mold release from stainless mandrel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcampbell

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm sure there's probably countless strings on this...but how does one create a clean release of a fiberglass layover from a stainless steel mandrel? TIA

Tom C

Spray on some Teflon Dry-lube maybe?

Dry-Lube.jpg

I need to learn this soon too, so I'll be following this thread.

Last edited:
FAI folks seem to prefer Aervoe/Crown Mold Release #3470N. Haven't done it myself, also following w/ interest.

Why can't I find it for sale.
All my search results were MSDS info and just info about it. None for sale???
I must be doing something wrong???

Why can't I find it for sale.
All my search results were MSDS info and just info about it. None for sale???
I must be doing something wrong???

Top:
last time I got a 16oz can (12oz product) it was from a CASE order from the manufacturer. www.aervoe.com I seem to recall it was about 9 or 10 bucks with shipping.
But I believe it is only available by the 12 can case...I may be wrong, but the only place i've gotten it was through one of the FAI competitiors when they place a team order. That's the best I have.. about 1/2 can left:)

And it comes by the GALLON, and offers you a "Quote", rather than a price.

I'm not building the Space Shuttle!!!
Why not? Quit fooling around with that puny MMX stuff and go big or go home already. It'll be a good test of your glassing skills.

(Hope I don't need the :))

I use different mandrels, but always used Mann 200 or Mann 400 for polling tubes or casting propellant. Coupled with a .005" Mylar wrap. Release on the Mylar too.

I think I bought a case of the avero stuff for epoxy and it looks like chunks of wax spraying out. Seemed pretty bad to work with IMO. I gave away a few cans locally and those that tried it didn't like it either. Maybe there is a trick to it that I don't know.

Why not? Quit fooling around with that puny MMX stuff and go big or go home already. It'll be a good test of your glassing skills.

(Hope I don't need the :))

I'de gladly build a Space Shuttle if I had the room and the resources, but I'm building stuff that's halfway decent in my living room, so doing a few FG tubes in the BT-5 through BT-80 Range is doable, and likely would not require very much release agent.
There are also some non-tubular parts that require molding, and they are even smaller, but to be able to mold them would be great.
I even have some molds made from available objects, but hesitate to use them as I can't figure how to release them once the epoxy cures.
I'm going to order a few cans of the 3470 next time I have money, and then you are going to see my building techniques advance to the next level.
Even if it is on a doable scale.
I have made so many messy attempts, and watch so many others successfully release molded parts on Youtube.
I plan to join the ranks shortly.

Latest posts

Back