WHAT THE HECK!!! Windows 10???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suitably tuned Win 10 isn t so bad but their policies are offensive. As to the free upgrades forced upon users who don't go through hoops to prevent them:
Rule of Acquisition 218: sometimes what you get free costs entirely too much

I like Win10 and I'm glad I got it for free. What are you folks going to do when 8, 8.1 and 7 are deprecated?

BTW, you can always get a Mac, or go Linux.

Linux is my OS of choice. Unfortunately, tons of chess software doesn't run on Linux. I'm stuck with W10. Which, really, when one gets into the settings and Tinkers it down to bare bones OS isn't half bad at all. Its kinda like changing your own oil vs taking it to the shop...

I don't understand installing third-party software when MS provides ways to prevent GWX:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

Wow, get a load of this MSFT B.S. from the link above:

The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10–30 minutes to run. During this time, the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient! If the script is failing in an infinite loop, this means that you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows updates installed.

WHAAAT! Don't you love a software company that provides support software that is so lame! Com'on release something deterministic at least!

Wow, get a load of this MSFT B.S. from the link above:
The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10–30 minutes to run. During this time, the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient! If the script is failing in an infinite loop, this means that you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows updates installed.

:rofl:

So Microsoft, your script is stuck in an infinite loop because I didn't fix your previous bugs?

Hmmm...never got 1 notification asking me to install W10....one of my HDD was goin bad so I had to replace it and figured might as well get W10 while it's still free. Haven't had 1 issue, and it's not so bad. Just my .02 :)

The way updates are being pushed on us now is awful. We have completely forgotten about the notion of qualifying a piece of technology before deploying, and sticking with something that works.

There's another way to look at this. Support for win7/win8(.1) will continue for a while. In theory (yeah, right!) the free period to download and install win10 ends in July. What you *could* do is to back up your entire hard drive (or whatever portion you feel is essential), then allow your computer to install 10. This will register your computer with MS. Then use the tools provided to revert back to the original OS version, or recreate from backup. This registers your computer with MS in case, sometime in the future, you decide to migrate to 10. It allows you to do this at no charge, since you have already installed it. Just a thought.

That looks great, but is there maybe a Youtube tutorial so I can see if a computer illiterate like myself can even make use of it?
I went to the link and I realized that it might as well be in Greek.

It's not a program that's installed and is running all the time (unless you tell it to specifically). When you run it (it's an .exe) it provides a pop-up window with a series of switches. It's pretty self-explanatory. Download it and run it - you can do this without making any changes. After this, if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help you.

the free period to download and install win10 ends in July.

I keep hearing this but I wonder why there is a date, after all it is imposed by the manufacturer so you could say it is a false date.

Based on my knowledge of the product and knowing MS as I do, my guess is that they just want as many people to adopt W10 in as short a period as possible so they can index all of the data, sell it off and take a big chunk out of Google. After all Bing = Cortana which realistically means this date is for MSs bottom line and it would not surprise me if after July MS comes out with something like, "we have decided to extend the W10 deadline to", or "indefinitely".

Why, because the money isn't in the O/S anymore and the more adopters of the O/S the more data indexed, the larger the customer base, which all equals more revenue for MS.

Have to admit I'm about one step above computer illiterate. That said I'm still running programs that just will not run on any MS windows program higher than XP. While my main computer downstairs is set up with Windows 7. I do not want and will not allow MS to download anything to my computers anymore period. I'm running plenty of security software suggested by my ciber tech so i'm no longer concerned about anything MS thinks I need to update. I've been advised by a number of computer guru's to simply turn OFF the MS Update feature. This simple step has eliminated all the crap I was getting daily from Microslut.
When my XP laptop or Windows 7 personal computer die. I'll perhaps get another machine with windows 10 or prehaps I'll do what we did with my current computer F disc the entire OS and reinstall windows 7.
I like many others believe Microsoft has gotten way to big for its britches. I for one will not be forced into doing anything I do NOT want. LINEX is another option but I've only begun looking into it.

... LINEX is another option but I've only begun looking into it.

John,

A way to dip your feet in for Linux is to use your Windows 7 machine to run a free virtual machine client called Virtualbox.

You run Virtual box as an application within windows. It allows you to run "virtualized" installations of an OS... it could be Windows, a Linux installation, or whatever. Free pre-built virtual installations are available for download (see the first bullet at the link I gave for Virtualbox). Or, with just a little experimenting, you can install a fresh copy of whatever Linux distribution (or "distro" for the cool geeks in the room) you like. I recommend strongly Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have a Vbox of version 17.3 of that. It's relatively easy to use, though you will need to learn how to do some things in Linux that Windows takes care of for you.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I've been advised by a number of computer guru's to simply turn OFF the MS Update feature.

That's a great way to be vulnerable to all sorts of malware.

x2 eggplant is bang on.

Not trying to be argumentative Micromeister however I would say that your gurus are not as informed as they/you think they are!

This is what I do for a living, I am not full time whatever and part time IT guru who has thoughts and ideas based on not much experience in IT. I am a MS partner and have been working with the product since the very early days and have literally managed every single O/S desktop and server. I currently manage about a thousand desktops hundreds of servers, firewalls, routers, etc. and I am the CTO of my company so I manage all of our technical resources, technologies and oversee all consulting projects. I can tell you with confidence that I do not know a single professionally trained and experienced IT person that would subscribe to your gurus advice.

Now having said that there is something to the heart of what you are saying and that is not to blindly install MS patches.

There have been many MS patches over the years that were released prematurely and had negative impacts on the systems applied. We use many tools to manage our systems, the main one can be thought of as software robotics. We deploy agents (small applications) on networks, computers, servers, etc., these agents then report back to our NOC (Network Operations Center) and the data is then parsed (sorted) into a db (Data Base). Based on the information we receive we know the heath and status of the systems in real-time and our system will automatically respond accordingly.

It is much more involved that that and is more a suite of tools but one thing it allows us to do is manage patching. We patch but we purposely lag 30 days on all patches with exceptions, such as a and active cyber threat. We also research every single patch and only apply what is applicable, keep in mind MS desktop is like a Swiss army knife in that it can be a lot of things, and not all of them are applicable.

Ummmmmm,
They (MS) also will use your machine and bandwidth and a torrent client to "update" other Winblows machines. You have to turn a switch off to prevent this.

This is a real PITA to do but if one gets Burnsim to run in Linux following these "vast" instructions, many Windows programs will work: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?1007-RocSim-9-under-Linux&p=672177#post672177

I have Rocksim 9 running in Slack and Ubuntu using this method. The other method is to use something like VirtualBox to run a native Windows guest say like XP, 7, 8.1 and load all the Windows software there. Kurt

I have Win10 on my laptop (Lenovo Yoga 700) and it works great. It shipped with it, and I think the hardware and drivers etc are optimized for it (or at least proven compatible). My wife has an HP Spectre 360 that is maybe 6 months older than my laptop. It shipped with Windows 8.1. Windows 10 forced itself onto it despite her declining all of the pop ups. That computer is almost a brick at this point.

De-associates file types with programs at random, Windows button loses all functionality after 5-10 minutes of up time, calculator and other basic windows apps don't run, bad resolution in various context menus and dialogue boxes...the list goes on. I have an open ticket with HP but their first attempt at fixing it was laughable. "Did you try restarting it?" "Let me try to refresh the desktop". Useless CS reps.

I am going to try and roll it back to Windows 8 tonight I think.

Long story short, yes, Windows 10 will install itself. It works great for some, and wreaks havoc on others.

John,

A way to dip your feet in for Linux is to use your Windows 7 machine to run a free virtual machine client called Virtualbox.

You run Virtual box as an application within windows. It allows you to run "virtualized" installations of an OS... it could be Windows, a Linux installation, or whatever. Free pre-built virtual installations are available for download (see the first bullet at the link I gave for Virtualbox). Or, with just a little experimenting, you can install a fresh copy of whatever Linux distribution (or "distro" for the cool geeks in the room) you like. I recommend strongly Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have a Vbox of version 17.3 of that. It's relatively easy to use, though you will need to learn how to do some things in Linux that Windows takes care of for you.

Have fun!

Thanks Marc_G: I'll for sure give Virturalbox a look. I'm not opposed to trying different things.

As for making a mistake cutting out MS updates at the source. MS has just given all of us the finger for far too long. When I get info from several different sources that tell me the same thing concerning a proposed "Upgrade" from MicroSlut and my Tech support network confirms the same, telling me They wouldn't suggest allowing the upgrade, I take it seriously. As mentioned with all the other system protective programs, firewalls and such I just feel as long as I don't do anything stupid my systems will operate just fine until they reach the end of their usable lifetime.. be it months or several more years.
As I mentioned earlier, Since MS is supposedly Not supporting XP anymore anyway. My fix by truning off the Update feature of their program makes perfect sense.
I did the same on my Windows-7 machine just because MS pissed my off. If at some time between now and 2020 I decide something appears to need updating, I'll address it at that time. For now I don't have to worry about anymore of MS dictatorial crap.

I ended up doing a clean install after the 'upgrade' didn't quite work as planned(left me with a mix of win7 & win10)*. since I had planned ahead and had a good backup of my data I didn't lose anything but time.
*the upgrade removed the desktop gadgets as announced...but left the launcher for them, and quite likely other things that were supposed to be removed/replaced.
Rex

Ummmmmm,
They (MS) also will use your machine and bandwidth and a torrent client to "update" other Winblows machines. You have to turn a switch off to prevent this.

This is a real PITA to do but if one gets Burnsim to run in Linux following these "vast" instructions, many Windows programs will work: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?1007-RocSim-9-under-Linux&p=672177#post672177

I have Rocksim 9 running in Slack and Ubuntu using this method. The other method is to use something like VirtualBox to run a native Windows guest say like XP, 7, 8.1 and load all the Windows software there. Kurt

Burnsim, Rocksim 9, RASAero II are not my issue/problem... The reason I don't want to move from Win7 is ProPEP--any verified option for that?!

Burnsim, Rocksim 9, RASAero II are not my issue/problem... The reason I don't want to move from Win7 is ProPEP--any verified option for that?!

You using this? https://www.rimworld.com/nassarocketry/indexarchive.html

Once one is in WinBlows 10 you cannot simply "shutoff" updates except in a "pro" or enterprise version.
You'll be hounded to no end and the system is very sneaky in that one can shut stuff "off" and the OS will come back
at you with "social engineering" prompts to dupe you into "turning on" what MS wants you to turn on.

If one has a Win7 to 8.1 can use this utility to get rid of the update stuff: https://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ Once updated, if one didn't save the "old files" a restore isn't possible. MS is getting very aggressive.

Kurt

Would love to have a class action lawsuit to stop MrSofty from installing this junk on MY computer.
Should be illegal what they are doing IMHO.

Time to teach these bastards that PC's are PERSONAL computers and to keep their hands OFF!!!

Well, when ol Bill bought the DOS operating system he began calling consumers "end users". Fancy way of getting around consumer protection laws.

When microsoft was sued by the gov't they slid out from underneath the monopoly charge in a couple of ways, first you and I aren't the customer, computer manufacturers are. You are an end user. That is why you have to sign an end user agreement. Basically signing away your rights as a consumer. The second was when the judge went public with his thoughts on the case. Microsoft attorney's had the judgment removed because the presiding Judge couldn't keep his mouth shut.

read all about it years ago when doing some essays for college writing classes. read the actual documents for my reports.

Since then, been thinking it might be time to go after Microsoft the next time malware destroys my system, after all they keep the license and we are just end users, in other words they should protect us completely from any malware or pay, since they want so much control.

Mike

Last edited:
It's fun going up against Bill Gates

[YOUTUBE][video=youtube;H27rfr59RiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE[/video][/YOUTUBE]

(yes, I know BG isn't running MS anymore...)

That made me laugh.

Back