Saturn 1B - 1/23 Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epoxied the coupler fabricated from a section of sonotube that will attach the SM component to the forward CF airfame.
The shroud has excess FG around the bottom that will be trimmed to fit after coupler is cured.

Shroud Coupler.jpg Shroud fairing - coupler.jpg

Nice weather out today so I took it outdoors to assemble and take a picture or two before doing a weight check.

Top end with CF airframe came in at 9 pounds, bottom fin can/tank tubes came in at 8 pounds - 17 pounds of components so far.

Total still under 20 pounds, but I have yet to add the recovery system and recovery harness and rail guide hard points, some internal structural reinforcement, avionics and of course the motor hardware, and...the lead ballast on the front end for CG adjustment.

Assembled 1.jpg Assembled A.jpg

Last edited:
Man!! that is impressive! Looking awesome!!

Nice weather out today so I took it outdoors to assemble and take a picture or two before doing a weight check.

Top end with CF airframe came in at 9 pounds, bottom fin can/tank tubes came in at 8 pounds - 17 pounds of components so far.

Total under still 20 pounds, but I have yet to add the recovery system and recovery harness and rail guide hard points, some internal structural reinforcement, avionics and of course the motor hardware, and...the lead ballast on the front end for CG adjustment.

View attachment 310397 View attachment 310398

That is one sweet rocket

Thanks Alexander...took this to my club meet over the weekend to get advice from the guys on rail guides, internal structure and weight/motor range.
Tried to keep it light on the build....but it looks like AUW is going to put me at least in the K range at a minimum.

I've two months to go before LDRS, not sure I can get this done.

Sure don't want to rush this just to make a deadline.

Last edited:
Thanks Alexander...took this to my club meet over the weekend to get advice from the guys on rail guides, internal structure and weight/motor range.
Tried to keep it light on the build....but it looks like AUW is going to put me at least in the K range at a minimum.

I've two months to go before LDRS, not sure I can get this done.

Sure don't want to rush this just to make a deadline.

Patience lad, something that I dont have lol. But if anything I'd do it right than to rush it and mess it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total still under 20 pounds, but I have yet to add the recovery system and recovery harness and rail guide hard points, some internal structural reinforcement, avionics and of course the motor hardware, and...the lead ballast on the front end for CG adjustment.

View attachment 310397 View attachment 310398

And don't forget the paint! I expect that to be perfect! :wink:

Ply fin cores need to have a scale profile and thickness - cut sixteen pieces of pink foam to apply one to each side of each fin.
Will sand to shape and then apply CF layer.

Weight gain hopefully negligible.

Fin Foam.jpg

While I had more CF and peel ply on order for the fins, I was dabbling with two other projects for the fall, using unused Loc P. parts that were laying around for years.
( Some of your CR and stuff you got rid of are in those as well. :) )

Been on vacation at the OBX for a family reunion.
When I got back....work really heated up. But I need the darn day job to pay for this hobby.

Not in a big hurry - and this way I can watch Dave's Saturn 1B progress and steal more of his ideas! :lol:

Back