Rockets4Schools?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So I'm headed up to Rockets4Schools in WI tomorrow...
I'm going to be in a room full of kids with L1 and L2 rockets that will need anywhere from little to a lot of repairs.
Need your help, TRF...
What do I pack?
I've got the basics: 5min epoxy, tape, tape, tape, popsicle sticks for mixing, dixie cups, pliers, razor knife... Help me think of what else to bring.

paper towels, wet wipes, latex gloves. Fixing one fin for the day with 5min epoxy isn't bad.. fixing 20 will be epoxy all over your hands.

I'm going to be in a room full of kids with L1 and L2 rockets that will need anywhere from little to a lot of repairs.
Need your help, TRF...
What do I pack?
I've got the basics: 5min epoxy, tape, tape, tape, popsicle sticks for mixing, dixie cups, pliers, razor knife... Help me think of what else to bring.

Nitrile gloves for using the epoxy.

paper towels, wet wipes, latex gloves. Fixing one fin for the day with 5min epoxy isn't bad.. fixing 20 will be epoxy all over your hands.

Latex???

Please tell me you meant to say Nitrile.

May as well just ingest the Epoxy or use your bare hands.:y:

Anybody can get certified to use whatever level motor, but maybe there should be a construction and safety certification too, as apparently the reason so many Rocketeers have Cancer is that they don't read MSDS or know how to handle chemicals safely???

It all makes sense now.

yeah, i meant Nitrile- that's what i use. I was spacing more than usual when I wrote that.

Ok, fair enough, but come to think of it, I imagine and know that my assumption is true from recently watching tons of youtube "Tutorials".
Some folks think a paper dust mask is a respirator, or that vynil and latex gloves are just fine.
The materials handling I see when I research stuff like fiberglass molding make me feel like Micromiester must feel when he sees me build a MMX bird.

Nothing..they got it all there at the Armory. [gloves if you want]

No kids. They will be doing presentations over at the Hotel 3 miles away.
You will load up 50-70 rockets, take them to Armory , inspect and fix as needed to fly. All card board & plastic. They divide you into teams, each doing 5-7 rockets. Not bad unless you run into "the Doozies"

I did this for 4-5 yrs...you'll have lots of fun. I got one to fix.....just wet gooey mess where fillets should have been...they just used resin, no hardener. Then painted over it! Had to clean it all off and re-build.

Other one was put together with bathtub caulk....what a doozie that was. You have to fix all this, no matter what they do or don't do, so it can fly next day.
My favorite was the one.....when picked up...all the fins fell out, followed by MM tube & C'rs. They just dry fitted parts and scotch taped the fins on!

So only thing you need to bring is a sense of humor & lots of patience. [& maybe a pocket flask to get you through it!]
PS... bring winter coat. It's much colder up there!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Last edited:
CA, Gorilla Glue, wood glue. Extra body tube, couplers and cardboard scrap for reinforcement. Kevlar and Tubular nylon. Needle and thread to fix parachutes. Extra nosecones, hardware for motor retension etc. Tools to remove uncleaned liners from motor and clean cases. Assume nothing!

Need your help, TRF...
What do I pack?

Warm Clothes - We literally launch from out on Lake Michigan. I might be 70 deg a couple miles inland but at the lake in spring it'a always 50-55

RandyL

So that part was fun... Some very well built rockets. Some very well painted/finished rockets. very few of both.
Looking forward to launch.

I hope they all land in the lake. There is very little land recovery area. The Coast Guard picks up all rockets and bring them back to the launch area. A very fun event. If you have never been to RFS you should check it out,

Back