Decanting Spray Paint, A Better Way?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
I sought for an improved method for decanting spray paint than what I have seen in videos using a straw and modeling clay to surface mount to the existing nozzle. Sometimes that works, but often enough it doesn’t and you get paint everywhere. So the prep for this method is iffy and a PIA!

That said, I pondered what I could use to depress the valve and channel the paint into the desired vessel. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Those saved nozzles already fit perfect, so all I need to do is modify it.

The following tools will make this very easy to do. A Dremel, a cutting disk like the one pictured worked excellent. A 1/16” drill bit and a screw eye. On the left is a complete nozzle, and on the right is one with the outer housing carved away. The inner tube section isn’t completely round as it may appear when you first get the housing off, so a little shaping is necessary. Everything up to this point was done with the Dremel and cutting disk as the disk has a roughed grinding/sanding surface on both sides. Got those at Horror Freight btw. A little shaping to the inner tube making it as round as possible and a good flat sanding stick, (not pictured) will help to round it off smoother and clean up the cutting debris. I’m not certain where I got my straws but they were kinda big but not big enough for the new sprayer. So I carefully sanded it down to fit the straw snugly. Then I took the drill bit and drilled about 1/8” into the sprayer, screwed in the screw eye and popped it out. Never mind the little round deflector inside. Apparently its purpose is to force paint into a circular stream for dispensing. It doesn’t hinder the effectiveness of decanting anyway

Low & behold, once I got the straw on and got it on the can, the most beautiful drizzle of paint came forth not too fast, not too slow and nary a mess. From now on, this is my go-to decanting method.

Finally, since there’s acetone in Rusto 2x paint, the nozzles have to be acetone resistant. Cleaned up like a charm. The straw of course has to be tossed. Hope this works for you as well as it did for me.

100_1369 1.jpg

Thanks for sharing Gary, sounds fairly easy to do. If you have some of the aerosol dusters laying around you could use that to clear the straw/tube which depending on the diameter of the straw may or may not work, of course straws are cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Gary, sounds fairly easy to do. If you have some of the aerosol dusters laying around you could use that to clear the straw/tube which depending on the diameter of the straw may or may not work, of course straws are cheap.

Straws are free when you grab a hand full at the fast food joint.....:grin:

I tried spraying directly from the can into a paper bag and nearly got arrested :roll:

Kidding, of course! This is a great tip to keep on file!

I tried spraying directly from the can into a paper bag and nearly got arrested :roll:

Kidding, of course! This is a great tip to keep on file!

Nozzles vary of course. Since Rusto 2X is widely used and I have a bunch of it also, the necessity of concentrating a little for touch ups led me to find a better way to decant it. I'm very tempted to try this for my airbrush also. But my airbrush was bought primarily for paints that don't come in rattle cans. Giving me the option to go with auto colors when I want to.

Back