Estes Firehawk #2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
A kit I had started some time ago....

Estes_Firehawk_2014.jpg

The last couple of days I gave it color. Today the decals were placed on the rocket.

Estes_Firehawk_2014_1.jpg

At first this seemed to be an easy straight forward build but instead it gave me aggravation.
Between the primer coats I must have gotten the body tube in contact with soup.
When I began with the white coat cracks appeared in the paint when it had dried. I had to sand and repaint several times to straighten the situation out.
Applying the old decals also put me on a strain. The decals are very thick and brittle. Both the wraparound and the name decal had tears in them.

If you look at the center fin you will noticed that it looks awkward. That's because the paint is so shiny that your seeing the right fin mirroring on the center fin.
I only noticed this after working on the pictures on the computer.

Last edited:
Very Nice Leo!

Any chance you happened to scan the fins and the decals before building this? I might be able to give it the OR treatment.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

The Firehawk had it's maiden launch today. It flew on a Klima C6-5 for a perfect flight.

Estes_Firehawk_2014_2.jpg

Nice job Leo, the Firehawk looks great!
I recently built one of these, I really like it. I got it in a lot of several kits off Ebay. I wasn't too sure if I liked it or not at first ( I had the same issue with the Vagabond) but once it was built I became quite fond of it. It's flown a few times on Estes C6-5 motors and always puts in a respectable flight. I may try an Areotech D10 some time, but I dislike loosing OOP rockets, or any rocket for that matter.

I LOVE the Firehawk. In fact my brother built a upscale which flies on H & I motors.
If I can find pictures of it, I'll post it here.
Thanks,

Back