I’ve Taken The Plunge…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man is that one of my all time favorite movies.. lol..

Teddy

Welcome to the party. I see the TRFers are anxious to get you on the fast track to Level 3 already! Enjoy the "WOOSH-POP" whenever you can, as much as you can, on whatever impulse you can.

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and warm welcomes. TRF truly looks like the kind of place I can hang out and stick around for awhile.

At this point in time, I don’t foresee pursuing any high power certs. With my meager allotment of time and budget for model rocketry, I will have to remain content for now with building and flying LPR. – just something where I can grab a small model or two, set up at the elementary school field just a couple blocks away, and conduct a few launches that don’t require me to try to track rockets to high altitude (at my age 20/20 is hindsight…), and go traipsing over hill and dell searching for downed models.

One of my greatest loves from my earlier rocketry days was in building and flying boost gliders and rocket gliders. These are a lot of fun, even at the mini-engine level. I likely will gravitate more to that.

Also, at this point, I have no inclination to re-join the NAR or get involved with contests, as gratifying as all of that can be. I do hope, however, to be able to visit some of CRASH’s launches in Denver at some point.

Anyway, I’ll still be contributing to the forum, and posting some historical recollection threads (if I can remember them!)

By the way, when did they start calling igniters ‘starters’?

Cheers!

-Ed

When they took the pyrogen off the tips and replaced it with something that is not pyrotechnic.

Several years ago, the BATFE tried to regulate rocket motors. The NAR and TRA hired lawyers and pursued the case to federal court, which resulted in the BATFE deregulating rocket motors and propellant. Except...

Igniters were not mentioned in the decision, which means that technically, they are still regulated. So, rather than put motor dealers in the situation where they can sell you a deregulated motor, but can't include a regulated igniter, see above.

You probably remember the old Estes igniters with the black tip. Now they have a white tip, and I see about 50% of them fail to light the motor at every launch.

You will see the terms "starter" or "initiator" used for the new igniters. And people can buy or make pyrogen to dip them in at home, provided you obtain a LEUP and store them correctly, or just don't tell anybody. :kill:

So basically, it's another typical case of bureaucrats trying to fix something that ain't broke, and screwing it up for everybody....

You probably remember the old Estes igniters with the black tip. Now they have a white tip, and I see about 50% of them fail to light the motor at every launch.

I lost about half of the ones I tried on an unmodified Estes E Beam controller. I lost zero on a solid 12v system. Sample size of ~10, YMMV.

*edited post* someone beat me to it. Was gonna throw in Eye-Gore

Last edited:
Hey, Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and warm welcomes. TRF truly looks like the kind of place I can hang out and stick around for awhile.

At this point in time, I don’t foresee pursuing any high power certs. With my meager allotment of time and budget for model rocketry, I will have to remain content for now with building and flying LPR. – just something where I can grab a small model or two, set up at the elementary school field just a couple blocks away, and conduct a few launches that don’t require me to try to track rockets to high altitude (at my age 20/20 is hindsight…), and go traipsing over hill and dell searching for downed models.

One of my greatest loves from my earlier rocketry days was in building and flying boost gliders and rocket gliders. These are a lot of fun, even at the mini-engine level. I likely will gravitate more to that.

Also, at this point, I have no inclination to re-join the NAR or get involved with contests, as gratifying as all of that can be. I do hope, however, to be able to visit some of CRASH’s launches in Denver at some point.

Anyway, I’ll still be contributing to the forum, and posting some historical recollection threads (if I can remember them!)

By the way, when did they start calling igniters ‘starters’?

Cheers!

-Ed
At one of the recent CRASH launches a forum member brought out his old Orbital Transport that had not flown since Ford was President. It flew again in the 21st Century and was still a crowd pleaser! Recently an Astron Farside went up, a real blast from the past. A Centuri Space 1999 Eagle will hopefully go up soon, it will be upgraded for better performance, a sort of resto-mod.

Don't be surprised if you hear 5-4-3-2-1 START vs. the old launch lingo of 5-4-3-2-1 LAUNCH.

At one of the recent CRASH launches a forum member brought out his old Orbital Transport that had not flown since Ford was President. It flew again in the 21st Century and was still a crowd pleaser!

Daddyisabar tends to exaggerate, my Orbital Transport is from the Reagan era ... :)

Ford? Reagan? They're all the same...Meh!

Anyway, it's cool that you still have an original OT! And you still launch it...

I built one of those back in 1974. I seem to recall that it met its demise at a demo launch our club was doing at a shopping mall. An Orbital Transport model and an asphalt parking lot are not a particularly good mix.

Just a quick update -
The BAR bug has definitely bitten and injected its venom.
I now have an established model rocketry tool kit, an operational launch pad built, my old range box re-supplied and stocked, several various 'chutes and streamers built, and two model rockets on the bench nearing completion.....

Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1! Level 1!

Actually, I just realized that a year ago yesterday I bought my very first rocket. It was the Estes Silver Arrow launch set. 367 days later, I'm L2. We're all happy you've gotten the bug!

Lessee, now...
Big?...Crazy?....Big....Crazy...B...Ooooh, it's so hard to decide!

I'll see if I can make it to one of these...all depends on the missus.
Thanks for the invite....

Back