For all you audiophiles...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking. Be great in me retro 60s /70s man cave.
Bluetooth?

Marvelous dynamics, mediocre depth of soundstange, worthless below 20hz or so, so don't buy these if you are a Pipe Organ fan:wink:

I just bought a pair of B&W's,,
I couldn't find anything that disappears into a wall that sounded decent,, except them...

You can get the audio deal of the century bar none
when Polk make a cosmetic change on a particular model from one year to the next...

Teddy

You can get the audio deal of the century bar none
when Polk make a cosmetic change on a particular model from one year to the next...

+1.

Even though I started this thread, I'm really not a guy that would splurge on something like this...

I just equipped my 12' projection TV setup with an array of 11 Polk speakers to support Dolby Atmos.

I'd still rather have a pair of Wilon WAMMs if I was gonna splurge

74878dd99ee90cb4e63d89cd1d8ab592.jpg

Oh yeah, that's just the full range array. There are also two 6' bass towers - $240,000 in its time.

Last edited:
A pair of K'horns + 400 watts per channel in dorm room = Cracked glass.

I actually passed on a chance to buy a pair when I was in college. "Passed" as in I had basically no money, even if they were only about 2% of the cost of these anniversary models. :)

I do have a pair of Klipsh kg4 in black lacquered oak. Very nice speakers.

I'd still rather have a pair of Wilon WAMMs if I was gonna splurge

74878dd99ee90cb4e63d89cd1d8ab592.jpg

Oh yeah, that's just the full range array. There are also two 6' bass towers - $240,000 in its time.

They also weigh 1200 lbs a piece. They have a great production facility though. I toured it a few years back. :) (Wilson Audio).

I actually passed on a chance to buy a pair when I was in college. "Passed" as in I had basically no money, even if they were only about 2% of the cost of these anniversary models. :)

I do have a pair of Klipsh kg4 in black lacquered oak. Very nice speakers.

Just sold my Kg4's last month

I've still got my kg3's that I got as a wedding present from my wife (of 25 years now).
They go nicely with the (much more recent) Klipsch surround rears and center I got about 15 years ago!
Now if I could just get my Sunfire subwoofer fixed for a reasonable price...
-Ken

+1.

Even though I started this thread, I'm really not a guy that would splurge on something like this...

I just equipped my 12' projection TV setup with an array of 11 Polk speakers to support Dolby Atmos.

No splurging necessary Tim...
When Polk makes a cosmetic ( or any change for that matter ) change to a line of speakers ( I just picked up 2 pair that they changed the feet on ),,
they make brochures,, take advertising pic's,, it's a new speaker,,
they don't advertise or ship to dealers all of the prior model speakers they still have left in stock...
They dump em...
You really can get some fantastic deals from them,, and they ship for free....

Teddy

No splurging necessary Tim...
When Polk makes a cosmetic ( or any change for that matter ) change to a line of speakers ( I just picked up 2 pair that they changed the feet on ),,
they make brochures,, take advertising pic's,, it's a new speaker,,
they don't advertise or ship to dealers all of the prior model speakers they still have left in stock...
They dump em...
You really can get some fantastic deals from them,, and they ship for free....

Teddy

Teddy, yeah, I get that. In fact, my four ceiling speakers were exactly that, overstock's from Polk. When referred to splurge, I was talking about the Klipschorn's.

Teddy, yeah, I get that. In fact, my four ceiling speakers were exactly that, overstock's from Polk. When referred to splurge, I was talking about the Klipschorn's.

What a deal man...
I think they were less then half of list...
I feed em tons of nice clean Adcom horsepower and they sound wonderful...

Teddy

Yesterday I mounted a pair of JBL's over my workbench and put the Cambridge Speakerworks sub in the corner.

Gotta have some music while building rockets. I save the Rocketry Podcast episodes for the road trips to launches.

Nice, Carl!
I didn't know Carver had ribbon speakers. I thought yours were Apogees at first glance.
Gorgeous gear. No such thing as over-the-top.
What all do you have there?

-Ken

Back