NAR Testing Issues?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
In another thread (see this link), a motor vendor said that NAR is unable to test motors at the moment. Does anyone know why and how long the suspension is supposed to last?

Greg

Normally I would let this be. However, if there is a problem, I believe the membership should be entitled to an explanation.

I guess with no explanation it is open to speculation. I have a guess but will refrain for now though!

It's not like this statement is coming from a individual who heard a rumor or behind closed doors of a meeting room, it came from the GM of one of the largest manufacturers in a public forum. I think some level of explanation is warranted.

No assumption made. A clear explanation from either side would be a simple step to stop speculation. If there is a problem that may impact how I enjoy my hobby, I'd like to know how it affects me so I can plan accordingly.

Political forces - snort! This is a small company in a limited market segment and an organization that exists to serve its membership. If either has their knickers in a twist over the other, they need to get over it.

It was a joke, hence the emoticon with the wink.

No matter what is going on, I would expect both parties to at least chuckle at the joke.

I will not speculate or guess or invent insane scenarios.

Goodness, let's not go there. We have two different opinions on whether/why/not testing is stalled, all else is speculation.

Seriously?

Shame on both party's for keeping this under cover. It will hurt both entities as speculation will run rampant. Rumors will fly and reputations will be hurt. Orrrrrrr.........
they can be open, which will protect against speculation and rumors.

If the availability is being hurt, we deserve to know why.
If it's something petty (or that would look petty to us), then both parties need to act professionally.
If it's a legitimate, substantive concern with the product (AT's responsibility) or the testing (NAR's responsibility), they should be transparent.

Rocket people want. They must be fed. They must be fed fast or they will begin to speculate.

Whole lot of speculation there. NAR cannot possibly monitor every forum post to respond to everything stated by a manufacturer. They do have a presence on Facebook. Maybe you should ask your questions there.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Shame on both party's for keeping this under cover.

Less than a day has passed since a simple comment about a motor testing availability issue, and you're saying it's under cover? Guys, the universe does not revolve around TRF. Let's give the folks directly involved an opportunity to address the situation, whatever it is, and keep our pants on. Go mow the lawn, or build a model, and try to keep the paranoia to a minimum.

No need to worry, there are three alternative certifying authorities.

Goodness, let's not go there :wink: We have two different opinions on whether/why/not testing is stalled, all else is speculation.

Speculation? What speculation? I read both threads, and nothing has been speculated. One guy says it is "political," and another guy may know something but is not talking. Wow, rampant speculation! Snore.......

Speculation? What speculation? I read both threads, and nothing has been speculated. One guy says it is "political," and another guy may know something but is not talking. Wow, rampant speculation! Snore.......

I'll remember you said that after about three more pages of people speculating :D

Some people say that others might have been commenting on the very pertinent issues at hand about whether or not someone once said that maybe an acquaintance might possibly have known what another interested party mentioned on the aforementioned affair.

Some people say that others might have been commenting on the very pertinent issues at hand about whether or not someone once said that maybe an acquaintance might possibly have known what another interested party mentioned on the aforementioned affair.

Channeling your inner Jack Sparrow?

Rocket people want. They must be fed. They must be fed fast or they will begin to speculate.

Or begin certifying their own motors...

If something is preventing the National Bodies from conducting certification testing, it will only lead to harming the reputation of the hobby.

This is one of the hobbies that should be taught in school, so that we may all steward it in a responsible manner.
It's a real shame when ANYTHING gets in the way of Rocketry.
Where the heck are our Future Rocket Scientists supposed to come from if they are not inspired at an early age???
In Russia, they encourage "Active Guidance" under thrust via Radio Control at the hobby level.
I even have a PDF of a Book on a Disc that was given to me by a forum member who will remain nameless, that basically tells you how to make a radio controlled rocket.
It is translated into English, but it is obviously part of a Russian Club's "Curriculum".
No wonder we buy our launch vehicles from them.
If the N.A.R. Can't even certify a Hobby Motor, something is afoot!!

Last edited:
The second order corollary of speculation is jumping to conclusions. You seem to have that down pat.

Or begin certifying their own motors...

If something is preventing the National Bodies from conducting certification testing, it will only lead to harming the reputation of the hobby.

This is one of the hobbies that should be taught in school, so that we may all steward it in a responsible manner.
It's a real shame when ANYTHING gets in the way of Rocketry.
Where the heck are our Future Rocket Scientists supposed to come from if they are not inspired at an early age???
In Russia, they encourage "Active Guidance" under thrust via Radio Control at the hobby level.
I even have a PDF of a Book on a Disc that was given to me by a forum member who will remain nameless, that basically tells you how to make a radio controlled rocket.
It is translated into English, but it is obviously part of a Russian Club's "Curriculum".
No wonder we buy our launch vehicles from them.
If the N.A.R. Can't even certify a Hobby Motor, something is afoot!!

The second order corollary of speculation is jumping to conclusions. You seem to have that down pat.

I could not help myself.
I would gladly stay out of this thread if it suits you, no skin off my nose, just ask, and I'll even delete my post.:)

I'de be building rockets no matter what, and have other threads to play in, so if I got colloquy and you found it out of line, I bow out and mean no offense.

Psst! Jumping to conclusions is all the exercise some rocketeers get....:)

Now THAT, is something I can take offense to. I'm, 168lbs, and 5'9"(Used to be 5'11.5" and a very toned 195lbs.), and make a point of walking my Dog 3-4 miles a day, despite my fractured spine.
You can P!SS on my rocketry skills any day of the week, and sometimes I deserve that, but don't you dare suggest that I don't go out of my way to do my physical therapy and keep myself fit.
Them's fighting words. My broken body takes great offense, but I'm also mentally healthy enough to let it go, so just know, I'm not some fat slob who always exercises my digits at the Keyboard.:mad:

I much rather be running my Machinegun than being a cripple playing with a bunch of overgrown children.

MyM240B 004.jpg

You are right about one thing though, a lot of people don't take care of themselves.

Don't you tell me about Exercise!!

I used to be to exercise what Sodmiester is to Rockets.
I still maintain as best I can, but only carry an M4 style rifle and a Glock 19 for EDC now.

Last edited:
Now THAT, is something I can take offense to. I'm, 168lbs, and 5'9"(Used to be 5'11.5" and a very toned 195lbs.), and make a point of walking my Dog 3-4 miles a day, despite my fractured spine.
You can P!SS on my rocketry skills any day of the week, and sometimes I deserve that, but don't you dare suggest that I don't go out of my way to do my physical therapy and keep myself fit.
Them's fighting words. My broken body takes great offense, but I'm also mentally healthy enough to let it go, so just know, I'm not some fat slob who always exercises my digits at the Keyboard.:mad:

I much rather be running my Machinegun than being a cripple playing with a bunch of overgrown children.

View attachment 290833

You are right about one thing though, a lot of people don't take care of themselves.

Don't you tell me about Exercise!!

I used to be to exercise what Sodmiester is to Rockets.
I still maintain as best I can, but only carry an M4 style rifle and a Glock 19 for EDC now.

ITS A JOKE! I for one want to have fun here, and as such am attacking no individuals (well at least not recently, all the ones that deserved it were banned long ago).

Back