comfortable with. Having said that, whilst DD does look like a lot of hassle, and I take your point about 'flying to prepping ratio' I've found there's a pleasure to be had in the ground testing, prepping and wiring of DD, so when you're ready, I'd recommend giving it a try.

In terms of avoiding the hassles of home black powder storage, I'd suggest you check with your club vendor whether you can buy small amounts of BP for use in the field as you need it, rather so you don't have to store at home. I realise it will be different in the US (if that's where you're based) but here in the UK, acquiring, use and disposal of BP in the field is covered by what we call an 'Acquire Only' explosives license, rather than an 'Acquire and Keep' which requires the correct mandatory storage box and registering your home as a store. YMMV.

You do not need to use dual deployment for any certification level, however you must use electronic deployment for L motors and above (NFPA 1127 and the NAR and TRA high power safety codes), and thus for a Level 3 certification flight, but all that is required is a single event electronic deployment.

Bob

Back