I’ve Taken The Plunge…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
20160502_123326.jpg

…down the slippery slope of ‘getting back into model rocketry’.

Today, after a +30-year hiatus, I finally went down to the nearest Hobby Lobby, clutching a freshly printed 40% discount coupon in my bony old fingers, to purchased an Estes Lynx model rocket kit.

Drat! Hobby Lobby didn’t have one. So I ended up going to HobbyTown and ended up paying full retail.

Egads! $14.99 for a mini-engine rocket? I HAVE been away for awhile!

Why the Lynx?

Several reasons – right now, funding for model rocketry is fairly small, since most of my hobby budget will still be going to woodworking and music instruments. The Lynx is small and relatively low priced, as well as appearing to be a more challenging build than most of Estes’ other mini-engine offerings.

Plus, it looks pretty cool.

Upon completion, this model will be graced with a # ’104’ decal. Back in the day, I would mark my rocket fleet with sequence numbers as they were built. #103 was built and flown in 1983, so the Lynx represents a 33 year gap between consecutive model builds!

A significant difference in this new BAR adventure is that I plan to do the most professional quality builds and finishing on any new projects. When I look back at photos of some of my old rockets, many of them could be considered as ‘junk’ rockets. A good number of them were contest models built just before a meet, so were given minimal paint jobs. Another good proportion were ‘experimental’ in nature - boilerplate prototypes to test out different ideas and techniques. Others were ‘frankensteined’ (is that a word?) from usable pieces and parts of prang victims. Most of these were not entirely display-worthy either.

Since I have no intention at the moment to join any clubs or engage in competition, I want my new models to be the best built and displayable ones possible, while still having logged some flights.

This round – it’s quality over quantity!

Happy flying….

Yeah, it always starts innocently enough..."just mini-engines..."

Welcome back, and keep us posted!

Thanks, dhbarr,
I have definitely lurked on CRASH's website. I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to show up sometime. The drive would not be too difficult. Hiway 85 ends right at my neighborhood in Castle Rock.

I have a feeling you'll be joining a club much sooner than you thought. The rocketry bug has bitten you after a 30+ year absence. Before long you'll be wanting to meet and fly with other rocketeers in your area!

so lets see...I will venture a guess that sometime around January 2017 you will be getting into 24mm motors :).
Rex

Thanks, dhbarr,
I have definitely lurked on CRASH's website. I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to show up sometime. The drive would not be too difficult. Hiway 85 ends right at my neighborhood in Castle Rock.
Vehicle access fees are apparently 10 bucks now, so I'd try and carpool if it were me :)

That's how it started for me... just one kit... then after the smell of burnt BP... off the wagon.

View attachment 289953

drat! Hobby Lobby didn’t have one. So I ended up going to HobbyTown and ended up paying full retail.

Just FYI, in case no one has pointed this out to you yet. There are several places online that you can find better prices, especially if you can wait for shipping (and combine multiple rockets for the sake of shipping fees). For example:
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/challenge.htm

View attachment 289953

…down the slippery slope of ‘getting back into model rocketry’.

Today, after a +30-year hiatus, I finally went down to the nearest Hobby Lobby, clutching a freshly printed 40% discount coupon in my bony old fingers, to purchased an Estes Lynx model rocket kit.

Drat! Hobby Lobby didn’t have one. So I ended up going to HobbyTown and ended up paying full retail.

Why the Lynx?

Several reasons – right now, funding for model rocketry is fairly small, since most of my hobby budget will still be going to woodworking and music instruments. The Lynx is small and relatively low priced, as well as appearing to be a more challenging build than most of Estes’ other mini-engine offerings.

Plus, it looks pretty cool.

Upon completion, this model will be graced with a # ’104’ decal. Back in the day, I would mark my rocket fleet with sequence numbers as they were built. #103 was built and flown in 1983, so the Lynx represents a 33 year gap between consecutive model builds!

A significant difference in this new BAR adventure is that I plan to do the most professional quality builds and finishing on any new projects. When I look back at photos of some of my old rockets, many of them could be considered as ‘junk’ rockets. A good number of them were contest models built just before a meet, so were given minimal paint jobs. Another good proportion were ‘experimental’ in nature - boilerplate prototypes to test out different ideas and techniques. Others were ‘frankensteined’ (is that a word?) from usable pieces and parts of prang victims. Most of these were not entirely display-worthy either.

Since I have no intention at the moment to join any clubs or engage in competition, I want my new models to be the best built and displayable ones possible, while still having logged some flights.

Happy flying….

Hobby Lobby only carries a limited selection of kits and motors. For some of the cooler kits and motors with different delays you still have to go online or to the LHS. Many new LPR tricks these days from filling spirals to papering fins.

Hi, All, Thanks for the replies.

EXPjawa - Thanks for the link - those prices are much more reasonable.

Daddyisabar - I've visited some of the threads on the forum covering spiral filling and papering. I was just beginning to explore the surface of this kind of thing back in the old days. Some of my better models had the tube spiral filled with multiple coats of Aero-gloss balsa filler and lots of sanding. Not the ideal compared to some of the techniques I'm seeing nowadays. I used to love the CMR body tubes that had the overlapping spiral layers that required no filling.
I definitely will be pursuing this level of craftsmanship

Right now, I am keeping my rocketry activities very, very low key. My significant other is not especially thrilled to see me taking on yet another pastime endeavor, so I must tread lightly. I am confident in my ability to be fully capable of exercising restraint and being in full control of ......"MUST...........LAUNCH...............ROCKETS..........aaaaaAAAAARRRRRGH !!!!!!"

Would you please post for us---

"I'm really enjoying low power right now,, it's a blast,, no reason for mid power ""..

Then in a month post--
" I'm really enjoying mid power,, what fun this is,,
hp cert is crazy,, there's no reason at all for that"...

Teddy

I really hate to say it,,
but I think Bat's got it down..
level 3 by 2020..

My bet goes on him launching his first AP motor by my 18th birthday.

CRASH flies out of Bear Creek Lake Park, and you wouldn't even have to go through town if you went by Chatfield :D

The CRASH club is a great group to fly with. I started flying with them at the end of last year. There are no annual dues. Instead, they ask for a donation. You do need to pay a park entrance fee, but if you go a lot, a reduced cost annual pass is available.

It's hard to imagine flying in any state park these days, let alone a beautiful one like Bear Creek Lake. Launch site is on far edge of the parking lot in the middle of the picture.

image.jpg

It is a very slippery slope.

I got back into rocketry (2nd BAR period) when I found an 808 #16 camera review on youtube, and thought to myself, "Man, that would be cool if I could put that into a Cineroc".

That was all it took. My quantity of rockets exploded from 40 to >250 in less than 4 years. It's stabilized now (I'm currently in China, where I 1) Can't find local sources for rockets, 2) Can't afford to have any sent to me (at the moment), 3) Can't find the materials needed to scratch build the designs I want to.)

I'm currently in China, where I 1) Can't find local sources for rockets, 2) Can't afford to have any sent to me (at the moment), 3) Can't find the materials needed to scratch build the designs I want to.
I'll send you a rocket and/or materials. Let me know :)

Last edited:

Happy flying….

.... and so it begins.

I got back in after over 30 years away and have since acquired over 300 kits, become president of the local club, driven to Colorado Springs twice (from the Seattle area), for NSL and then NARAM the following year (where I actually won an event), gotten mixed up with the Museum of Flight and telling the story of hobby rocketry there, got my level 1 high power cert on an Estes Leviathan and, and, and ..... you get the idea.

Yeah, mini motors, no competition, no clubs....at first. :D

For those of you who have asked about music stuff:
I play electric violin, acoustic and electric guitars, and acoustic mandolins. I used to be a real 'gear-head,' buying up various effects pedals and other accessories, but since then I have acquired a LINE6 POD500 that takes care of all of my effects needs for gigging. Currently, I'm setting aside budget to pick up a new acoustic/electric mandolin. At the moment, my go-to mando is an antique bowl-back that I have to belly up to a microphone to make it heard over other band instruments. Right now, I play e-violin in the rock worship band at the large church I attend. I also work with a friend in Colorado Springs. We do monthly gigs at nursing homes, art show receptions, and open mic sets at the Black Rose Acoustic Society in Black Forest, CO. I've even been known to do a little street 'busking' on occasion. I play just about any type of music: rock, pop, bluegrass, folk, country, Irish, Celtic, classical, traditional. I've also composed and performed some of my own original material.

Sorry about the double post - senior moment

Last edited:
For those of you who have asked about music stuff:
I play electric violin, acoustic and electric guitars, and acoustic mandolins. I used to be a real 'gear-head,' buying up various effects pedals and other accessories, but since then I have acquired a LINE6 POD500 that takes care of all of my effects needs for gigging. Currently, I'm setting aside budget to pick up a new acoustic/electric mandolin. At the moment, my go-to mando is an antique bowl-back that I have to belly up to a microphone to make it heard over other band instruments. Right now, I play e-violin in the rock worship band at the large church I attend. I also work with a friend in Colorado Springs. We do monthly gigs at nursing homes, art show receptions, and open mic sets at the Black Rose Acoustic Society in Black Forest, CO. I've even been known to do a little street 'busking' on occasion. I play just about any type of music: rock, pop, bluegrass, folk, country, Irish, Celtic, classical, traditional. I've also composed and performed some of my own original material.

And you're a busker... I think we'll get along pretty well. I do balloon art.

…

Happy flying….

Frankenstein should be added to flight cards as an option for those rockets a that are neither a kit nor completely scratch built. Just check the box by "frankenstein". Could go hand in hand with "heads up". I can hear em on the loud speaker already:
"Next up is Mike's Night Witch. Going up on an H250G. *sigh*. It's a frankenstein" LOL

"That's 'Fronk-en-shteen'...it's pronounced 'Fronk-en-shteen' "
-from Young Frankenstein

Back