Auto Paint Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
OK folks, I had dedicated the whole weekend to painting my winter builds that got auto colors. Problem is, I got a late start today and discovered my hardener had gotten really thick since I last used it. Now, all the auto stores (in my area) that carry it, are closed. I'm using acrylic enamel paint with reducer and a compatible hardener and I need to know if I can just use the reducer to thin out the hardener, or something else. It's not mixing well. I feel certain I can get the viscosity really close.

It's not really a brand. NAPA mixes whatever you need and it's what they use. Found out over the weekend that I can thin it out with the reducer, and it worked. I also learned, this hardener is usually a one time shot. They said, once the air hits this stuff, it becomes active and slowly starts to harden, even in a closed container. Use it all at once. Mine hadn't gotten rock hard yet, so I wanted to see if it could still be used. There's no way I can mix that much paint and still use it all down the road, so I have been dipping in the can whenever I needed some.

It's not really a brand. NAPA mixes whatever you need and it's what they use. Found out over the weekend that I can thin it out with the reducer, and it worked. I also learned, this hardener is usually a one time shot. They said, once the air hits this stuff, it becomes active and slowly starts to harden, even in a closed container. Use it all at once. Mine hadn't gotten rock hard yet, so I wanted to see if it could still be used. There's no way I can mix that much paint and still use it all down the road, so I have been dipping in the can whenever I needed some.
So, did you apply pigment or not?
Because if you did,we want pictures.

So, did you apply pigment or not?
Because if you did,we want pictures.

Hey, just got done peeling off the masking from the winter build in reference. I want to get the stripes in place before I take pics. This one is a real purdy rocket SD. Trying to get this stuff done in time for NSL.

My NAPA uses Nason as house brand. I use it exclusively. Tractor supply sells reducer. I believe any reducer will work. Why cant you get more from NAPA?

edit

Sorry, misunderstood OP. Using hardener "all in one shot" is BS. I have a quart can I have been using from for over 2 years. I always use "the wet look" hardener. Also, Tractor Supply also sells hardener as well as reducer.

Last edited:
edit

Sorry, misunderstood OP. Using hardener "all in one shot" is BS. I have a quart can I have been using from for over 2 years. I always use "the wet look" hardener. Also, Tractor Supply also sells hardener as well as reducer.

The first can of hardener I bought from NAPA got rock hard in one year. The second can I bought from O'Rileys was that wet look which lasted almost 3 years until it turned into a honey consistency. Jim, you have to know, that my experience with these paints and hardeners is short. I don't do it a lot and it's still a little new to me.

Our only NAPA closed at 4:30 PM that Saturday when I posted this thread and wouldn't be open again until Monday. I was just trying to salvage the weekend by reviving the thickened hardener. Next time I go to NAPA, I'm going to get their wet look hardener for sure.

Gary sorry, I understand everything now. Yea, Napa has some crazy hrs. I was a total newbie when I bought my first compressor. I also use very inexpensive hvlp paint guns. Experience is your best teacher. What works best for me, I put on one good coat, let cure, then I wet sand with 400 grit to get the gloss off and smooth out any imperfections. Second coat goes on much easier. I am also painting outside, no oven but the sun. I'm not professional by no means, but I think I do pretty good for an old truck driver!

Last edited:
Gary sorry, I understand everything now. Yea, Napa has some crazy hrs. I was a total newbie when I bought my first compressor. I also use very inexpensive hvlp paint guns. Experience is your best teacher. What works best for me, I put on one good coat, let cure, then I wet sand with 400 grit to o get the gloss off and smooth out any imperfections. Second coat goes on much easier. I am also painting outside, no oven but the sun. I'm not professional by no means, but I think I do pretty good for an old truck driver!

You paint bigger rockets than I build Jim. Hence, the spray gun. I'm only working on small models with an airbrush. My only compressor is one I bought at HF just for airbrushes. That's it. When I'm mixing paint, I use 2 oz jars. And FWIW, I'm still working on achieving one of those really awesome smooth finishes. The rockets still look good even though there's a consistent light texture throughout. I can always resort to Rusto 2X for a fine finish, but there's so many choices when using auto colors. And it dries faster than 2X. I prolly need a better airbrush.

I have a quart can I have been using from for over 2 years. I always use "the wet look" hardener.

Well, I got over to NAPA today only to discover that the 1/4 pint can of wet look hardener was now priced at $28.00. :y: The guy said he could sell me a quart of it for less than the 1/4 pint cost. Now THAT, is what I call pure BS! If I could use up a quart, I'd buy one. Hell, I can't go through a whole 1/4 pint can before it starts to harden.

I took off over to O'Rileys again and they still didn't have any, but they could have it in for me the next day. Their price for the wet look was $16.00. Somethin' be stankin over at NAPA fer sure. O'Rileys was where I got my last can of wet look and they don't even mix paints there.

Back