Amy Shira Teitel: Any other fans out there?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except she has tons of historical inaccuracies in her videos

I've been watching for a while. She's cute, and knows a lot about the old space program for sure. I've definitely learned a few things from watching. Sometimes it seems like half the comments on her videos are on topic, and the other half are about her boobs.

I got into a very long debate on one of her videos with some yahoo that didn't understand the concept of what gravity boosting is. He insisted that you can't leave a planet with higher velocity than you arrived with, much like a pendulum doesn't swing up faster than down. He refused to believe and then after getting insulting he just stopped posting. Maybe someone convinced him somewhere else.

Yes,,
I've seen her presentations as well...
Very well spoken,,
very well at presenting...
I like her and hope she does really well for herself...

Teddy

Please cite some examples so we can figure out if these are worth our time or not.

She's pretty good, has a nice broad knowledge base. But there are inaccuracies. I noticed one in her video about the Saturn V paint and I think another one I can't recall. Though the information she presented was correct, her model she kept referencing to in the background was painted wrong...the version w/the horizontal band on the first stage that never really existed. You know the one. Arrrrgh. Bothered me she presented all of this accurate info yet never addressed her incorrectly painted model.

Of course, that's one of my random pet peeves that I am strangely adamant about and many people don't care. Overall she definitely knows her stuff. Cool tidbit kind of stuff.

She's pretty good, has a nice broad knowledge base. But there are inaccuracies. I noticed one in her video about the Saturn V paint and I think another one I can't recall. Though the information she presented was correct, her model she kept referencing to in the background was painted wrong...the version w/the horizontal band on the first stage that never really existed. You know the one. Arrrrgh. Bothered me she presented all of this accurate info yet never addressed her incorrectly painted model.

Of course, that's one of my random pet peeves that I am strangely adamant about and many people don't care. Overall she definitely knows her stuff. Cool tidbit kind of stuff.
She did a whole video on the fact that her rocket is painted wrong, and why it is what it is. She says that the stripe was on the test version of the rocket which was the same size and weight as the real one, but used just to work out assembly and transportation issues. She probably bought the rocket marketed as an Apollo 11, someone pointed out the stripe, she looked into it and found out about the original paint scheme, and instead of repainting it she just says it was supposed to be that test version all along. Heh. Easier that way I guess.

Hadn't heard of her before this thread, certainly some interesting videos. A bit of googling turned up an article claiming plagiarism of other history articles. No idea how widespread that is, and whether it's a thing of the past or still ongoing. Doesn't point out any inaccuracies, just lack of attribution in some cases.

It's so stupid to plagiarize something like that when search engines are as powerful as they are, meaning that you're guaranteed to get caught. And once you're caught you're forever tainted by it and people don't trust what you publish as much.

She did a whole video on the fact that her rocket is painted wrong, and why it is what it is. She says that the stripe was on the test version of the rocket which was the same size and weight as the real one, but used just to work out assembly and transportation issues. She probably bought the rocket marketed as an Apollo 11, someone pointed out the stripe, she looked into it and found out about the original paint scheme, and instead of repainting it she just says it was supposed to be that test version all along. Heh. Easier that way I guess

Ah!! THIS is what I was thinking of, thank you. I found that similar video and it threw me off....I wondered why I couldn't find my comment.

She is wrong about that though...THAT was the inaccuracy I was looking for. Her model paint scheme is not correct to any built Saturn V. It is similar to the 500F test vehicle but not exact. Her model is a combination of the two paint schemes. That's what irked me. But I'm obsessive about random details and talk about this one often:p

I enjoy her videos. Very cool.

Also shows that if you're good(not perfect) at doing research and making a presentation, then you can have a successful YouTube channel. Perhaps do well enough that it's your sole source of income. These opportunities didn't exist 10 years ago.

This is who we're talking about for those of you that have not clicked the links.
Hard to miss when cruising the various Discovery sci fi channel programs these days.
While it's nice to see someone interested in the space program and its history (rather than trashing it as a big conspiracy on the internet) some of what passes for journalism these days goes back to the formula of "just put a pretty talking head on the air...people will listen".

AMY-IMG_3874.jpg

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/incubator/introducing-amy-shira-teitel/

Last edited:
she is easy on the eyes & ears, has a nice T-shirt collection, and has an interest in the past/future of space travel. good enough for me:).
Rex

The plagiarism accusations are off-putting, but appeared to me to be mostly a case of sloppy attribution rather than intentional misappropriation. I'd be pissed too if it was my stuff ripped off, but I've seen plenty of other presentations, mainly teevee shows, much more blatantly lifted. She certainly does seem to have tightened up her attribution practices since the complaints.

I can't say I've really learned too much from her videos, but I was a major space maven back in the 60s/70s and I've known most of this stuff for 40 years or more.

I'd give her about a B for general overall accuracy; not perfect but generally pretty good, and for somebody who was born roughly 20 years after Apollo 11 she generally does pretty well.

Some of her T-shirts are more outstanding than others, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

:wink:

PS: Personally, I go with "Jemmin-EYE." I know at the time NASA mostly went with "Jemmin-NEE," but they were speakin Texa-Flori-Baman for the most part.

Last edited:
It took you guy's 17 posts to get where my head was when I saw do a whole show on the science channel...
There must be something wrong with me... lol...

Teddy

It took you guy's 17 posts to get where my head was when I saw do a whole show on the science channel...
There must be something wrong with me... lol...

Teddy

Hmmm... Hadn't noticed until only just now.

-Larry (That's my story, an' I'm stickin' to it!) C. :smile:

Last edited:
Redhead, and someone posted that she has a pin up...?

I think this other redhead is still the rocketry pin up winner.

View attachment 291684 View attachment 291685

You guys ever see her pin-up poster? here ya go. Gus will appreciate it ...for sure!

kari+byron+hot1.jpg

Interesting fact she told me during a break from taping LDRS show. We spoke for hours, I asked how she got the job on Myth B.
She went to Hollywood wanting to become a stunt woman. Went to an interview with a friend looking for a job on TV show.
While her friend was doing her interview, she was in the background just talking to others waiting thier turn. [she was not there job hunting.]
A gentleman came out of interview room and began to BS with her. He slipped her his card and told her to call him later, he had to get back to the interviews. He was looking for a red head for his show about to be launched.
She called...got the job...card was Jamie's!

Just at the place at the right time.

I think this other redhead is still the rocketry pin up winner.
View attachment 291685

I agree...:point:

You guys ever see her pin-up poster? here ya go. Gus will appreciate it ...for sure!

View attachment 291704

Interesting fact she told me during a break from taping LDRS show. We spoke for hours, I asked how she got the job on Myth B.
She went to Hollywood wanting to become a stunt woman. Went to an interview with a friend looking for a job on TV show.
While her friend was doing her interview, she was in the background just talking to others waiting thier turn. [she was not there job hunting.]
A gentleman came out of interview room and began to BS with her. He slipped her his card and told her to call him later, he had to get back to the interviews. He was looking for a red head for his show about to be launched.
She called...got the job...card was Jamie's!

Just at the place at the right time.

*You guys ever see her pin-up poster?* Does a Bear SHUFFLE in the woods? I've seen that picture more than a few times...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the story too Jimmy! ;)

Video - She's got a new hair do...................bangs are in.

[video=youtube;JXmta6-6bPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXmta6-6bPo[/video]

Been watching her for awhile now. She is pretty amazing. I've really liked everything she has posted and learned a lot from her posts.

Back