Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't settled on a design. I've a number of fairly interesting ones that I've developed and simmed over the last year or two; the trouble is picking one. The next thing I had planned to build is ruled out due to clustering two 29mm engines, so I'll have to look at an alternative...

The next thing I had planned to build is ruled out due to clustering two 29mm engines, so I'll have to look at an alternative...
Clustering two 29s would be acceptable according to the previous rules posts. It may be what I do, though I may cluster two 24s instead. If I get off my ass and do it at all, what I have in mind will require some - er - unusual construction techniques.

Clustering two 29s would be acceptable according to the previous rules posts. It may be what I do, though I may cluster two 24s instead. If I get off my ass and do it at all, what I have in mind will require some - er - unusual construction techniques.[/QUOTE] That's what this contest is all about. Not saying 3FNCs aren't welcome.

Last edited:
Okay I admit it, I threw together something just to see if my concept would even work and if it's worth pursuing. Fortunately it did work, so the design of my actual contest entry is underway! Construction/ build thread hopefully will start a couple weeks after Memorial Day. Looking forward to seeing all of the entries.

Hmmmm......OK, I'll bite. Been watching this thread long enough to see that there is a serious interest here. I gots tons of drawings to choose from and had planned my next build after I got done with all this winter stuff. I'll hold off on the next one so I can use it as an entry. I'm in.

I'm in. Sounds like a lot of fun. So many designs
confused-smiley-013.gif
..... which one do I choose?

Hmmmm......OK, I'll bite. Been watching this thread long enough to see that there is a serious interest here. I gots tons of drawings to choose from and had planned my next build after I got done with all this winter stuff. I'll hold off on the next one so I can use it as an entry. I'm in.
And the judge yelled out "Raise the bar" !

Glad your in Gary.
Yes, I too do believe we have some serious interest in this contest. And that amps me up. I was really hoping for a good turn out.
I told the wife I should throw a bunch of odds and ends in a box for a prize. After all, it is a "scratcher" contest.
I said I would make it worth entering and by golly, I meant it.
Good luck dood!

P.S. Have you heard from your side kick..LWB?

Last edited:
I'm in. Sounds like a lot of fun. So many designs
confused-smiley-013.gif
..... which one do I choose?
Thanks. So many designs you say,well, I said if this contest flys, I'll make it a summer event. So,dont throw away any of those napkin drawings...:lol:

I'd love to try except that I'm a slow builder and would probably get DQ'ed because I can't fly anywhere. :( The local club lost its launch site and the next nearest one is over 3 hrs away! Darn... Any solution to this dilemma?
You could build it and mail it to someone to fly it for you?

Find a suitable field, e.g. in a public park, and launch. Just follow the safety code. Your local high school athletic fields are often good choices on the weekends. Clubs are strictly optional. Heck, go with a Micor-Maxx and fly it in your back yard if you've got one.

Good thought! It'd be nice if I were anywhere other than in California and not in/near a major population center. :( No backyard, just a tiny side one with
yellowing grass that's not even big enough for a saucer!

You could build it and mail it to someone to fly it for you?
Ha! That had crossed my mind too! Can't send out the motors though. Are you volunteering? :)

Thanks, guys!!!

ps - There's a slim chance that the club will a new site in time. Slim, very slim...

You guys are really tempting me to let out the top secret builds I'm working on...Road Runner BEWARE!!! LOL

So do we have to post a separate build thread or just post design, a few photos and the flight on this thread?
Tempted you say, well then give in to temptation and have some fun.

I'm thinking we may start a new thread once the contest starts.
TRF Summer Build Off Contestants Thread, or something of the sort.

You guys are really tempting me to let out the top secret builds I'm working on...Road Runner BEWARE!!! LOL

So do we have to post a separate build thread or just post design, a few photos and the flight on this thread?

Don't Do it! Just say No. Turn off the computer and get back to work! :)

Tempted you say, well then give in to temptation and have some fun.

You guys are all just a bunch of enablers!

Thank you for your support! :grin:

Don't Do it! Just say No. Turn off the computer and get back to work! :)

LOL!

No worries Kevin...I think I can both do work and have fun at the same time! :)

Last edited:
You guys are all just a bunch of enablers!

Thank you for your support! :grin:

LOL!

No worries Kevin...I think I can both do work and have fun at the same time! :)
That's rite, you can do both ha ha. Sounds like a potential name here.. "The Enabler"

General Rules
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design.

Clarification question on "original design": Does this rule apply to the actual model rocket design rather than the subject? So an entry of an existing F-16 fighter (or some established fictional craft) is valid as long as I'm not copying/cloning the Centuri Fighter Fleet F-16 or like? or does the entry have to be completely original in that it has never been shown in any form (model rocket, real life, fictitious, or otherwise)?

Thanks. :)

Speaking, well, typing as not the contest organizer, my 2 cent opinion is that it should be acceptable if the actual design is your own even if it is derived from some established thing. Now, I would also think that originality would be a big part of the open "how cool is it?" judging criteria, but just how big is up to the judges, i.e. everybody who takes the time to vote.

Clarification question on "original design": Does this rule apply to the actual model rocket design rather than the subject? So an entry of an existing F-16 fighter (or some established fictional craft) is valid as long as I'm not copying/cloning the Centuri Fighter Fleet F-16 or like? or does the entry have to be completely original in that it has never been shown in any form (model rocket, real life, fictitious, or otherwise)?

Thanks. :)
So an entry of an existing F-16 fighter (or some established fictional craft) is valid as long as I'm not copying/cloning the Centuri Fighter Fleet F-16 or like?

Yes, you are good for launch.
Just so others know, when I did decide to go ahead with the Summer Build Off, I asked 2 others here on TRF to help with and keep the rules as clear as possible.
And also to help with any GRAY AREA questions. I believe doing this keeps this contest as fair as I possible can.
Thanks for all the support and interests.
Scotty Dog

Last edited:
Of course I'd love to enter this... However, I'm kinda limited in what I can do here in China. :sad:

Maybe next time.

My primary design backlog is all HPR stuff, so no luck there, but, my secondary backlog... well I've got some ideas that need testing. There are some there that could make for a fun summer build.

I'm in!

Martin Jay McKee

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This IS going to be good!
Might have throw another chip in the "Kitty" :wink:

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This IS going to be good!
Might have throw another chip in the "Kitty" :wink:

Looks like there's going to be a lot of competition here. I better get more selective with my choosing. Maybe when LW gets back from Disney World, he can help me sift through the dozen or so, concepts I have on the drawing board.

Looks like there's going to be a lot of competition here. I better get more selective with my choosing. Maybe when LW gets back from Disney World, he can help me sift through the dozen or so, concepts I have on the drawing board.

Yeah, maybe then he can also update his Apparition build thread. :flyingpig:

:wink:

I sent him a PM. Tried to entice the man a bit.

So an entry of an existing F-16 fighter (or some established fictional craft) is valid as long as I'm not copying/cloning the Centuri Fighter Fleet F-16 or like?
Yes, you are good for launch.

Great! Thanks for the clarification and for putting this contest on! I think I'm good except for the launch part...
Definitely lots of competition but I'm in it for the fun. Good luck to all! :)

Not only did you suck me into this but now I have to come up with something cool for the judges! Gonna be venturing into some new territory for me but that is what competition is about isn't it? I may not have attempted this design otherwise, thanks for the push Scotty!

Back