Pet Peeve!!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I see the monster truck flying a flag that is ripped to shreds and covered in diesel exhaust, I'd like to politely suggest that it's time to retire that flag. But I know where that will conversation will go...

Revenge? - buy a Chinese flag made in the US:

https://www.americanflags.com/china-flags.html

Then, do whatever with it...

Actually, perhaps it would be even better (and certainly cheaper) to buy a Chinese flag made in China and do whatever with it.

Anyway, all of my US flags (two, one I bought, one I was given) are very high quality, made in the U.S.A. embroidered flags.

Revenge? - buy a Chinese flag made in the US:

https://www.americanflags.com/china-flags.html

Then, do whatever with it...

Actually, perhaps it would be even better (and certainly cheaper) to buy a Chinese flag made in China and do whatever with it.

Anyway, all of my US flags (two, one I bought, one I was given) are very high quality, made in the U.S.A. embroidered flags.

We did have one of the rarest flag ever, a 49 star flag. It was such a short time between Alaska and Hawaii not many were sold.

I am the only person that flies a flag in my neighborhood. :(

I found this searching.."Where have all the flags gone?"

Colorado (PRWEB) June 5, 2005

An online flag-store owner has her concerns about the disappearance of the American flag in our country and would like to see "Old Glory" fly this 4th of July from every home in the United States.

During the aftermath of 9/11 patriotism was rampant. "Flags were an expression of hope for the American people. Anything in red, white and blue was heavily sought after. The American flag became the symbol, it seemed, for people to rally around, deeply resolved to defend and protect their country," says Karen Schneider, owner of the online flag store https://www.flagline.com in Colorado.

For her, it was not only a time of business, but also a time to listen to people. People directly involved in the attack told their stories. For example, the restaurant owner close to the WTC, who lost almost all his lunch crowd and now purchased a flag for all the families of the deceased. The grandmother who lost her grandson. A firefighter in his line of duty. The Ace hardware store owner, who needed extra-large flags for his customers. People, who had never thought about their place or the place the United States was taking in the world, were suddenly concerned citizens.

Three 4th of Julys have passed since. When strolling through any city or town in the United States today, nothing will remind one of what happened 9/11. "Where have all the flags gone?" Karen asks, coined after a rendered version of Pete Seeger's song. "Today, we sold more German, French, Canadian and, yes, even Russian flags than American flags."

4th of July is around the corner. Flagline.com would like to see Americans again proudly display Old Glory from their businesses and homes. From now until July 4, shipping will be free on all orders at flagline.com. Please mention, "4th of July" in the comments box or on the phone.

That's only 3 years after 9/11.!!!
Some where I found a picture of a street rite after 9/11. Flags everywhere up down the street. NOW....hardly a one!!!!!!!!!.Wish I could find that picture.

Last edited:
When I see the monster truck flying a flag that is ripped to shreds and covered in diesel exhaust, I'd like to politely suggest that it's time to retire that flag. But I know where that will conversation will go...

I agree. Actually there is a US Code for flag etiquette, albeit not legally enforceable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

Back when I lived in Minneapolis, I had a US flag hanging in my living room - oriented correctly with the stars to the flag's own right as per the code.

I have two major pet peeves around the flag code. The first is when flag patches on the right shoulder are the wrong way. They should have the stars to the right ("backward") so it looks like the person is moving into the wind. The other is when people wear flags as clothing, particularly when it's not an image of a flag, just the stars and stripes. Do you really need a pair of pajama pants with stars on the right hip and stripes going down each leg?

Here's one of mine.

MY FLAG 2015-11-04 001.jpg

I also proudly fly a Made In The U.S.A. Flag on a Pole in my front yard.

It Peeves me too when folks don't honor it and what it represents in a proper fashion.
In my eye's it is just about the most beautiful thing I will ever know.

Last edited:
We;ve got flags flying all over town. It's good to see. It's not "lone star in texas" level....but it's still cool.

I grabbed a bing street view of a random address on my street..... pleasantly saw this :)

26964816186_a928e1921b_b.jpg

Just took a beer run. Still lots of flags flying, and Central ave in the Village still has Christmas lights up and lit, and flags off the light poles.

'Merica.

Last edited:
Just too a beer run. Still lots of flags flying, and Central ave in the Village still has Christmas lights up and lit, and flags off the light poles.

'Merica.

I just saw a "MERICA" license plate today.:)

[video=youtube;KIsv1YOFNys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys[/video]

I get lots of sponsorship from this forum, but let's not forget who I really am.
I use everybody's Products.
Glock Tat 004.jpg
My right arm would be made of Balsa and FG if I could make it so, but I can't, so I'm stuck with the one I have.:facepalm::blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij99dud8-0A

Last edited:
What really chaps my cheeks is people protesting waving a foreign flag AND violating US Citizens their CONSITUTIONAL RIGHT to free assembly! Anyway enjoy this video!

[video=youtube;YaxGNQE5ZLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxGNQE5ZLA[/video]

I have two major pet peeves around the flag code. The first is when flag patches on the right shoulder are the wrong way. They should have the stars to the right ("backward") so it looks like the person is moving into the wind.

Both are correct. - https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2...the-american-flag-backward-on-scout-uniforms/

Personally, flying flags should fly... staticly sewn, painted, or otherwise fixed flags should be normally displayed. The US military seems to disagree, but I honestly don't get it. Arm, Vehicle, sure they move, but it's fixed. It would be like saying the earth is spinning and any wall should have the blue facing the direction of the spin.

Last edited:
Also the video linked by TALON is not really accurate as to the motivations of Francis Scott Key - he was there to negotiate the release of one specific person - Dr. William Beanes

One of the things I did when I was a Scout Leader was hold flag retirement ceremonies at our campouts. Early in the day I would get the older boys to help me cut up the flags into small pieces following traditional guidelines. Then during our big campfire I would start by playing the Star Spangled Banner on a boombox followed by a short history of the flag. I would then talk about the sacrifices our armed forces have made for our freedoms and the fact that American servicemen are fighting and dying for that freedom while we enjoy the comforts of home. After that I would play Taps and have a moment of silence. Then everyone present was invited to come up and retire a piece of flag by placing it onto the campfire. I was always amazed and moved by how even the youngest kids would suddenly become solemn and well mannered and quietly come up and take a piece of a flag and retire it.

On several occasions when we were at state parks nearby families would bring their kids and without really saying anything have them join in as well. Afterwards they expressed gratitude at having an occasion to honor both the flag and our service members.

All in all it was a great reminder that given a chance most folks are respectful and willing to honor the flag once they really understand what it means. But too often the meaning of the flag is lost or overlooked by folks who only see it as graphic art and not as a symbol of our country and more importantly the sacrifices that so many have made to keep us free.

Tony

I have two major pet peeves around the flag code. The first is when flag patches on the right shoulder are the wrong way. They should have the stars to the right ("backward") so it looks like the person is moving into the wind. The other is when people wear flags as clothing, particularly when it's not an image of a flag, just the stars and stripes. Do you really need a pair of pajama pants with stars on the right hip and stripes going down each leg?

You will see the flag going in the wrong direction all the time on vehicles. Go in the store or look up "window clings" and see how many don't have the "backwards" flag included in the set.

The “backwards” flag woven into the sleeves of our nation’s soldiers ensures that when our military men and women are charging forward, our flag will always appear to be charging forward with them, never retreating.

I do not understand burning or stomping on the flag being covered by free speech.

One of the things I did when I was a Scout Leader was hold flag retirement ceremonies at our campouts. Early in the day I would get the older boys to help me cut up the flags into small pieces following traditional guidelines. Then during our big campfire I would start by playing the Star Spangled Banner on a boombox followed by a short history of the flag. I would then talk about the sacrifices our armed forces have made for our freedoms and the fact that American servicemen are fighting and dying for that freedom while we enjoy the comforts of home. After that I would play Taps and have a moment of silence. Then everyone present was invited to come up and retire a piece of flag by placing it onto the campfire. I was always amazed and moved by how even the youngest kids would suddenly become solemn and well mannered and quietly come up and take a piece of a flag and retire it.

On several occasions when we were at state parks nearby families would bring their kids and without really saying anything have them join in as well. Afterwards they expressed gratitude at having an occasion to honor both the flag and our service members.

All in all it was a great reminder that given a chance most folks are respectful and willing to honor the flag once they really understand what it means. But too often the meaning of the flag is lost or overlooked by folks who only see it as graphic art and not as a symbol of our country and more importantly the sacrifices that so many have made to keep us free.

Tony

Thank You for doing that. It is important to instill a sense of of nationalistic pride in our youth. I got my start as a Patriot in Boy Scouts.
I try to live everyday as a responsible Citizen, and respect and help my fellow countryfolks.

Burning or stomping the flag should be considered an act of revolution. And dealt with accordingly.

Burning or stomping the flag should be considered an act of revolution. And dealt with accordingly.

That's one of the reasons that I am living the life of a Hermit.
If I saw that kind of behavior, I would deal with it accordingly, so it is best is I stay out in the sticks for everyone's sake.:wink:
The Red Stripes represent something very personal to me, so you may as well try to light me on fire or stomp on me.
It never ends well for the other guy.

As a person who took the OATH, I would have to defend a person who is burning OUR FLAG! I wouldn't like it, and like all of our RIGHTS, just because it is a right, somtimes it is better NOT to excersise that right. Now I might have some choice words for that idiot, I mean person who I am defending, but I did sware to my GOD to defend that right!
But, burning the flag and or waving a foreign flag while denying American Citizens their Constitutional Rights IS an act of WAR in my thinking!!!!

Danged "atmosphere" and "Physics", and reusable rockets.... :)

Tq4y1HU.jpg

1cOQFZj.jpg

For those who don't follow, that's the booster from the last SpaceX Falcon-9 launch, of JCSAT-14 (being moved today from Port Canaveral dock to a SpaceX building near Pad 39A). Due to the payload mass and need to launch it into a Geostationary Transfer Orbit, they cut fuel usage to the bone, eliminating one of three burns, leading to a VERY hot re-entry which shows a lot more cosmetic heat damage than the other two successfully recovered boosters had (unknown to what extent there might be more than cosmetic damage, regarding refurbishment for re-use). It was not expected that it would land safely, but it did.

YiREqDH.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Very moving, thanks for sharing

You will see the flag going in the wrong direction all the time on vehicles. Go in the store or look up "window clings" and see how many don't have the "backwards" flag included in the set.

The “backwards” flag woven into the sleeves of our nation’s soldiers ensures that when our military men and women are charging forward, our flag will always appear to be charging forward with them, never retreating.

That's called "Forward Into Combat".:)

As a person who took the OATH, I would have to defend a person who is burning OUR FLAG! I wouldn't like it, and like all of our RIGHTS, just because it is a right, somtimes it is better NOT to excersise that right. Now I might have some choice words for that idiot, I mean person who I am defending, but I did sware to my GOD to defend that right!
But, burning the flag and or waving a foreign flag while denying American Citizens their Constitutional Rights IS an act of WAR in my thinking!!!!

It's true, you have to sometimes defend folks Rights to be disrespectful jerks, but they do have those Rights, and that is part of what makes America great.

Back