CMASS/MMMSC Joint Launch 21 May 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Central Massachusetts Spacemodeling Society and the Maine Missile Math and Science Club will be holding a joint launch at the MMMSC field in Berwick, Maine on 21 May 2016. This is a chance to fly to new heights and meet some new people. As is the policy for both clubs, if you are planning on flying any HPR, bring your current NAR/TAR card showing your certification level.

Jim Flis will be there with his fine line of products. If you need any specific kits or components from Jim, contact him ahead of time and he'll be happy to bring it to the field. Jim will also be flying some more RSO approved prototypes and, good or bad, that's always fun to watch.

Jason will be covering your needs from the bountiful storehouse of AMWProX. Again, if you are looking for something specific, contact Robert, Gloria or Jason ahead of time so it will be sure to be at the field.

We'll be using the CMASS circle set up for low- and mid-power flights with ample high-power pads set up from both clubs that there shouldn't be to much of wait to use one. Set up will begin about 9:30 in the morning with flying beginning when we're ready to go. We're scheduled to fly until 4 PM so please don't save a half-dozen Level 2 certification attempts until 3:30. :wink: Weather conditions will dictate where we set up and how high/long we'll be able to fly. Check here and at the clubs' websites/Facebook pages to see if anything changes.

Let us know what you'll be flying. We've had lots of flyers using the new Jolly Logic Chute Release with pretty good results. We love to have a heads-up on anything really large or unusual.

The construction on Hubbard Road has been completed so you can choose to get to the field from either end.

For those of a mind to attend, there will be the usual "post-launch debriefing" at the Thistle Pig in South Berwick. Their menu is updated depending on what's locally available so check close to the launch to see what may be on it then.

Last edited:
I hope to send up:

Pic 1 - 2013 flight - the Midnight Express (3.4x upscale Big Daddy) on a K740 C-Star
Low and slow flight to about 1500ft. Lots of fire and smoke.
(1515 rail please)

and Pic 2 - Dec 2015 maiden flight - the Golden Arrow on White Thunder - either a K940 (8000ft) or an I540 (3000ft) depending on wind and cloud conditions.

Berwick is a Big Beautiful field which Begs for Big Boisterous flights....

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_8777.jpg

I plan on flying Pollux for another L2 attempt, either on a J335RL, J357BS, or another J290WH. I fixed the crack, got a tighter-packing parachute, and swapped the screws and shear pins so the backup charge will help if the main charge separates the rocket but fails to push the parachute out (again :eyeroll:). I just need to redo my ground testing for the new configuration.

Going to fly the Formula 54 again, but with a chute release. Might do a second go with an I engine if all goes well.
Hopefully I will have my Mac Performance Villian ready to go as well.

I'm hoping to get up there for this launch and at least do the written part of the L2 test.
If I do manage to make it I'll bring my PML Hydra and my new Madcow AreoBee Hi.
The AreoBee is set up for DD but I think I may test fly it as a single deploy/motor eject with the chute release on a small I
I'll also bring along an assortment of LPR/MPR as well.

Ken, If it's possible, could you please have a copy of the L2 Cert test on hand should I get brave and decide to take it? Thanks.

Ken, maybe bring more than 1 copy of the L2 test if you can. I might be brave and take it as well.

Ken, If it's possible, could you please have a copy of the L2 Cert test on hand should I get brave and decide to take it? Thanks.

Ken, maybe bring more than 1 copy of the L2 test if you can. I might be brave and take it as well.

We have received the tests from NAR HQ so there will be plenty of tests available.

And you're just the boy to be boisterous.

Two rockets, two motors - that doesn't sound right. Maybe a cluster saucer to please the crowd up close?

It would be my pleasure...

We have received the tests from NAR HQ so there will be plenty of tests available.

Does an L2 + an L2 = an L4 ?

Have we have stepped into an alternate (Canadian) universe ?

Now I think I know how Sheldon feels...

I'm planning to come up from RI this weekend. If all goes well, I'll shot for L2 with the Tyrannosaur.
P4170078_ORF.jpg

Try as I might, I couldn't make my schedule work for this weekend. It's killing me!

Have fun, guys. I'll try for the next one.

Back