Gold Foil Sources?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
I'm finishing up a model and am looking for a good source for gold colored foil.

Any recommendations? Candy bar brands would be fine. :D

Bunny,
I bought some "The Paper Studio" metallic red self-adhesive foil at Hobby Lobby. They sometimes have it at 50% off. I believe that it does come in gold. Regular
price is $8 for two 12x36" sheets. I have not tried it yet so can not tell how thick it is.
There is also the the old standby of adhesive monocote, but it really depends on how thin you want the material.

Chas
Charles

I'm sure some fold foil looking vinyl decal material can be found. Lots of gold, gold chrome, gold leaf, gold prism patterns can be found. eBay, craft stores, probably the various rocket decal suppliers may have something in stock.

Bunny:
Let me warn you about Gold foils, Most are Silver with a transparent brownish yellow overcoat that breaks down under UV reverting to Silver over time.

That said: Calon makes a decent Gold foil vinyl (Arlon brand) you can look them up on line they have several to chose from. 3M Gold Mylar vinyls are also good but as mentioned above do break down over time.

Best bet if you want a real gold look is to use REAL Gold leaf. Yes a book is a bit expensive but now days there are spary size available that make the application a good bit easier. You didn't mention what model you're working on but if you simulating Gold insulation blankets. Surface Gold leaf or Pattent Gold leaf will give you a really good looking approximation. See a couple of my LEMs below:) books of 25 gold leafs available from any Sign Supply House. Spray size and other application product can be found on Amazon.
hope this helps a little

LEM-d3-sm_all 4 2pic complete(86dpi)_04-16-03..jpg

Gold Leaf-a_Glass,Surface&Patent 25sht Books 3.375x3.375in 23k_03-04-78.jpg

Leafing Spray Size_SprayCan, Brush-On & Pen & Spray Sealer_11-10-14.JPG

Last edited:
Rollos'. The foil is gold on one side,silver on the other.
Rather thin and fragile,but if they don't get squashed on the way home,it's a nice workable size.
Not to mention the chocolate and caramel.

Rollos'. The foil is gold on one side,silver on the other.
Rather thin and fragile,but if they don't get squashed on the way home,it's a nice workable size.
Not to mention the chocolate and caramel.
Ya, thanks for mentioning the chocolate and caramel...dang, now I want some!

Last edited:
Back