Someone talk me out of it, .....quickly.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
I haven't done a build thread in quite awhile. (upscale Astrobee 1500 - back in 2012 - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...e-Astrobee-1500&highlight=astrobee+1500+build ).

Since the wife and I got settled in after an extensive home renovation, I started unpacking some kits.
Took a look at my Semroc Saturn1B kit and got to thinking.............wouldn't that be cool as a multi cluster motor - upscale. ?

I'd be doing something more conducive to my building space and skills than Vern Hoags /Steve Eves Saturn 1B monsters, something more economical but fun to fly.
Bigger than Apogee, Semroc or Sheris kit - they were in the 1/70 - to 1/48 scale, IIRC.

Preliminary calculations using eight 3 inch diameter body tubes in that fin can indicates something on the order of 10.7 feet tall. :y:

Last edited:
You are asking the wrong group - we are the enablers....not ones to talk you out of it.

So when is the build thread starting?

Only in allowing the subconscious mind to fly untethered will you achieve happiness. Your initial thoughts and feelings are accurate and true. You are destined to build and attain your dreams.

MaxQ....are you talking about doing a Saturn 1b build thread?? I think it would be un-American to talk you out of that! That is NASA's cooloset looking booster ever flown!!

MaxQ....are you talking about doing a Saturn 1b build thread?? I think it would be un-American to talk you out of that! That is NASA's cooloset looking booster ever flown!!

Yep....I've done some preliminary calculations...and yes, it is one of the coolest scale subjects.
Not looking forward to scratch building another Apollo escape tower - but the 1/18th built up one from my Little Joe II is a bit too large to reuse.....thing would be way too big, for me anyway.

LBJ%20-%20II%20Capsule%20and%20LES%20in%20Primer%20JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Yep....I've done some preliminary calculations...and yes, it is one of the coolest scale subjects.
Not looking forward to scratch building another Apollo escape tower - but the 1/18th built up one from my Little Joe II is a bit too large to reuse.....thing would be way too big, for me anyway.

View attachment 290310

Just make a bigger rocket for the escape tower

that is beautiful!

View attachment 290310

I have been dreaming of doing something like this but have no where NEAR the skills necessary! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE build one so I can vicariously see my dream fulfilled!

"Talk you out of it"

:lol::lol::lol:

Best joke I've heard all day!

Bring that beast to life!

Guess I'll take a look at my body tube cache and think it over.
Will need to ponder the transition at the fin section.
I been mulling over this.....or a Long March/Shenzhou for awhile, but the detailed documentation appears much better for a Saturn 1 B.

1446302622705.jpg

Last edited:
Any idea what scale Mark Hanna's was?

Max,
That is all the information that I have about Mark Hanna's Saturn 1B. I found only a few sentences in the Model Rocketeer (NAR publication) Volume 44, Number 5, October 2002. It caught my eye, because Mark also built a 5-inch Gemini-Titan, which I went on to build myself.

Started looking over the range of Saturn 1b kits for comparison.
Semroc's kit comes in at 1/70 scale, or 37.7 in. tall.
Red Arrow/Sheri's 1/48 Saturn 1B kit comes in at 55" tall.

Definitely need to see something bigger for a scratchbuild.

I did some revised calculations using a different drawing.

Using 2 in. dia. body tubes in the eight tube fin can yields a Saturn 1B approximately 72 in. tall (6 ft.) or about 1/36th scale - if my calculations are correct.
This isn't much bigger than Red Arrow/Sheri's 1/48 Saturn 1B kit.
Hardly seems worth the scratch build effort if it doesn't come out much bigger than that.

So, if I go with 3 in dia. body tubes instead of 2 in. , I calculate a 114 in. tall rocket (9.5 ft.) at approximately 1/23rd scale, if I calculated correctly.
Apollo capsule is 6.5 in. diameter 5 in. tall.

Much bigger than that is getting close to the Apollo Little Joe I did at 8.5 dia. While I could use the same capsule and tower that is already built, the thing would be larger than I want to deal with (approx. 12 foot tall).
Transporting the components in a Subaru Outback limits the size as well.

Looking at a parts/component list of materials.

Last edited:
wow! you have Walt Cunningham's signature on that?? I bet he loved it! That BPC cover on the Apollo capsule was an interesting design in and of itself..all kinds of details on that...it was not a smooth cover and I always wondered why it wasn't....

Hey Thanks. Wish it still looked that good, nine flights and the road rash has taken its toll.
(Still has Walt Cunningham's legible autograph underneath though)

this would be awesome!! My Dr. Zooch 1b is a little over 17.5" tall....and I have the Fliskits Saturn 1b that is about 9" tall still to build.....a 72" 1b would be SPECTACULAR!! have you thought about black tank vs white tank version? I would think the transitions will be a big part on this build...at the smaller scales I build you can get away with a less than perfect fit because they are about the size a fingernail...so much detail you can put on this build it would a blast to build I would think!

Started looking over the range of Saturn 1b kits for comparison.
Semroc's kit comes in at 1/70 scale, or 37.7 in. tall.
Red Arrow/Sheri's 1/48 Saturn 1B kit comes in at 55" tall.

Definitely need to see something bigger for a scratchbuild.

I did some revised calculations using a different drawing.

Using 2 in. dia. body tubes in the eight tube fin can yields a Saturn 1B approximately 72 in. tall (6 ft.) or about 1/36th scale - if my calculations are correct.
This isn't much bigger than Red Arrow/Sheri's 1/48 Saturn 1B kit.
Hardly seems worth the scratch build effort if it doesn't come out much bigger than that.

So, if I go with 3 in dia. body tubes instead of 2 in. , I calculate a 114 in. tall rocket (9.5 ft.) at approximately 1/23rd scale, if I calculated correctly.
Apollo capsule is 6.5 in. diameter 5 in. tall.

Much bigger than that is getting close to the Apollo Little Joe I did at 8.5 dia. While I could use the same capsule and tower that is already built, the thing would be larger than I want to deal with (approx. 12 foot tall).
Transporting the components in a Subaru Outback limits the size as well.

Looking at a parts/component list of materials.

wow! you have Walt Cunningham's signature on that?? I bet he loved it! That BPC cover on the Apollo capsule was an interesting design in and of itself..all kinds of details on that...it was not a smooth cover and I always wondered why it wasn't....

Yes, Walt signed it at NARAM 50.
Signed Gus's Apollo Abort model the same afternoon.
I'll have to dig up the pictue of them with Walt.
Vern Estes was signing stuff (my Mars Snooper).
Met Peter Alway and Lee Pfeister of Centuri. Great afternoon.

OK...funny story here.

At NARAM Walt Cunningham was in a tent with lots of folks waiting to talk to him.
When I finally got to see him, I didn't know what to say.
So, I said "Walt Cunningham, Apollo 7! You flew with Wally Schira didn't you?"

He just looked at me, real quiet and stern like.
Then he said,..."Wally Schira flew WITH ME!"

LOL

Last edited:
Back