Wildman 4" V2 Stability?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclark989

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently finished a Wildman 4" V2 and it's tipping the scales at 83oz! And that's without a motor! If I put a 2 grain CTI 54mm in it, OR says I need to add about 20 more oz of nose weight to get it to 1.0 cal (CG 4" above CP), which seems ridiculous.

Does the V2 get the short stubby exemption? If so, do I need any nose weight? How much, if any, have you flown this bird with?

I fought off launch fever this past weekend since I wasn't sure, but would love to fly it at my next outing in July. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

I'm flying the DD version. Added no weight and flies straight & true on a 2 grain J430.

I don't know about this kit but the small V2s I have required nose weight. Tail cones help performance but hurt stability. I'd guess the base drag would be from the 54mm tail vs the BT diameter. Maybe less with the tail cone?

My wife has the DD version, and she put the nose weight in hers- not sure how much, but 20 oz sounds about right. Not saying it was necessary, but it's always flown straight as an arrow.

I'm flying the DD version. Added no weight and flies straight & true on a 2 grain J430.

I have the DD version as well, and this is the exact reload I have for it, so that's encouraging, thanks!

I'll bet Tim could answer your question definitively if you call him.

You are probably right. I'll try to get a hold of him.

I talked to Tim about same concern and he said that motor would be fine, no nose weight needed. There is a build thread out there by crazy Jim and he'll tell you the same.

That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I have all my laundry up top like he does so I think i will just go for it next time I get a chance. I think without adding weight its about .5 or .6 cal right now, which should work according to his thread. And that's with a 2 grain motor. I could go to a 3 grain and it would be even better.

Thanks again everyone.

BC

Back