WHAT THE HECK!!! Windows 10???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I always get the annoying pop up asking me if I want Windows 10, which I don't.
Tonight, I get all heavy into assembling the sustainer for my SA-5, so I'm feeling pretty epic, and I go to post here and see Windows 10 has just installed itself, even though I always say No when it asks. My Cats did'nt jump on the keyboard, as I place that where they can't touch it when I'm away from the computer.
Luckily, it had a license agreement, so I was able to "Decline" the terms and it restored my Windows 7.

Anyone else been upgraded without giving permission or asking for it?

I wanted to hurl the computer out the front door and blast it, but I am not that impulsive. It would have felt great, but then I'de have no computer.:mad::(:(:(

What gives? Why did this happen?

If I had not been able to reverse it, I would be on the phone tomorrow to every consumer protection agency I could think of, my Lawyer, and anyone else like the local News, and Microsoft would owe me the cost of my computer at the very least, which is not much, but I would demand they also get me a MAC, as I here those don't have this problem, but I don't even know what a MAC really is.:confused2:

I pretty riled up, but I have a rocket to work on, and I'm making hundreds of extremely tiny holes for epoxy rivets, so I have to go get back to that.

I always get the annoying pop up asking me if I want Windows 10, which I don't.
Tonight, I get all heavy into assembling the sustainer for my SA-5, so I'm feeling pretty epic, and I go to post here and see Windows 10 has just installed itself, even though I always say No when it asks. My Cats did'nt jump on the keyboard, as I place that where they can't touch it when I'm away from the computer.
Luckily, it had a license agreement, so I was able to "Decline" the terms and it restored my Windows 7.

Anyone else been upgraded without giving permission or asking for it?

I wanted to hurl the computer out the front door and blast it, but I am not that impulsive. It would have felt great, but then I'de have no computer.:mad::(:(:(

What gives? Why did this happen?

If I had not been able to reverse it, I would be on the phone tomorrow to every consumer protection agency I could think of, my Lawyer, and anyone else like the local News, and Microsoft would owe me the cost of my computer at the very least, which is not much, but I would demand they also get me a MAC, as I here those don't have this problem, but I don't even know what a MAC really is.:confused2:

I pretty riled up, but I have a rocket to work on, and I'm making hundreds of extremely tiny holes for epoxy rivets, so I have to go get back to that.

Go into your control panel and in the programs area go into the updates section and look for KB3035583 and remove it. Change your updates to manual and when you apply future updates one at a time and make sure you know what each one does. MS slide this one in and they will likely do it again so watch out.

TopRamen

I had the same thing almost happen to me . Luckily there was a small pop up that told me windows 10 was scheduled to be installed 2 days later on a Monday.. Which I canceled !
MS does not tell you it is a free upload for 1 year after the 1 year trial is over you half to pay in order to keep it !!
MS need to learn that no means NO I dont want Windows 10 PERIOD !!

I am hoping the pop up will end soon :facepalm:

I just did it
I already had the manual update set but KB3035583 was there and is no more !
Thanks for posting that helpful information !!

Bobby

TopRamen

I had the same thing almost happen to me . Luckily there was a small pop up that told me windows 10 was scheduled to be installed 2 days later on a Monday.. Which I canceled !
MS does not tell you it is a free upload for 1 year after the 1 year trial is over you half to pay in order to keep it !!
MS need to learn that no means NO I dont want Windows 10 PERIOD !!

I am hoping the pop up will end soon :facepalm:

Windows 10 is free once you have it installed, so you will never have to pay if you get it before July when the promotion ends. If you wait until July, they will stop asking you to upgrade.

Would love to have a class action lawsuit to stop MrSofty from installing this junk on MY computer.
Should be illegal what they are doing IMHO.

Time to teach these bastards that PC's are PERSONAL computers and to keep their hands OFF!!!

Does Windows 10 break some of your altimeter interface software? I've used the R-DAS and Missile Works software on Windows 10 without problems (I can run the G-Wiz and AltOS software on Mac OS).

I've been saying no to the Windows 10 upgrade on the computer that controls my ShopBot (CNC router), but based on forum posts Windows 10 seems to work fine so I'll probably let it upgrade.

From what I've seen there's little difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 (I skipped the Windows 8 generation since I don't use it on a tablet). I grumbled when I had to go from Windows XP to Windows 7, but ultimately they maintained sufficient backwards compatibility to support the things I need a PC for (legacy hardware interface programs) so I'm guessing the same will be true of Windows 10.

Software installed on your computer without your consent is Malware...plan and simple.
This should not be legal....regardless if it actually breaks something or not.

There's a small program available from Steve Gibson's GRC.com website called Never10 that will prevent Windows from harassing you about installing windows, it will prevent it from downloading the installer and hogging up your hard drive, and if you can change your mind later, you can very easily rollback the block and let Windows 10 do it's thing.

I'm pretty sure you can rollback the Win10 installation. From what the gamer geeks tell me, Win10 runs a lot of FPS games at excellent frame rates. My security geek friends tell me that Win10 by default has all the NSA backdoors and such enabled, i.e. Win10 Phone Home. A cautious person can install Win10 without the NSA being involved but it's an annoying and time-consuming process.

Sorry you got snake bitten.

One thing that will help is a program called "GWX Control Panel". GWX is a program running on your win 7/8/8.1 machine that stands for Get Windows 10". You can find it here:
https://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

It will allow you to control how GWX behaves, allow you to disable it, allow you to erase downloaded files, and other features. It's what I'm running.

I tried it out and it took me minutes to decide it sucked. I managed to strip it out but I still get the update message. So dopes removing that "KB" file remove the little Window on the taskbar? Plus Fry's is still selling Win 7 Pro for $109 on sale....more than I paid in the first place 2 YEARS ago....
s

I installed W10. Now, every few seconds, I get a beep and ALL of my windows minimize. I'm far from computer illiterate, but so far no luck.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Do a search for GWX Control Panel. Download and install it. Easiest way I have seen to block the pop ups, upgrade, and to delete the downloaded installation files.

One thing that will help is a program called "GWX Control Panel". GWX is a program running on your win 7/8/8.1 machine that stands for Get Windows 10". You can find it here:

It will allow you to control how GWX behaves, allow you to disable it, allow you to erase downloaded files, and other features. It's what I'm running.

+10 on this. I've been running GWX Control Panel since last fall.

A few things to note:
-Even if you uninstall and hide that KB referenced above, it will eventually come back
-MS has upped the priority of these Win 10 updates from optional to recommended, or some such
-Even if you aren't planning to do the upgrade, Win by default will download the installers for Win10 to your computer, soaking up 3-5GB space

The GWX control panel and similar utilities keep this under control. My main computers will never have win 10 because 10 removes Windows Media Center, which is a core program I use on my HTPC and my desktop. There's not adequate replacement software so I'm locked into this platform for now. I like Win7 and for these main computers have no plans to change, ever, within my planning horizon.

On the other hand, I have nothing specific against Win 10 beyond MS' data grabbiness and default peer to peer update scheme... I've got a tablet with it on there, and it works fine.

Marc

That looks great, but is there maybe a Youtube tutorial so I can see if a computer illiterate like myself can even make use of it?
I went to the link and I realized that it might as well be in Greek.

Ironic. I software tool to protect yourself from OS malware. What has this world come to?

Keep it clean, do a manual uninstall of the patch and leave the 3rd party tools out. That "go-to" is a sure fire way to slow down your system and end up with more malware.

Keep it clean, do a manual uninstall of the patch and leave the 3rd party tools out. That "go-to" is a sure fire way to slow down your system and end up with more malware.

The problem is, who can keep track of what pieces Microsoft is littering on to your computer. Almost need a third party to track it, don't you? (unless of course you have tons of time on your hands...)

Well, if I suddenly go "Dark", don't worry, I have not decided to leave the forum, I have simply screwed up my computer beyond repair.:(

I guess I'll have to devote some of my Youtube research time to learning computer stuff today.:mad::mad:

I have seen malware tactics being employed by normally trusted big companies. My new Win 10 machine was bricked by a malware-style forced bios update.

And I know this doesn't exactly solve the problem, but thats why I use my Linux box whenever possible. The Win 10 box is only for games and movies, thats it.

Gone are the days when you could trust software companies by default.

The problem is, who can keep track of what pieces Microsoft is littering on to your computer. Almost need a third party to track it, don't you? (unless of course you have tons of time on your hands...)

That is a good point, and I agree MS is up to no good. However a lot of these 3rd party applications come bundled with other 3rd party tools and what ends up happening is just a lot of junk running utilizing your resources. So the manual controlled way is ultimately better.

Even a lot of the 3rd party tools that are low footprint set themselves up as a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) or service, as default. At this point when it comes to MS W10 they have some serious privacy of information issues with the telemetry they gather and send back to their servers, mainly due to Cortana.

This is personally not something I am comfortable with, which is the main reason why I avoid it, that and the patch policy they have taken. Cortana can be turned off, however MS has clearly stated that they have the right to run it back on during future patches, so it will just end up back on. My company is developing a tool to monitor for this and automatically turn it back off.

I upgraded to Windows 10 almost right away. I like it. As usual, I had to tweak all the features to eliminate fluff computing. Once I did that, it works better than the Windows 7i used to use.

I have Windows 10 and it plays havock with 2 of my computers. (The third one broke but I still think it committed suicide because it couldn't bear to have Micro$h!T on there). As soon as I get my new computer I'm putting a W7 Pro license on it and dual booting Linux. Do everything in Linux unless you NEED windows.

I don't understand why people give windows 10 so much flack. When I heard that Microsoft is giving away new software for free I jumped on it. My computer was already on its last leg and I know windows 10 kept it going just long enough to get another computer. Now I have a surface with windows 10 pro and I couldn't be happier with it. What was that people always say? Oh yeah, don't judge a book by its cover. Go to a best buy and try windows 10 before you insist it's the worst thing to ever be considered an OS.

P.S. I'm NOT defending Microsoft for forcing people to install it. That should be the consumers choice.

Last edited:
For now I changed my setting to check for updates, but let me choose whether or not to download and install them.
Now I'll just have to learn how to determine what is a legitimate update, and what is something I don't want.:confused:

I don't get along with computers, but for me, this system with Windows 7 does everything I need, and probably more.
I rarely watch movies on my computer, and the only games I play are the built in Chess and Mahjong Titans.

I like Win10 and I'm glad I got it for free. What are you folks going to do when 8, 8.1 and 7 are deprecated?

BTW, you can always get a Mac, or go Linux.

I like Win10 and I'm glad I got it for free. What are you folks going to do when 8, 8.1 and 7 are deprecated?

BTW, you can always get a Mac, or go Linux.

Extended support for 7 and 8 are as follows, so there's no hurry to jump on the wand wagon.

Windows 7 January 14, 2020
Windows 8 January 10, 2023

Latest posts

Back