Fusion Rocket - Anyone hear of this one?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish he would start selling them again. I guess I missed it.

If you take a closer look... you'll see that the website is being re-designed... and will be back up and running again next week.... You can still order a Fusion by calling us at (509) 525-4461. Our facebook page is still up, as well. No need to worry!

And thanks guys for the comments - we appreciate it! And DLB....? Well, you're back at it again, eh....? My favorite troll. :)

Last edited:
I bought one very recently, and while I won't be building it immediately, I can honestly say it was the best packaged rocket I have ever bought! *Every* piece was wrapped in paper to protect it inside the box. Very nice...the instructions are also very detailed.

Glad to hear it! Let me know how the build goes, and if you can make any suggestions for improvements.

Glad to see someone comment on this thread, while I don't know Scott all that well, he occasionally flies with our club. Last June at our 3 day event he came and flew the Fusion at our field. The rocket is nice looking and flies well. As for the drama that goes on around here, well its a small community and some people don't like each other they need to grow up and keep their opinions on each other private. That being said Scott's rockets are first rate quality.

Thanks, Rich

Know this is a old thread but thought I would update with the following as I recently completed a build of this kit;

The FUSION high power model rocket kit is another creation from the mind of Scott Binder and is available from www.fusionrocket.biz. I have built other rockets from BSD so when I was looking for my next rocket and wanted to get into dual deployment I thought I would give this a try. Nice thing about this kit is that everything is included especially the Missileworks RRC3 altimeter and the size of this kit fit with the motor casing I already have. Plan is to fly on an I211 motor.
picture#1

The kit came well packed and secured with all the parts and hardware required. You will need various glues and epoxy and some general hobby tools and sanding materials. If you decide to go with the vinyl body wrap then you only need primer and paint for nose cone and fin section.
picture#2

Over the years I have built many rockets, TRIPOLI Level 2 certified 08694, and this kit has probably the best detailed color building instructions I have ever seen, so I will not go through each and every build step.
Assemble to Motor Tube
Building the motor tube is straight forward, test fit all the rings and sand as needed. The blind nuts will have to be filed down to fit the tube as they extend some due to the location of the pre-drilled holes.
picture#3

For Step #3 the instructions say to slide the centering ring on the tube to a line at 3/16. I wanted the motor and body tube to line up so I increased this mark to about ¼ inch.

Building The Airframe
Make sure you label/ mark the Upper Coupler Assembly and Lower Coupler Assembly and their direction to the nose of the rocket. This helps with the build and can prevent mistakes.
picture #5

The instructions call for the Electronics Bay to be free floating in the tube with the wires extended outward. I wanted something a little more secured and with a switch so I built a rail system to hold the Ebay in place. This addition added 4.8 oz of weight.
picture #6

The precut fin slots were a nice addition and really did not require much sanding for a perfect fit. Use the provided alignment guide to align the fins.
picture #7

I also used the alignment guile to mark locations for the plastic rivets. I needed to make sure that they aligned with the switch opening for the Ebay and did not interfere with the rail button line.
picture #8

Applying the Vinyl Body Wrap
This step was actually very frustrating but worth the effort. I used tape to keep the sections aligned. And the rail line as an alignment starting mark. Ultimately, I landed up cutting some of the sections to make things easier.
picture #9

Also, I used my own retention system and rail buttons, but those supplied with work just fine. I decided to not build the GoPro bay. There are many other options available for lower cost HD cameras so I was not going to risk my expensive GoPro on this one. Maybe I will add this later.
picture #10

I am very pleased with the end result and look forward to flying this rocket in the spring 2018.

Picture #1c.jpg

Picture #2b.jpg

picture#3b.jpg

picture#5b.jpg

picture#6b.jpg

picture#7b.jpg

picture#8b.jpg

picture#9b.jpg

picture#11c.jpg

picture#10b.jpg

Glad to hear it! Let me know how the build goes, and if you can make any suggestions for improvements.

LOL, ok, I think it is now next in the build pile! This is one where I am mentally preparing myself to follow the instructions *exactly*, with no deviations. I'm always interested in learning new things, but I ain't gonna learn anything if I keep doing it my same old way...

Was able to fly the FUSION rocket this weekend at theCentral Virginia Tripoli #25 Battle Park launch in Culpeper VA on an I211W. I added the black powder to the motor ejection as a backup ejection charge, it must have been to strong since the nose cone came loose and the main was deployed at apogee. On landing the rocket was blown for some distance on the ground and was run over by a truck and destroyed. Crazy thing is that it was all catch on video, didn’t even know about the truck until I got home and watched the video. Check it out https://youtu.be/UrvY2qjOgDc

FusionRocketTruck.jpg

FusionRocketLaunch.jpg

FusionRocketCamera.jpg

Wonder what the guy in the truck was thinking as the rocket slid in front of him?

Sorry about that, it's a drag (no pun intended). I almost had that happen last year to my prized 4" rocket. Nose cone on one side of the road, booster on the other, upper tube in the middle, and a grain truck drove by. Luckily he missed it and the turbulence didn't drag it down the road.

Sorry about that, it's a drag (no pun intended). I almost had that happen last year to my prized 4" rocket. Nose cone on one side of the road, booster on the other, upper tube in the middle, and a grain truck drove by. Luckily he missed it and the turbulence didn't drag it down the road.

Howdy John, you coming to fly with us this weekend?

Was able to fly the FUSION rocket this weekend at theCentral Virginia Tripoli #25 Battle Park launch in Culpeper VA on an I211W. I added the black powder to the motor ejection as a backup ejection charge, it must have been to strong since the nose cone came loose and the main was deployed at apogee. On landing the rocket was blown for some distance on the ground and was run over by a truck and destroyed. Crazy thing is that it was all catch on video, didn’t even know about the truck until I got home and watched the video. Check it out https://youtu.be/UrvY2qjOgDc

Sorry for your loss, but that is one of the best rocket videos ever! I like how the guy from the white car angrily heaves the rocket off the road!

Can someone explain how the Go-Pro mounts to the rocket? I assume it's simply the wooden holder mounted with screws? Looks like a great kit!
PM TRF user Scottydog1 that is Scott Binder owner of SBR Rockets aka fusionrockets.

The GoPro mount epoxies onto the inside of the airframe tube. Has a removable back plate to keep the camera in place.

Thanks for the intel. Reached out to Scott Binder, and order a kit today. Going to build it for dual deploy, and fly my Go-Pro 6, along with nose cone tracker and telemetry. Can't wait to build this one.

Back