fyrfytr310's Level 3 - Polecat 10" Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
It is with great excitement and anxiety that I create this thread as a means to help document my Level 3 attempt! I have decided to go with the Polecat 10" Nike Smoke largely inspired by Chuck Haislip's project from 2011.

I'll give more details later but since I was finally able to push the 'go' button on the purchase, I felt it appropriate to begin the thread today!

Here is link with the basic kit data.

Good choice. The kit and not the inspiration. My wife would recommend you list all the things I did wrong.

Sweet! That was the direction I was going too based on Chuck's. However we can't have two - I was on the fence between that and a DX3 Massive bash, so that is where I'll go and watch this thread with great interest and maybe build it one day.

Subscribed!

Sweet! That was the direction I was going too based on Chuck's. However we can't have two - I was on the fence between that and a DX3 Massive bash, so that is where I'll go and watch this thread with great interest and maybe build it one day.

Subscribed!

I was going to go DX3 but Chuck's build pushed me the other direction (the $300 delta didn't hurt either....). I'll definitely be following yours as well!

Oh. I informed my wife and daughter about this project over dinner. My wife's response was a simple sigh drowned out by my daughter screaming, "You're going to have 40,000 rockets now!" Gotta love it.

I really enjoyed building that rocket. It was the easiest large build I have done.

So I've got shipping confirmation on the kit, the (4) Fruity Chutes kevlar Y-harnesses and the kevlar material I am going to make my own blankets from. Chuck, you used Blue tube for your MMT and I was considering doing the same (or maybe phenolic). Do you recall how the BT fit in the CRs? Did they take much modification?

The CRs fit well. I did not have to do any sanding. I added some parts but I did not have to modify any.

I use MadCow or Topflight blankets.

The build can begin! I have both TAPS engaged and they have approved my preliminary construction plan!

A look at the parts:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464050453.070660.jpg

I am upgrading the u-bolts from 1/4" to 5/16" and doubling the count for redundancy in conjunction with Kevlar y-harnesses from Fruity Chutes. I will be using an Aero Pack 98mm retainer. One major deviation I am taking from the directions is cutting from the fin slots to the aft end (using a thin blade) so I can build the entire fin can prior to insertion. The kit comes with a small section of coupler to strengthen the aft end anyway so this shouldn't be an issue.

This. Kit. Is. Big. That is a Binder Velociraptor leaning against this beast for scale.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464050701.535333.jpg

The build can begin! I have both TAPS engaged and they have approved my preliminary construction plan!

A look at the parts:

View attachment 291824

I am upgrading the u-bolts from 1/4" to 5/16" and doubling the count for redundancy in conjunction with Kevlar y-harnesses from Fruity Chutes. I will be using an Aero Pack 98mm retainer. One major deviation I am taking from the directions is cutting from the fin slots to the aft end (using a thin blade) so I can build the entire fin can prior to insertion. The kit comes with a small section of coupler to strengthen the aft end anyway so this shouldn't be an issue.

This. Kit. Is. Big. That is a Binder Velociraptor leaning against this beast for scale.

View attachment 291825[/QUOTEl

Congrats on the acquisition. I will be following with much interest. You will really love the kit. It really is a true and straight flyer. Guaranteed to command everyone's attention on launch day. Good Luck on the build and enjoy the process. Oz
:pop:

subscribing as I'm very interested to see how this goes. I've looked at this and the 8" DX3; but haven't seen any build threads on that one. This should be great to follow. Good luck.

Woohoo! A Fun day when you dry build outside your house cause it won't fit inside, neighbors think your crazy but we don't ...well maybe a little but at least we share your craziness.

A suggestion: If you number and keep the sections of the airframe you cut out for the fin can, you can glue them back in later to make a nicer finish.

Aft CR installed on MMT with JB Weld after some light sanding with 100 grit. I will use JB on all CRs. Care was taken to remove as much excess epoxy as possible to prevent interference with the fins.

One of my TAPS is going to loan a 98mm hardware set for me to align and install the Aero Pack retainer this weekend.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464094983.702797.jpg

With the excess JB (of which I always seem to have...) I filled the holes pre-drilled for the 1/4" u-bolt.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464095738.623569.jpg

MMT marked for middle CR and said CR JB Welded into place, spaced for a snug fin fitment. I also filled the 1/4" u-bolt holes in the nose bulkhead with my excess JB. Tomorrow, I will slit the airframe and fill the remaining 1/4" u-bolt holes in the forward CR and the av-bay bulkheads. If time permits, I will also install the forward CR hardware and might even get it installed on the MMT.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464141392.077820.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464141404.256934.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464141414.987879.jpg

Forward CR drilled for the upgraded u-bolts and installed with top fillet only. A dab of JB on each of the top u-bolt nits as well for good measure. Tomorrow I will do the bottom fillet and JB the bottom u-bolt nuts as well.

I'm going to DC for work next week so progress will slow for a bit.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464314922.297731.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464314938.328833.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1464314949.538322.jpg

Things have been a little hectic around here. New job. Decided to build a new house. Stress.....

Anyway.

I have made 1 slit from 1 fin slot to the aft end of the airframe. Frankly, I'm not sure why. Ultimately all 4 will be slit so I can remove the fin can but I don't think I really needed to do it here. The other three were slit just 1/2-3/4" to facilitate slit completion after the fins are tacked to the MMT. This was necessary as the rear CR lined up just forward of the aft end of the fin slots with the aft reinforcement ring in place.

I wanted to keep the airframe as intact as possible so the fins could be aligned properly while tacking which is why I am smacking my forehead on the first complete slit....

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1465606286.618697.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1465606300.792910.jpg

I'll spend some time on the belt sander this weekend bevelling the fins and hopefully I can have them tacked early next week.

I will then be taking the fin can to my TAP for inspection (the real purpose of the trip is to borrow the 98mm hardware I need for retainer alignment).

Not a lot of progress :(. I have the fins in my fathers shop where I will finally bevel them but I have simply not had the time. Hopefully this week.... On the upside, I ordered the foam I will need for the nose from US Composites and hope to have it hear early next week!

Forward movement! I have beveled 2/4 fins. I decided to use a hand sanding block with the hopes of having a more even finish. I'm happy with the results so far.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467999750.259189.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467999766.996440.jpg

I made 100 passes with 60g and 30 passes of 400g on each edge.

Next, the MMT was roughed with 60g.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467999968.709042.jpg

Finally, a generous amount of JB was applied to the root edge for tacking in place. I used a plumb bob and string to keep the fin aligned.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1468000039.057147.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1468000075.064359.jpg

P.S. Pardon my garage. We have decided to move and for some reason that means 'buy a bunch of crap and put it in the only space I have to myself...'

Forward movement! I have beveled 2/4 fins. I decided to use a hand sanding block with the hopes of having a more even finish. I'm happy with the results so far.

P.S. Pardon my garage. We have decided to move and for some reason that means 'buy a bunch of crap and put it in the only space I have to myself...'

I know your pain on the occupied space. We are selling our house along with its 24'x30' shop, the new house has a 15'x15' shed :( . Oh well, at least with a two car garage the storage will move to there and I will be able to build a new 20'x24' or 30' shop in the back eventually.

Love your Occam's Razor fin alignment method. Brilliant! Einstein himself couldn't have come up with that one.

Love your Occam's Razor fin alignment method. Brilliant! Einstein himself couldn't have come up with that one.

Full credit goes to Chuck mentioned earlier in this thread. I love it for big fins.

Last edited:
Yes looking great - in thanks for sharing you fin alignment method,?wish I would've thought of that

Back