• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

33+" Chute Protector

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
Anyone have any lightly used subject items? I need 2 but will take one of available. This is for a 10.5" project.

Like I usually do, just looking to clear some space in others tackle boxes before I go retail.

I've purchased the same stuff from the same seller. Always quick and easy. The weave isn't as tight as I would like it to be. That said, I have had zero problems with the three dozen or so flights that I've used it. I have a serger, and use nomex thread and have made everything from 6x6s to 18x18s, BP and APCP motor deploy, as well as 3F BP dual deploy.

Consider this found. I don't immediately see where I can do this.

I just wish I knew how to use the wife's sewing machine to finish off the edges and make button holes.

I've purchased the same stuff from the same seller. Always quick and easy. The weave isn't as tight as I would like it to be. That said, I have had zero problems with the three dozen or so flights that I've used it. I have a serger, and use nomex thread and have made everything from 6x6s to 18x18s, BP and APCP motor deploy, as well as 3F BP dual deploy.

I'm glad to hear you say that- I bought some too, and was a little nervous that I can see through it. Not like gauze, of course, but not as tight as the Madcow blankets I have. Do not have very good sewing skills, but planning to learn. No serger, either, but I'm slowly figuring out how to make this work on my wife's Singer. If only I could figure out how to get the button hole thing to work...may need my mother-in-law to bail me out on that one!

I fully intend to pull in the skilled hands of my step-mother for the sewing venture....

Guys not to cut my sales but you don't need a serged edge. Just do a rolled hem. And as far as the button hole just take some 1/8" Kevlar and attach a loop to one corner of the protector. The serged edge is just to make the edge look nice and for speed of making them. When Miki sets down and does 100 protectors it would take much longer to do a rolled hem on each one.

I use pinking shears and skip the hems, serging, and button holes. I figure it will wear out and need replacing prior to unraveling.

I do reinforce the ends of the shock cord slots with some heavy duty thread, as those have a tendency to tear, but I'm using homemade flame resistant denim.

I'm glad to hear you say that- I bought some too, and was a little nervous that I can see through it. Not like gauze, of course, but not as tight as the Madcow blankets I have. Do not have very good sewing skills, but planning to learn. No serger, either, but I'm slowly figuring out how to make this work on my wife's Singer. If only I could figure out how to get the button hole thing to work...may need my mother-in-law to bail me out on that one!

Mom-in-law came for dinner tonight, and I somehow convinced her to give this a try on my wife's machine. She couldn't figure out the button-hole attachment either! I then saw a metal flag that moved up and down- I dropped it down, and voila, worked like a charm.
Upon testing, however, each of the four I tried failed in some way or another- two got so burnt they crumbled, which makes me wonder if what I bought is real nomex? The other two held together, but passed a great deal of exhaust gasses through- enough to stain the white tee shirt I was using as a test-dummy. I didn't get good results until I doubled the material up. Will post some pictures if I can.

Back