Mystery Tool. What the heck is this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
Years ago, I inherited all my dads tools which included a great big roll around Craftsman tool box. I've been meaning to research it for years now, every time I see it I wonder what the? I have no idea how to find something on the internet when I don't know what to call it.
GEDC0182.jpgGEDC0183.jpgGEDC0184.jpgGEDC0189.jpg

My dad was a tool fanatic and he loved unique stuff. He would buy stuff, even though he didn't need one, but just in case he needed one.
BTW the all-thread in the center of the aluminum tube looks to be 1/4." How many views will it take before the mystery is solved?

That's pretty strange looking. All I can think of is using it to stretch a spring by hooking each end and turning the wing nut.

Looks like it pulls apart,,
from the point with the notch so it doesn't slip off a round pin,
then when you turn the wing nut the roll pin pulls back...

Sorta like the way a gear puller works...

Teddy

I have used one of those in the past when I changed the muffle bearing on a 1997 Chevy S10. I forgot what it's called but it worked like a charm.

Any chance he worked on carburetors?

Did you ever use a screwdriver to stretch a carb spring, only to have it fly off to who-knows-where? This could be a handy tool to stretch the spring to the right length, then allowing you to slip it in place.

I think I'm thinking of a throttle return spring...

Last edited:
Gus, thanks for the clue. He did work at an aircraft engine repair plant but in more of a management type position. I thought it might be to stretch an O ring but then what is the notch in the pointed tip for? BTW the pointy end is sort of a yellowish color but I don't think it's brass. The notch in the tip has me stumped.

In the second picture the tip has a groove or notch running horizontally in the picture.

I have used one of those in the past when I changed the muffle bearing on a 1997 Chevy S10. I forgot what it's called but it worked like a charm.

Make sure you check your blinker fluid after you do that though.

I believe it's a safety wire tool. Bolts have a hole drilled across the head, and a wire is run from bolt head to bolt head once they're torqued down to keep them from bsacking out under vibration. Fits in with the aircraft engine repair work. I think there's part of it missing. Look for a weird set of pliers.

Close!! It is a wire clamping tool : https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/to/safetywiretools/clamptitetool.php Check out the videos.
Wow, thanks Jeff and all you other creative thinkers. That makes perfect sense now. As with all his tools, I also inherited all his misc.nut and bolt collection (everybody has one) and I recall some of those same type of bolts with holes running thru the tips. I'll probably never need it but I think I'll hang on to it, just in case.

Aaannnndddddddd
We have eek a winnnnaaaaaa...
Hey Bill, this was really cool,, lol...
No kiddin,,
Post another pic of something else from his box...

Teddy

Hey Sooner, I already found the weird looking pliers figured them out. They looked like the pair in rktnut's link on the right side page margin, 2nd down. All these years (12 now) Ive been looking at it and wondering...
Hey Teddy, Im going out in the garage and give that tool box a good look again.

Lol,,,
We'll be waiting to see what your papa had stashed away...

Teddy

Back