Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the components are basically the same size, no.big deal at all. Sometimes, OR has small size differences in component diameters and it will show this warning. One that I built a year or so ago did have a small difference between the nose cone and body tube but this was easily dealt with by sanding the nose cone a little more during finishing. If it really is a large difference, then more drastic measures must be taken to fix the issue.

Ha! That had crossed my mind too! Can't send out the motors though. Are you volunteering? :)

Be glad to fly it for. Will spot you the engines too, if needed.
We've got like a 10K waiver or something in Memphis, not that we frequently fly anything that high

Be glad to fly it for. Will spot you the engines too, if needed.
We've got like a 10K waiver or something in Memphis, not that we frequently fly anything that high
That would work for me. Doesn't matter who or where it flies .

One question from me. Is making mold masters considered part of the build? I have been playing around with ways to form a master that would be needed to fabricate a part of my design and one of my trials looks like it will actually fit the bill quite nicely. If you would consider it's as a part of the build, I will hold off on any further work for until next week. It is just a rough form right now and will still need final shaping and finishing to be of any use.

One question from me. Is making mold masters considered part of the build? I have been playing around with ways to form a master that would be needed to fabricate a part of my design and one of my trials looks like it will actually fit the bill quite nicely. If you would consider it's as a part of the build, I will hold off on any further work for until next week. It is just a rough form right now and will still need final shaping and finishing to be of any use.
Your fine.
100! YAAAAAAAAAAA

1 week to go......!!!!!!!!!!!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

1 week to go......!!!!!!!!!!!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

You either need to go up on your medication or get out more! :smile:

The only thing I'm a little unclear about is whether or not we should post a completed build thread. I'm guessing it wouldn't really matter, but for those of us getting email notices, our inboxes are gonna get slammed with every posting from a bunch of folks. Not to mention, how the contest thread is going to dominate the board pretty much all of the time if we all post in stages like most build threads do. That much email might make some poor lonely old fart feel kinda important.......:rofl:

I'm going to do a build thread in the scratch build forum and post a link to it on this thread.

How about at minimum make a post here with 5 pics*?
  1. Concept/sketch/sim/ork pic
  2. Construction
  3. Completion
  4. Launch
  5. Intact Recovery

And if so desired, you can also add a link to the build thread. :)

*I actually started with 3...but the list grew. :cyclops:

How about at minimum make a post here with 5 pics*?
  1. Concept/sketch/sim/ork pic
  2. Construction
  3. Completion
  4. Launch
  5. Intact Recovery

And if so desired, you can also add a link to the build thread. :)

*I actually started with 3...but the list grew. :cyclops:
We sure wouldn't need a thread where someone posted 8-9 pics on how they meticulously cut an airframe to the desired length....(referencing one that showed several pics just getting the kit bag open)

I think we should post a sketch/OR just to get it approved before a build.. You'd hate to have someone start something and have it get disqualified.
after that I'll go along with whatever haha, one huge thread..links to individual threads..photo limit..etc

I'm going to do a build thread in the scratch build forum and post a link to it on this thread.
This is a good idea.
But I'm thinking to start a clean/new "Summer Build Off" thread where contestants can post their links.
I'm working on this with the others.
One way or the other, I'm sure we will have it figured out by start date. This (running a contest) is all new to me.
I see no reason the builds ALL could be linked to "Scratch" forum. That's what its for anywhoo.

SD

Last edited:
We sure wouldn't need a thread where someone posted 8-9 pics on how they meticulously cut an airframe to the desired length....(referencing one that showed several pics just getting the kit bag open)
No kit bags allowed. :bangpan:

This is a good idea.
But I'm thinking to start a clean/new "Summer Build Off" thread where contestants can post their links.
I'm working on this with the others.
One way or the other, I'm sure we will have it figured out by start date. This (running a contest) is all new to me.
I see no reason the builds ALL could be linked to "Scratch" forum. That's what its for anywhoo.

SD

Maybe you should call it a "Summer Scratch-off". :)

KpkjT1uciFYsS2mABcz1nEAa7iiu--uGQCNaboXAETznCrRGVMh0RpKAGPHxzeKMNfhQ=w300

Ok. I asked cwbullet how he managed the contest when he ran them.
This was the reply and this is how it will be done.

I did a master thread - they announce they are participating with a link to their thread. Latter, I clean up the thread and post a poll in a follow up thread to pick a winner.

Design 95% complete.
Acquisition of custom fabricated parts begun.
RockSim/OR file will not be possible due to - er - unusual geometry.
3D CAD model from another program will probably not be possible due to the 3D-crippled nature of the designer/builder (me) but perhaps I'll try.
So my build thread will just have to make due with photographs, and design verification with swing tests.

This is a transparent attempt to pique your curiosity.

Back