Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this mean there are actually just 52 TRF addicts out of the teeming masses of registered members?

I think there are a boatload of people around here who are completely uninterested in any design smaller than 4" in diameter and sporting a motor lower than J impulse.

I think there are a boatload of people around here who are completely uninterested in any design smaller than 4" in diameter and sporting a motor lower than J impulse.

Although I am probably part of that group, I voted anyway as I thought the designs were fabulous!

I suspect some portion of folks don't even know about it. Many seem to only look at certain subforums, and this notice hasn't been plastered all over the site, just in a couple of places. I don't know where you could put a notice that ensures everyone would see it, short of a banner on the front page which would require help from the admins.

I suspect some portion of folks don't even know about it. Many seem to only look at certain subforums, and this notice hasn't been plastered all over the site, just in a couple of places. I don't know where you could put a notice that ensures everyone would see it, short of a banner on the front page which would require help from the admins.

I've seen a few references to "I'd have entered if I knew about it", so yeah, I agree. The contest really wasn't widely publicized until the voting, so a lot of people that didn't regularly visit the scratch build section may not have even seen it. With that said, I think that there was a suitable number of entrants for the first go-around at it, and there has been a sufficient number of votes, for now. Enough to have variety in design and enough to have fair voting. Perhaps next time it'll be a little bigger.

Congratulations to the winners!!
A HUGE "Thank You" to all.
The builders, voters,viewers, and Admins.
Super "Thank You" goes out to Mat (blackbrant) for taking care of the tech end of the build off.

So, Ill need Flyfalcon to pick from the prize kitty and then expJawas gets to pick so then Kenecoyot gets the other.

And I need real names and addresses from yous all.
PM me.

Later
Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You all made it a wicked cool contest!!!
I loved how everyone helped each other out even tho yous all were going head to head.

I already have ideas for next summers build off.
Limited parts/ bag-o-parts and maybe a theme to boot. Make it a little tougher. This summers was wide open.
Automatic entry if your bird CATOS!
Maybe a rule for a judgement call on failure do to a recovery glitch.

Scotty Dog

Last edited:
Congratulations to the winners!!
A HUGE "Thank You" to all.
The builders, voters,viewers, and Admins.
Super "Thank You" goes out to Mat (blackbrant) for taking care of the tech end of the build off.

So, Ill need Flyfalcon to pick from the prize kitty and then expJawas gets to pick so then Kenecoyot gets the other.

And I need real names and addresses from yous all.
PM me.

Later
Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You all made it a wicked cool contest!!!
I loved how everyone helped each other out even tho yous all were going head to head.

I already have ideas for next summers build off.
Limited parts/ bag-o-parts and maybe a theme to boot. Make it a little tougher. This summers was wide open.
Automatic entry if your bird CATOS!
Maybe a rule for a judgement call on failure do to a recovery glitch.

Scotty Dog
The kitty box

DSCN3498.JPG

DSCN3500.JPG

DSCN3507.JPG

Thank you, and congratulations to everyone else for participating in the competition. I really mean it when I say I was blown away by the variety of the very creative designs that everyone came up with. Just way too cool.

A big thanks to Scotty and Blackbrandt for running the contest. I'd like to give Scotty a break (and the chance to compete) next year, and chair the contest. I have some ideas that are similar to Scotty's for the event. How about a kitbash contest, where everyone starts with the same kit, and can use literally anything in the bag, as well as the bag itself? I think that would be a ton of fun to see what people could come up with.

Scotty, I'll PM you in a bit. That Kraken is calling my name. Thank you so much for donating the prizes. It has been a real pleasure participating!

I liked this contest exactly because it was so open. I'm not sure I'd have entered a "confined" contest rather than one that let me pull out an old idea I'd never got around to and run with it. I might never have got around to it if not for the contest. But that's just me, and if popular opinion calls for something else then so be it.

I liked this contest exactly because it was so open. I'm not sure I'd have entered a "confined" contest rather than one that let me pull out an old idea I'd never got around to and run with it. I might never have got around to it if not for the contest. But that's just me, and if popular opinion calls for something else then so be it.
The whole idea with the "OPEN" was to keep it as simple as possible. Even with it "OPEN" as it was, we still had a few issues in the gray areas.
As far as you saying you may not have entered if confined..well,maybe you would have entered.
You did build a bird you didn't think you would get around to build...sooooooooooooo
And that was/is me prize..the fact that I inspired many a great minds.
Thanks

Scotty Dog

Last edited:
Looks like we have the makings of a couple of contests here! I thought that the open design option really inspired people to try new things and tipped the scales for us to go ahead with that idea that has been floating around Mindsim for a while. A kit bash could easily inspire much of the same creativity and possibly bring in some folks that are intimidated by the idea of a completely scratch rocket. Maybe we have the makings of a summer contest and a winter contest...

They were all winners. Congrats and Hi-5 to the 3 best.

View attachment 301410

Agreed! I was too busy to participate, but saw a lot of really cool things come from the whole thing in general, so I look forward to the next one of these types of things.
It's nice to see folks have to think outside of the 3-4fnc realm for a reason, then watch them go for it with their own creative and really well thought out designs.

Two away, running hot straight and normal.
Still looking for an address for bird #3.

If he don't want it, I'll take it. I prolly came 4th place anyway, right? :wink:
U came very close to 3rd actually. Only 3 pts dif. Now ya know. Can ya live with it?
I'm glad I didn't have to be a tie breaker vote. That would have sucked making that choice.

Last edited:
If he don't want it, I'll take it. I prolly came 4th place anyway, right? :wink:
IDK
You may end up with the 3rd place prize after all.
STILL HAVENT HEARD FROM KEN with an Address.
Anybody know this guy..let him know I aint waiting forever.

Back