Damaged AT 54mm case?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
FOUND---I have a 2-stage kit I am designing and want to use a section of AT or CTI 54mm case as an inter-staging coupler.
If anyone has a damaged case they can let go, let me know
-Thanks

Last edited:
I got a dented 54/2560 Dr Rockets case (smushed threaded end). I was hoping to get it cut down to a 54/1706, but I haven't tried to get anyone to do it yet. How many inches do you need? Is 4" enough?

Adrian

Because of the length of the upper stage I think I may need more . More like 6"-8" to secure it and have enough to slide up into that upper stage.
Thanks but I'm afraid it's not enough. I wanted to find the thinner walled CTI or AT case instead of a heavier piece from a snap ring case. Also, I don't have a lathe to turn one down on the inside.
Thanks for offering.

Because of the length of the upper stage I think I may need more . More like 6"-8" to secure it and have enough to slide up into that upper stage.
Thanks but I'm afraid it's not enough. I wanted to find the thinner walled CTI or AT case instead of a heavier piece from a snap ring case. Also, I don't have a lathe to turn one down on the inside.
Thanks for offering.

FYI - Dr. Rockets is an AT compatible case, not a snap ring case.

I thought I covered that. I said I would like to have a piece of old AT or CTI case because it is thinner than the heavier snap-ring case.
I could do it but I did not have access to a lathe if I had to turn down the inside of a piece of snap ring case.
I'm just looking for a piece of AT (compatible) or CTI case. I plan to cut off the ends and not use any of the threads.

Dave,

You have been offered what you are looking for. No one here has mentioned snap ring hardware except you. Dr. Rockets is identical to Aerotech hardware.

Last edited:
He did also say that he needed 6-8"... he said 4" wasn't enough.

Dave, ever get the feeling people don't read what's written anymore? Anyway when you get your section of 54 to make the interstate, please post pics of your project. This has always interested me.

He did also say that he needed 6-8"... he said 4" wasn't enough.

He also asks "how much do you need"

My point was Dr. Rockets hardware isn't snap ring and that it's identical to what he is asking for.

We should probably make it clear that Rouse Tech is not snap ring hardware either seeing how that has not been mentioned.

He also asks "how much do you need"

My point was Dr. Rockets hardware isn't snap ring and that it's identical to what he is asking for.

I apologize, I should have stated that any AT compatible or Pro54 case would do because they are thinner and lighter than an equal length of snap ring case. I know there's a bubbled-up one out there somewhere!

Dave, do you need a metal coupler? Why not a length of 54mm fiberglass coupler material? Might be easier to aquire.

Well, as I said, I haven't found anyone who would cut this down (I don't even know if it's possible to re-cut the threads), so I guess you could have as much as you want.
It's just sitting on top of my fridge, mocking me, and reminding me not to clean motor cases over a cement floor...

Adrian

For all intents and purposes, the casing that Adrian is offering IS the Aerotech design... It has the thin wall you need, and comes in red... Aerotech, Dr. Rocket, Rouse-tech all are of Aerotech design, so it has the thin wall you need. Adrian HAS what you need. Tell him how much of it you need and I am sure he will take care of you!

Why does everyone think Dave is clueless regarding Dr Rocket. He knows what's what..... SHEESH!

Well, as I said, I haven't found anyone who would cut this down (I don't even know if it's possible to re-cut the threads), so I guess you could have as much as you want.
It's just sitting on top of my fridge, mocking me, and reminding me not to clean motor cases over a cement floor...

Adrian

I appreciate the offer. Let me look but I think it may work. Would you be able to send me a pic of where it's damaged on the case?
Yeah, I am familiar with all the cases, sold off all my AT compatible stuff 10 years ago. Went with all CTI and snap ring stuff.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow night. I took the case out to the farm to beat out a rather tight liner, and after the liner finally came out and it was all cleaned, I dropped the @#$%^&*
case on the cement floor. It wouldn't have been so bad if the tube was just out of round. That I could fix... But the threads got dented in length wise...
It's hard to explain I guess. But there aren't any blemishes along the whole length of the case, just the threads aren't usable...

Adrian

Adrian, get a machine shop to "chase the threads ". I did the same with a 98mm. Plus I'm sure any decent machine shop could cut and rethread the thing.

Adrian, get a machine shop to "chase the threads ". I did the same with a 98mm. Plus I'm sure any decent machine shop could cut and rethread the thing.

I think they're past the chasing point. I smushed them pretty good. I would cut it down to a 1706, but I already have two of those, so if Dave can make good use of it, I guess that would be OK with me. It does, however have my name and NAR number engraved on it... (that's the part that hurts the most).
My replacement (Thanks, Jimzcatz) doesn't...

Adrian

Last edited:
Dave, I just talked to Ken, he has a 6G Pro 54 that's damaged. Give him a call. Adrian, if you don't need to 1706, go farther down. 1280,852? I bet you could get a 426 and 852 out of it.

I knew he had blistered one and was going ask him later, but thanks for checking. I got this 1/3 Nike Smoke and want do a Tomahawk 2nd stage option.

Pics are posted in Area 51.
But what the heck. I'll post them here, too!
Jim, since I got a replacement case from you, maybe at MidWest Power this fall, I'll give the case to you to give to Eric F (he does this right?), and have it cut to a 1706, cause you can never have too many, right?

Adrian

My buddy did that with his 54/1280. Dropped it on his garage floor. Ouch!

I made an aluminum saddle for the vise, placed the case in it, inserted a 1" wooden dowel, and used a mallet against the dowel to beat the aluminum straight. It still had one slightly tight spot when we threaded in the rear closure, but he flew that case a week later with a J800 in it. Zero issues.

As for use as an ISC... I find that most motor cases fit relatively loosely in the matching mmt tubes. That might allow flexure in the coupling between stages. Flexure between stages isn't good.

If you can get a damaged case to work as an ISC, go for it. But if you want an ISC that fits like a glove, you might consider having it custom made.

View attachment 290238

Last edited:
Back