Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, Ill go with this.
Accepted;
Max dia. motor = 29mm
Clusters
Multiple Stages.

And I found this info on NAR page about Level 1 cert.
Keep it under Level 1
Again Max Dia 29mm This is my rule.

1.Models containing multiple motors with a total installed impulse of 320.01 Newton-seconds or LESS
2.Models containing a single motor with a total installed impulse of 160.01 Newton-seconds or LESS( I don't know max N-s on a 29mm, but as long as its under the 160 N-s.)
3.Rockets that weigh LESS than 53 ounces (1500 grams)

I hope I got it correct as far as UNDER Level 1

Please help me keep this contest simple.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if there's any particular voting bias towards larger or smaller rockets, given the wide range of eligibility.

Also, though against forum etiquette. Posting the fully hashed out contest thread in low power might gain more entries seeing how the contest boils down to : design, build, document, and fly your own low power rocket, coolest by governed vote wins.

then again that might lead to a bunch more drama and rockets that don't meet the rules lol

While reading this thread, MindSim kicked out a pretty wild design. I don't know if I'll be able to build it and am even less confident it'll be stable, but I'll give it a go.

After Memorial Day, of course.

I'd love to try except that I'm a slow builder and would probably get DQ'ed because I can't fly anywhere. :( The local club lost its launch site and the next nearest one is over 3 hrs away! Darn... Any solution to this dilemma?

Ill go ahead and enter. Been playing around with some designs....

Firm up the rules and give me a theme, and I'm in!

I haven't entered a contest since DESCON. I miss those days!

Firm up the rules and give me a theme, and I'm in!

I haven't entered a contest since DESCON. I miss those days!
Theme is "OPEN". Simple enough?
Final rules will be posted before the start. Im working on them with 2 others from the forum.

Thanks

Open it is!

I've had a design in my head for a couple of years now for a certain build. Guess it's time to hit the shop.

Thanks for putting this together.

I'm in.
A leeeeeetle bit unclear on motor options.
Sounds like needs at least a single 29 mm (not sure, but I think if you cluster 29 mm you are close to if not exceeding HPR) or multiple (cluster or staged) 24 mm?
Must build and fly safely by end of summer.
Document a safe flight (? video required, or just stills of pre launch, launch, and post launch.
Judging is going to be popular vote on TRF?
Basically judged on "cool factor"?
JAL can't enter his Rube Goldberg Lander cuz he started it before this summer (that may take people back!)

Current Draft of the rules (not final but it's the jist of the contest).
Da Rulez

General Rules

1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-Off" will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are as follows:
A. the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

B. The largest motor used in the rocket may be no larger than a 29mm OD.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Prizes
1. The prizes will be distributed as a "kitty box" type manner. All prizes will be placed in a pool. The first place entry gets the first choice on their prize, second place gets second choice, etc.

Last edited:
Current Draft of the rules (not final but it's the jist of the contest).

Da Rulez

General Rules

1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-Off" will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by the end of the competition. Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are that the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Thanks Matt.

Here's another cool bird dug out of the pile going in the kitty box.
Man, I have to admit, Im getting pretty amp!

DSCN3507.JPG

Last edited:
Scotty Dog This going to be a great contest. It will be interesting to see what everyone has on there mind .Once the creative juices get flowing the sky is the limit - well sort of . Good Lucky everyone.

Doc

Scotty Dog This going to be a great contest. It will be interesting to see what everyone has on there mind .Once the creative juices get flowing the sky is the limit - well sort of . Good Lucky everyone.

Doc
I like that...I think we can use it as the theme..."The Annual TRF Summer Build Off" where "The Sky Is The Limit"

Thanks

I definitely like the part about waiting till after Memorial Day, one less thing to deal with between now and my L3 cert flight that weekend.

Also, though against forum etiquette. Posting the fully hashed out contest thread in low power might gain more entries seeing how the contest boils down to : design, build, document, and fly your own low power rocket...
Or mid-power or Micro-Maxx, which have their own sub-fora. Too much cross-posting.

The local club lost its launch site and the next nearest one is over 3 hrs away! Darn... Any solution to this dilemma?
Find a suitable field, e.g. in a public park, and launch. Just follow the safety code. Your local high school athletic fields are often good choices on the weekends. Clubs are strictly optional. Heck, go with a Micor-Maxx and fly it in your back yard if you've got one.

Two questions:

Does the build have to start after Memorial Day? I have a rocket in the hopper that I would enter but is already half built. It will be complete and flying by Memorial Day since that's my local club's launch.

This particular rocket has a 38mm hole. Is it OK to fly it on a 29mm motor with an adapter?

Muchas Gracias!

Two questions:

Does the build have to start after Memorial Day? I have a rocket in the hopper that I would enter but is already half built. It will be complete and flying by Memorial Day since that's my local club's launch.

This particular rocket has a 38mm hole. Is it OK to fly it on a 29mm motor with an adapter?

Muchas Gracias!
Technically yes. The build should start after MDW. I mentioned that it would be to easy for some to take one out of the built pile. We ( 3 of us TRFers)
have turned back someone that already started a build.
As far as the motor, I believe it states no motor bigger than 29mm. Does not say motor MOUNT size..... :wink:
And again, it has to be your own design.

Technically yes. The build should start after MDW. I mentioned that it would be to easy for some to take one out of the built pile. We ( 3 of us TRFers)
have turned back someone that already started a build.
As far as the motor, I believe it states no motor bigger than 29mm. Does not say motor MOUNT size..... :wink:
And again, it has to be your own design.

Oh, nobody will question that it's my own design! Thanks for the answers, no big surprises, just wanted to see if I could throw in the guy on the right. It may be 3FNC, but at least they're COOL fins!

IMG_0592.JPG

Repeating that would be boring, so it'll be something very different. :cool:

I have an idea floating around in my head that I am ready to start cutting on. I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks to start.

I have an idea floating around in my head that I am ready to start cutting on. I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks to start.

Cool beans!
Starting to look like we should have a bunch of cool build threads to follow this summer.
Thanks

Back